What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST HALFBACK EVER

ozzie

Bench
innsaneink said:
knights 2004 said:
ozzie said:
what a joke - how old are yu guys - here have been briiliant halfback going back in time...examples -

Kevin Junee - fast as a bullet great attacker and a wondrful player
Horrie Hastings - tough as teak - would kill all these modern players off a break.
Peter Sterling - one of the best halfbacks i have seen
Monkey Mayes - good team player and wonderful runner of the ball.good link man
Steve Mortimer - great all round player
Tommy Bishop- nearly got a young team over the line for Cronulla's first premiership -
Tom Radounkus - what ever-this guy was tough - and a great captain

I haven't even sctratched the surface but yes Johns is as good as what I
have seen - but the rest - forget them...they are just a plain imitation of better players

IMO Mayes and Hastings dont deserve to sit with that group.....Johnny mayes was good, very good but not with the best of em...Hastings as was mentioned before tough as and very good, maybe could just sneak in.

Sterlo would be my pick as the best although Raudonikis is one of my all time favorite players. Sterlo could read the game even better than Johns IMO, it was like he knew what would happen on the 5th tackle when it was only the 2nd tackle...

I agree with your choice - shame he has now lost his hair and his nose seems to get longer - but a great footballer...i would like to see hastings play in this era - because he would certainly put a few of the pretenders on their bums...

Someone mentioned Billy Smith - a great player too - another one that the current mob wouldn't like to run across...

sydraider

First Grade
With those i have seen play and this is in no particular order
Stuart
Sterling
Johns
Langer

I also would have Greg Alexander in my top 10, i feel he was underrated.

Booyah

Bench
Raider_69 said:
Booyah, the avater says/implys it all
fool!

I'm not saying Kimmorley is the greatest Halfback ever. All I'm saying is that Kimmorley would be more deserving of a title like that then Gower.

Now go run along with Optimus.

Kiwi

First Grade
Alfie Langer is the best to play. His short kicking game was second to none, so was his passing game, he defended well, he had it all. He was awesome from the day he burst onto the scene in 87 till the day he retired in 2002. In his debut origin series he made Sterlo look like a nobody. In his final origin game at 34/35 he did the same to Fittler and the ENTIRE NSW team.

simon says

First Grade
kiwi knights fan said:
1 Johns
2 Sterling
3 Langer
4 Stewart
5 Mortimer

I reckon thats the top five that I have seen.

I read in an earlier post that Mortimers defense was a weakness.

Well he is one of the best cover defenders I have ever seen so I think thats a bit unfair....and for the record I hate the dogs so there is no bias there IMHO.

innsaneink

Referee
simon says said:
kiwi knights fan said:
1 Johns
2 Sterling
3 Langer
4 Stewart
5 Mortimer

I reckon thats the top five that I have seen.

I read in an earlier post that Mortimers defense was a weakness.

Well he is one of the best cover defenders I have ever seen so I think thats a bit unfair....and for the record I hate the dogs so there is no bias there IMHO.

I agree with you 100% simon...JESUS!!!...someone stop the presses!!!
First time for everything huh?
I saw that what someone said about mortimer defence was a weakness....I can still see him in my minds eye cutting down flying wingers, Grothe got stopped by him quite a bit too!

simon says said:
thuganomics said:
Johns Has ruled this era IMO
Of course he has,he is the best by a mile,won pemierships,captained NSW and Australia to victory....

What more do you want the bloke to do....

He is the first ever complete footballer to play half....there are no weaknesses in his game.......no 1.Other halves there was always some part of their game that was weak....ie defense,kick goals etc.....

He has the lot.

That's only that you have seen.

As for no weaknesses I think he has one with his temperament when things are going against him and he is rushed. Which is exactly what would have happened to him under the old 5 metre rule. Sure he rules the 10 metre era with Langer. But you can never ever say ever when you have not seen everyone.

I could say Keith Holman was more complete he reffed as well. ;-)

Booyah

Bench
He is the first ever complete footballer to play half....there are no weaknesses in his game

Everyone has a weakness and Joey definantly has one. Like someone else said, his temper is definantly one.

When people are rushing up at him and he can't weave his magic he gets frustrated and lashes out at people. ala forearm to Dykes head in 2001. Or when Cronulla thrashed Newcastle at Shark Park in '02 he was very frustrated and was screaming at everyone - then he hit Kimmorley with a cheap shot.

I would definantly say his Temper is a weakness because people are able to exploit it so easily

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
Best Ever Billy Smith/Amdrew Johns/Peter Sterling Cant be seperated.
Up and comers Brett Firman will be THE best in 5 years and also Michael Witt will play second fiddle to Firmo.
Overrated: Steve Mortimer and Craig Gower. Turvy had his days but a top bloke who didnt really like running anywhere near the fowards and didnt like defending a great deal. Gower has had one good season and people are calling him a god and this will be his last good season.
Tough Bastards: Tommy Roudonikas great player and a mean piece of work who could put an opponent of his game with ease. Craig Coleman a real annoying player got under his oppositions skin and put them off there game. Geoff Toovey like Craig used his mouth to sledge and basically piss his opposing man off.

Thats my wrap up.

innsaneink

Referee
Salmon said:
Tommy Radonaukis definetley though. One of the greatest ever league players.
Tough as nails on the field but off it you couldn't meet a nicer bloke, and what a character...met him briefly once when i was younger...would love to have a few hours and a beer or 9 with him :lol: :oops:

blaine train

Juniors
Alfie Langer is the best to play. His short kicking game was second to none, so was his passing game, he defended well, he had it all. He was awesome from the day he burst onto the scene in 87 till the day he retired in 2002. In his debut origin series he made Sterlo look like a nobody. In his final origin game at 34/35 he did the same to Fittler and the ENTIRE NSW team.

exactly. he was 36 first game played ordinary cause he was sick but than best player in next 2 and johns was nowhere to be seen. he captained 4 premiership wins, was almost the best player every origin series for 16 years and performed in 22 tests. he also had more heart than any other player ive seen. johns still couldnt make halfback over alfie in 1999 when alfie was probaly at his worst form in his career. alfie all the way from what ive seen. 8)

Azkatro

First Grade
Langer proved he is the greatest through sheer ability to adapt to change and still be the best. League in '87 was a very different game but he carved from there. Since then he's adapted to the 10 metre rule, as well as countless other minor rule changes, despite the loss of Lewis as an ally he continued to dominate, etc etc. He was the master of his craft. People go on about Johns being the "complete" player but that doesn't necessarily make him a better half. In his career he has had virtually the same core club squad to play alongside all the way, and couldn't compete with a 36 year old Langer who had supposedly been running out his days in the Super league.

Long live Alfie.

Bozza 1980

Juniors
Peter Sterling was the best ever.

Being my favourite player as I was growing up I think it will be hard for anybody else to compete.

That said all the half backs mentioned Johns, Stuart, Langer, Mortimer etc are all fantastic and in reality it is hard to separate them.

The one string missing from Sterlo's bow is State of Origin, having retired from rep footy at his peak, even then then he was second only to Lewis for SOO MOM awards a champion in every sense of the word!!

SaintTPP

First Grade
McSharkie said:
Andrew Johns is the best player I have ever seen, let alone best half back.
Andrew Johns is the most arrogant player I have ever seen, who has the a huge pole up his arse. All I can say is the game is bigger than one player!