What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST HALFBACK EVER

Macca

Coach
I didn't say he was bigger than the game. I said he was the best player I have ever seen. His arrogance doesn't matter, only his skill. You wouldn't like him cause he's never played for St. Geo-Illa. If he did, he'd be your favourite player. :lol:

SaintTPP

First Grade
McSharkie said:
I didn't say he was bigger than the game. I said he was the best player I have ever seen. His arrogance doesn't matter, only his skill. You wouldn't like him cause he's never played for St. Geo-Illa. If he did, he'd be your favourite player. :lol:
No I just put that statement in because I felt like it :). But you are definately wrong about him being my favourite player if he came to saints, I just dislike the guy with a passion and there's no way he'd be my Fav player...I like Ryles 100000% more than joey (he is my fav player but I love them all)....but if he wore the Red V I would still cheer for him when he scored try's or set them up, but I would never want him to come, just like the Kimmorley thing last year or the one before, I didn't want himto come to saints at all.

:D

Macca

Coach
Well, if you had Joey, you would win the comp. That's all hypothetical anyway. ST. Geo-Illa will never get him or Kimmorley, so it's pointless to talk about. I am very happy Kimmorley came to us and I am sure we will see his best ever footy this year. Go NODDY :!: ;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Peter Sterling
Ricky Stuart

* Day Light*
Allan Langer

Andrew Johns plays against the likes of Scott Prince, Brett Finch, Nathan Fien, Matt Orford

Sterling played against the likes of Langer, Stuart, Hasler, Toovey, Mortimer, Hastings Tommy, Garry Freeman...do i need to say more.

Plus A Johns never played under the 5 metre rule like Sterlo & Mortimer did...no where as near much room i must say, Sterlo's best years where when he had Brian Jackson, Glen Liddiard, Danny Crnkovich, Mark Barnes & Michael Ericksion out side him.....johns's best years where when he had internationals like Gidley, Tahu, M Johns, O Davies out side him.

Johns is a mere rip off of Ricky Stuart.....it's not rocket science to work that out.

Paullyboy

Coach
The 5 metre rule is a very good point, halfbacks from the 80's and earlier had it A LOT harder than the current halves do.

My picks would be Peter Sterling and Keith Holman.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ron has got it spot on again
Johns is a Stuart rip off

The 5 metre rule would show joey up for what he is IMO
Sterlo then stuart

Macca

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
Peter Sterling
Ricky Stuart

* Day Light*
Allan Langer

Andrew Johns plays against the likes of Scott Prince, Brett Finch, Nathan Fien, Matt Orford

Sterling played against the likes of Langer, Stuart, Hasler, Toovey, Mortimer, Hastings Tommy, Garry Freeman...do i need to say more.

Plus A Johns never played under the 5 metre rule like Sterlo & Mortimer did...no where as near much room i must say, Sterlo's best years where when he had Brian Jackson, Glen Liddiard, Danny Crnkovich, Mark Barnes & Michael Ericksion out side him.....johns's best years where when he had internationals like Gidley, Tahu, M Johns, O Davies out side him.

Johns is a mere rip off of Ricky Stuart.....it's not rocket science to work that out.

LOL. :lol:

Sterling didn't have the pace or the size that Johns has. He didn't kick goals and he didn't tackle like a second rower. They both had or have the ability to read the game very well, but the above qualities set them apart for mine.

As for the similarities to Stuart, he doesn't compare either when you talk about size and strength in defence. Didn't kick goals either.

Langer was unique but didn't match Johns in several of those categories either.

The 5 metre rule would have changed the circumstances, yes, but his skills would still shine through. His defence would probably have been better!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
McSharkie said:
Ron Jeremy said:
Peter Sterling
Ricky Stuart

* Day Light*
Allan Langer

LOL. :lol:

Sterling didn't have the pace or the size that Johns has. He didn't kick goals and he didn't tackle like a second rower. They both had or have the ability to read the game very well, but the above qualities set them apart for mine.

As for the similarities to Stuart, he doesn't compare either when you talk about size and strength in defence. Didn't kick goals either.

The 5 metre rule would have changed the circumstances, yes, but his skills would still shine through. His defence would probably have been better!

I would hardly say that John's is a speedster...they would be on level term i feel with speed, Sterlo had a more dynamic step....not to say that John's doesn't have a good step but Sterlo's step was brillant!.

Andrew Johns is bigger then him physically but size is not an issue here....ask Allan Langer, Andy Farrell can kick goals better the Johns and is alot bigger then Tallis....but i would hardly call him the better player.

I have seen Ricky put on some big hit's believe me!!!!....Stuart's passing and general kicking game was far superiour to Johns!!...he was the master, he brought it RL...John's had the easy job of copying it & applying it.

I don't class kicking goals as the working of a master, just ask Ross Conlon & Darryll Halliganl.

The 5 metre rule would have changed the circumstances, yes, but his skills would still shine through. His defence would probably have been better

Langer didn't have John's long kicking & passing game....that is the only category here!!, Where as John's didn't have Langer's evasive, short kicking &short passing game & Langer's of the mark speed.

We don't know how John's would have gone under harder circumstances with the 5 metre rule....nor would we know how John's would have wen't if he didn't have the class players around him or if the quality of opposing half backs where better.

Allan Langer destroyed John's when he was at 35 years of age....John's pissed himself!!, John's also use to get destroyed by Stuart, Brett Kimorley has anihlated John's on countless occasions over the past few years yet all we here is Kimmorley this & that??.

John's is a great modern day player... but when compared to other great half's...i find it hard to compare him to them.

Azkatro

First Grade
McSharkie said:

Since when does having size and pace make you a better halfback? Who cares if Johns can tackle like a second rower; that's what second rowers are there for. The smarter halfback sits back and conserves his energy.

LOL yourself!

Macca

Coach
Tackling like a second rower and having the skills of a great half gives him a huge advantage Azkatro. It is like having another 2nd rower out there, big plus in his favour.

Johns had a huge effect on the premierships Newcastle won. If he wasn't there I doubt they could have won them. Sterling was in a team of deadset all stars when he won his GF's. Fair enough, he played a big part in them but I think it would have had a lesser effect on Parra if he hadn't been there.

Stuart did bring some of the great kicking and passing qualities to footy that we see today. Johnsy simply executes them better IMO.

Langer is the closest to Johns, I think. Had a completley different game to Johns though, so it's hard to compare them. I think the both were similarly effective, I prefer Johns style though, and I am a big Blues fan, so maybe I am biassed on this one.

Kimmorley can't carry the same responsibility as Johns has, although on his day he is probably worhty of being included amongst these. Not consistent enough at this stage to be seriously considered though. Hope he changes my mind this year.

I will throw Tommy Bishop in aswell. He wasn't in the class of these guys, but he wasn't that far behind them either.

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one Ron Jeremy. I think you under rate Johns, and you clearly think that I over rate him. Opinions are opinions, so we will have to leave at that I guess. :)

Raider_69

Post Whore
the only thing that johns has over most great half backs is his goal kicking
whoopy do, goal kicking has nothing to do on how he compares in general play

Macca

Coach
You can't honetly tell me that he isn't up there with these guys Raider. He is as good a player as them in general play(better in my opinion). I am simply highlighting the advantages he has over them. He does goalkick, not a bad thing, indeed it adds to his value. He defence is undoubtly better as he tackles like a lock forward, again adds to his value.

You can't ask for an opinion on the best halfback and then say that defence and extra skills like goal kicking don't count. If you wanted that you should have asked for "the best halfback in general play". For mine, he'd win that too.

For this topic though, Johns is the best (overall) halfback ever.

JJ

Immortal
best I have seen...

1. Johns
2. Sterling
3. Langer
4. Stuart
5. Mortimer

I'm told (by people that should know) that Murphy deserves a place very high (maybe 3?) on that list.

Give Stacey Jones a few years and he will move ahead of Mortimer, and possibly Stuart and Langer on that list.

Nobody has mentione Andy Gregory (thank God!) - Hastings and Tommy R weren't in the same class as the guys on my list.

On his day (admittedly his day didn't come around often enough), Greg Alexander was as good as anyone.

Just my opinion...

Latest posts