What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST HALFBACK EVER

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
It is Alex Murphy by a country mile according to the old man.

A living legend, far, far better than Johns according to my Dad.

That'll do for me.

Hardly any of the 'All time 13' would be Australian ;-)

PINGU

Juniors
I think Horrie Hastings and Peter Sterling are the best 2 halfs I have seen play.

Mortimer, Langer and Johns also rate very high.

simon says

First Grade
PINGU said:
I think Horrie Hastings and Peter Sterling are the best 2 halfs I have seen play.

Mortimer, Langer and Johns also rate very high.

Lol.Hastings better than Johns,thats a classic.Horrie was a hard clubman but best ever??????Cmon????

Johns and then Sterling.Then a gap to the rest IMHO.

knights 2004

Juniors
ozzie said:
what a joke - how old are yu guys - here have been briiliant halfback going back in time...examples -

Kevin Junee - fast as a bullet great attacker and a wondrful player
Horrie Hastings - tough as teak - would kill all these modern players off a break.
Peter Sterling - one of the best halfbacks i have seen
Monkey Mayes - good team player and wonderful runner of the ball.good link man
Steve Mortimer - great all round player
Tommy Bishop- nearly got a young team over the line for Cronulla's first premiership -
Tom Radounkus - what ever-this guy was tough - and a great captain

I haven't even sctratched the surface but yes Johns is as good as what I
have seen - but the rest - forget them...they are just a plain imitation of better players...

sorry grandpa

innsaneink

Referee
knights 2004 said:
ozzie said:
what a joke - how old are yu guys - here have been briiliant halfback going back in time...examples -

Kevin Junee - fast as a bullet great attacker and a wondrful player
Horrie Hastings - tough as teak - would kill all these modern players off a break.
Peter Sterling - one of the best halfbacks i have seen
Monkey Mayes - good team player and wonderful runner of the ball.good link man
Steve Mortimer - great all round player
Tommy Bishop- nearly got a young team over the line for Cronulla's first premiership -
Tom Radounkus - what ever-this guy was tough - and a great captain

I haven't even sctratched the surface but yes Johns is as good as what I
have seen - but the rest - forget them...they are just a plain imitation of better players

IMO Mayes and Hastings dont deserve to sit with that group.....Johnny mayes was good, very good but not with the best of em...Hastings as was mentioned before tough as and very good, maybe could just sneak in.

Sterlo would be my pick as the best although Raudonikis is one of my all time favorite players. Sterlo could read the game even better than Johns IMO, it was like he knew what would happen on the 5th tackle when it was only the 2nd tackle...

Biscuits

Juniors
I didnt think that you could go back too far when the topic is best halfback EVER.
Smith retired the season before Sterlo made his first grade debut. There isnt that much between their 2 eras.

The best I have ever seen is Andrew Johns closely followed by Allan Langer, with Sterling, Mortimer and Stuart rounding out the top 5.

My father has told me the best two ever were Keith Holman and Alex Murphy but they would struggle today because of the speed of today's game. Same as some of the above mentioned would struggle in the tougher (foul play) environment of yesteryear. Also previously there wasn't as much time to execute plays as there is today due to the 5 metres becoming a 10 metres etc etc.

But I'll throw up another one from my Grand father Viv Thickniesse.

So to find your best ever are we looking at todays game ot yesteryears game. :?:

Raider_69

Post Whore
I honestly think that Johns is over-rated, IMO of the players ive seen (1990's) its

1. Stuart
2. Johns
3. Alfie
4. DAYLIGHT

Stuart could do everything that johns could do, Stuart also has one of the great rugby league minds ever... and its shown in his coaching. Johns is good but he no where near the best, i wonder if Channel 9 didnt root him every chance they get weather his name would even be in the top 3

Weather you like it or not, if your told something enough times you'll begin to beleive it and IMO this is exactly what has happened with johns

Red Bear

Referee
Briza said:
1. Johns
2. Sterling
3.Toovey
Toovey? Even without my anti Manly bias Toovey would never be considered in the top 3 halfbacks of all time. A big factor in him being in the Aussie team was Bobby Faulton. Toovey was a good halfback, similar to Jason Taylor being a good halfback, but doesnt have shit on some of the great half backs IMO.