What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST HALFBACK EVER

blaine train

Juniors
joey never performed against the best halfbacks. when alfie come back he was 36 was sick in the first game and johns played well but than in games 2 and 3 you never saw him when langer was playing brilliant. and also look at when kimmorley plays well against him he gets killed. not sayin hes not brilliant because he is but just not against form halfbacks. also he never plays brilliant when his forwards arent movin forward where as fellas like stuart and alfie could play well under any circumstances. also i can only comment on halfbacks of the 90's cause they are the only halfbacks ive seen

Foz

Bench
I always thought Mortimer was better than Sterling. Use to go to a heap of games that both players were involved in and I always thought Mortimer was better.
I think the media may prefer Sterlo but there wasnt enough in it to disagree either way. The game was different then so Johns' game is a lot different. Hard to line them up.
Hastings isnt in the same league as them.
I rated Rickky Stuart highly as well. He was a favourite of mine. When he came across from Union I thought he would be a dud but I'm happy to say I got that wrong. He was a champion player. Nothing between him and Langer either.
The question is too hard with no right answer.

thuganomics

Coach
Raider_69 said:
I honestly think that Johns is over-rated, IMO of the players ive seen (1990's) its

1. Stuart
2. Johns
3. Alfie
4. DAYLIGHT

Stuart could do everything that johns could do, Stuart also has one of the great rugby league minds ever... and its shown in his coaching. Johns is good but he no where near the best, i wonder if Channel 9 didnt root him every chance they get weather his name would even be in the top 3

Weather you like it or not, if your told something enough times you'll begin to beleive it and IMO this is exactly what has happened with johns

How can u call Johns over rated? HAVE U SEEN HIM!

simon says

First Grade
Look,Stuart was a hard player with a good kicking game......

But to say he is better than Johns,well......

I think the old green goggles were working when that was written. :D :D

And Sterling was by far a better half than Mortimer.......

Raider_69

Post Whore
i admitt, Stuart is my all time fav player (besides ben cross) and johns is by far my most hated but i honestly think that Stuart was better
he dominated at S.O.O something IMO Johns is yet to do

Raider_69

Post Whore
but look at the oppisition
Stuart and Langer both dominated in different times but both sqauds were full of modern day greats

these days any gimp can make the rep team as long as your down with the coach
**thinks of Matt Gidley and Brett Kimorley**

simon says

First Grade
thuganomics said:
Johns Has ruled this era IMO
Of course he has,he is the best by a mile,won pemierships,captained NSW and Australia to victory....

What more do you want the bloke to do....

He is the first ever complete footballer to play half....there are no weaknesses in his game.......no 1.Other halves there was always some part of their game that was weak....ie defense,kick goals etc.....

He has the lot.

innsaneink

Referee
simon says said:
thuganomics said:
Johns Has ruled this era IMO
Of course he has,he is the best by a mile,won pemierships,captained NSW and Australia to victory....

What more do you want the bloke to do....

He is the first ever complete footballer to play half....there are no weaknesses in his game.......no 1.Other halves there was always some part of their game that was weak....ie defense,kick goals etc.....

He has the lot.

Well he fights like a girl but that dont count :lol: :lol: :lol:

Special K

Coach
Kimmorley has more of a chance of getting it then Gower for sure.

But both are not the greatest.

From what I have seen I'll say Joey but I have heard great things about other halfs that I did not see.

greeneyed

First Grade
It's probably better not to judge current players against past players in deciding "best ever", as there is more that current players can still prove. Johns is clearly best player in the world at present (when fit) and has exceptional skills. I think it is fair to say he has not dominated in rep football yet to the same extent as some other players though; this SOO series was the first, even he would say that. This was why he was picked out of position so often in internationals. Also he has only won one GF in a full competition, and one in half a competition, so far.

Excluding current players, best halfback I have seen was Sterling, with Stuart close behind, then Langer and Mortimer.

Fibroman

First Grade
1. Johns. Only lacks pace, otherwise he is complete.

2. Sterling. A bit down on pace and physical strength.

3. Langer. Defence was lacking, and long passing game not the best.

4. Stuart. Probably had the game suited more to 5/8. Not the best runner in traffic.

5. Mortimer. Defence and long passing game lacking a bit.

6. Gower. Lacks a bit of attacking flare.

They are my top six in order. I haven't spoken about their positive points as they are too numerous to list, so I stuck to the negatives.

ozzie

Bench
knights 2004 said:
ozzie said:
what a joke - how old are yu guys - here have been briiliant halfback going back in time...examples -

Kevin Junee - fast as a bullet great attacker and a wondrful player
Horrie Hastings - tough as teak - would kill all these modern players off a break.
Peter Sterling - one of the best halfbacks i have seen
Monkey Mayes - good team player and wonderful runner of the ball.good link man
Steve Mortimer - great all round player
Tommy Bishop- nearly got a young team over the line for Cronulla's first premiership -
Tom Radounkus - what ever-this guy was tough - and a great captain

I haven't even sctratched the surface but yes Johns is as good as what I
have seen - but the rest - forget them...they are just a plain imitation of better players...

sorry grandpa

your forgiven my son...