What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best League Commentators and Shows

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I am not sure what other members think but Ben Ikin has turned into a really decent rugby league commentator. Whilst I do not always agree with him, I do respect his opinions. His NRL 360 show is good viewing. I am also enjoying Peter Sterling’s weekly show. Our old boys Gordie Tallis and Mark Gasnier also continue to grow into decent commentators and for some time I have really enjoyed Mark Geyer’s views. Both Tallis and Geyer are fearless in saying stuff that others think but won’t say.
I like getting factual information form the retired greats and for this reason I turned off the Footy Show about 5 years ago. Simply put the Footy Show is more like a Year 10 end of school comedy skit.
Is it just me or is everyone else thoroughly sick of Andrew and Matthew Johns? Tremendous footballers as they were; but Andrew Johns confused and stupid look on his face coupled with his ridiculous off field behaviour makes him seriously boring. As for Matthew Johns I cannot think of a more smug goose currently commentating on the game. For all of the great work the John’s brothers did for the football side on the field I never seem able to find anyone from Newcastle who would give them the time of day. That’s a pretty sad indictment of the two of them.

Thoughts?

TheRev

Coach
o Sterlo: His show is a bit dry but solid watching and he gets good interviews

o NRL360: I would never miss this either because good goss comes out of it even though its wrong half the time, I dont care its interesting, Ikin I actually dont like he seems like a w***er, he needs to not take himself or his opinions so seriously, same with Kent but I dont hate them.

o Monday Nights with Johns: Just more footy talk, yeah I get what you mean I guess I am a bit sick of MJohns, I liked him before he took himself so seriously too, but I still like that he kind of lets loose and isnt so politically correct all the time like most of them.. Monday is also a strange night cause ur recapping the week. MJ also does that MMM radio thing which I dont rly listen too, but hes quite loose and open there too.

o Ch9 Footy Show: I'm finding it harder and harder to watch, they should just drop all the dumb competitions and gameshow stuff and just talk about footy.. unless there really is a market for fans who want 'entertainment without any depth'? Maybe there is.. but with Fox this show is unnecessary.

CarssDragon

Juniors
NRL360 is the one I make sure to watch. They discuss issues in detail without forcing their opinions on viewers like most the other shows. Ben Ikin doesn't come across as just another ex-footballer and must be up there as one of the best commentators. As for Footy Show (Thurday night at least), this is targeted as a variety show will watch it for a cheap laugh with no expectations for serious analysis.

Not much to say about the John's boys. Great on the field, but complete morons off it. Studied in Newcastle during the Johns' reign at the Knights, and got to see them for the wankers they were (and still are). Couldn't believe when they inducted Andrew as an Immortal. Matty has a bit of character on the TV, but Andrew always appears half drunk/stoned and is a waste of space.

stg666

Juniors
i have had it with WAFFLES WARREN . senility is setting in i am afraid . i know he had dramas with some TV people but , Vossy leaves old rabbits for dead .

jenninga

First Grade
All Fox NRL shows for me are terrific,all footy talk and and plenty of substance,feels like your in a pub and we're all talking footy.
The Footy show is a tired low budget amateur 2 hours of sh*t,the only way to describe it.The guests are all buddy buddy and too scared to be outspoken ,very different to the Fox shows.

To be honest with you, they are all pills with the exception of Ray Warren, Sterling, and Gasnier. Occasionally they can all be amusing, but the majority of them lack the intellect needed to sit behind a microphone. Phil Gould has the intellect, but he has grown very bitter, prejudice, and bias over the last decade to the point where he no longer offers an objective analysis.
MG, Joey, Matty, Freddie, Big Marn, Fatty, and Beau, are only interested in clowning around; as a result no one takes them seriously when they do try to talk shop. Ikin, Brandy, Wally and co. just offer lip service and captain obvious type remarks.
Oh yes; Warren Smith needs to get his eyes checked. Last week against the Sea Eagles, he failed after 10 replays to see Cherry-Evans ground the ball in front of Rein.
I think I should be on the commentary team personally. I know more about league than the lot of them ;-)

TheRev

Coach
i have had it with WAFFLES WARREN . senility is setting in i am afraid . i know he had dramas with some TV people but , Vossy leaves old rabbits for dead .
Yeah I agree, they keep saying Warren is the best in the biz, to me he is just average, hes ok but nothing special, kinda dull, thankfully he is talking a bit more with Gould now (I bet they had to ask him to), but before that he would never engage in anything outside the call. I used to love Vossy, and the dude from ABC maybe he could get a gig.. otherwise I still like Gould & Sterlo, and Hadlee deadset needs to go.

All Fox NRL shows for me are terrific,all footy talk and and plenty of substance,feels like your in a pub and we're all talking footy.
The Footy show is a tired low budget amateur 2 hours of sh*t,the only way to describe it.The guests are all buddy buddy and too scared to be outspoken ,very different to the Fox shows.
Yep agreed.. Ch9 did introduce the "5 Minutes in the bin" which is a lively debate about 1 current issue, but its just not nearly enough.. id love to know if there is a subset of league fans who still like the format or not.. its hard to know because you cant directly compare viewer numbers.

saint.nick

Coach
I actually don't mind the footy show. I love Beau Ryan's humour. When I watch it, I know not to expect in-depth rugby league talk, and there's nothing wrong with that, as long as television provides alternative shows that purely focus on that, such as 360. Even the premier league has this type of show (Soccer AM). If the footy show wants people to stop thinking it's low budget and useless however, they have to stop intentionally trying to be a crap show. I've lost count of the amount of times Big Marn has remarked what a crap show it is. They can start with getting rid of that bloody awful intro sequence. The monotone music is absolutely disgusting especially.

unbreaK

Juniors
I like the footy talk on The Matty Johns Show, but some segments are bad, NRL 360 and Sterlo are both solid, Footy Show is getting worse and worse every year.

64 Dragon

Coach
Hadley sucks. Last night's commentary with Johns and Freddie during the Tigers V Sharks was kindergarten stuff. It was almost like there was no footy match on at all. A big huge FAIL.

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Tbh, I like the stuff that matty johns does. IMO he has got a great footy brain, but also balances out with his humour. Really like what i see from gaz, he speaks real well, and I can see him being an asset to us into the future, maybe as a backs coach. Hadley is no good, But I think Tallis and Kent are probably the worst, can't stand them

Godz Illa

Coach
STERLO is the best show by a mile, nothing compares to it. Must watch.

NRL 360 I stopped watching. I find Ikin grating, seems to rely on hyperbole and meaningless stats and just seems not genuine. Kent is full of shit.

Nothing else I really rate that high on tv. Used to enjoy the sunday night show Warren Smith used to host with Brandon Cowell and Renee Gartner but thats been boned. Channel 9 has murdered the Roast. Havent watched the footy show in years.

Commentary-wise the only people I hate are Hadley, Tallis, Hadley, and Lockyer. Darren Lockyer is dreadful. He is so unaware of how to contribute in commentary, that other commentators have to probe him with questions to get him involved. And his voice is terrible obvs.

Plus Hadley just sucks all round.

On radio ABC and triple m are both actually a good listen. None better, of course, than the FireUp show on fbi radio.

But yeah, Sterlo = great. Hadley = awful. In a nutshell

FlameThrower

Bench
STERLO is the best show by a mile, nothing compares to it. Must watch.

NRL 360 I stopped watching. I find Ikin grating, seems to rely on hyperbole and meaningless stats and just seems not genuine. Kent is full of shit.

Nothing else I really rate that high on tv. Used to enjoy the sunday night show Warren Smith used to host with Brandon Cowell and Renee Gartner but thats been boned. Channel 9 has murdered the Roast. Havent watched the footy show in years.

Commentary-wise the only people I hate are Hadley, Tallis, Hadley, and Lockyer. Darren Lockyer is dreadful. He is so unaware of how to contribute in commentary, that other commentators have to probe him with questions to get him involved. And his voice is terrible obvs.

Plus Hadley just sucks all round.

On radio ABC and triple m are both actually a good listen. None better, of course, than the FireUp show on fbi radio.

But yeah, Sterlo = great. Hadley = awful. In a nutshell
All true, add Wally Lewis to it, he has a strange voice pitch, just flat! Lockyer is terrible, Hadley, ok on radio, but not TV. The 2 guys on NZ Sky, are so one eyed it's turnoff listening to them. Sunday afternoon game, worst as you have Gus Gould, Ray Warren and either Fitler or Johns, absolute joke and I'm over to grumpy old-man routine. Footy Show is crap, all of Fox guys and shows are light years away, and we are not bombarded by Waterhouse, bet, odds....

Dezziedc

Juniors
Sterlo is leagues (pardon the pun) ahead of everyone else. I love him as a commentator. Generally he is unbiased and fairly insightful during the game. Even though we know he has a soft spot for Parra (obviously), I have never witnessed him be one-eyed for them or for any other team for that matter. That is what I like about him.

I don't mind Rabs, he generally calls the game as it is. yeah he is getting old and he is messing up a bit these days, but he does know the game like the back of his hand and is generally pretty good. Same with Gus - I don't mind listening to him either - most of the time they just call the game without being overly biased (although Gus can sometimes be a little one-eyed).

As for the others, I don't really care if they are there or not. Having Wally and Lockyer call the Broncos is a massive mistake - they are so pro-Broncos all the time and it just detracts from the call - throw Hadley into the mix and I have to turn the TV off. I struggle to watch the Brisbane "Friday night" Broncos as it is, so adding those 3 as commentators just drives me insane.

As for shows, I don't mind the Sunday Footy show - I never watch the Thursday night one. I don't have Fox so haven't see the Sterlo show yet, but have seen 360 in the past and didn't mind it.

The only thing I have to say though is that Hadley has to go. I can't stand the guy and as soon as I know he is calling I become instantly irritable. Last night, I turned the Tigers/Sharks game off 5 minutes into the game because he was calling. Just couldn't bare to watch it and listen to him.

Latest posts