What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best pack in the NRL 2007 ??

caylo

Bench
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
Maitua, Gallen, Johnson, Kennedy > Tongue. And if you base it on potential, then Harrison & Flannery > Tongue to. Just that they are both a tad out of form.

id have to agree, if i had to pick between flannery/harrison over tongue, id the fomer. sorry other than radiers fans, no1 rates tongue.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Tongue is a good solid clubman. Nothing wrong with that at all. But all the locks being mentioned around here are dynamic and have more to their game than being a tackling machine. That is why Swain was never the best hooker around. He was a tackling machine and a good clubman as well. But there is more to league than making tackles!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
8: Wiki
9: Fein
10: Price
11: Koopu
12: Luck
13: Anderson

14: Lauaki
15: Tuimavave
16: Rapira
17: Mannering (if he's not in the centres)

Not too shabby at all....

thickos

First Grade
Rammo said:
You're either the most biased poster on here or the dumbest.

All Tongue can do is tackle like a machine. There's more to being a top quality lock than making tackles. By your logic, Tony Grimaldi was as good as Tongue will ever be.

A mate of mine played against Reni Maitua in the lower grades and he said he's never played against a harder hitter in defence. That's not to mention his attacking prowess.

Alan Tongue isn't fit to lace Reni Maitua's boots.

And my mate's fiancee's sister's friend... blah blah, who cares.

Clearly you don't watch Tongue play much if you think all he is is a tackling machine. Let's compare stats.

Alan Tongue
Stat Reni Maitua
25 Games Played 24
1087 Tackles 366
229 Hitups 266
11 Tries 6
10 Line Breaks 15
18 Off-Loads 13
1 Try Assists 6
10 Kicks in Play 3

Funnily enough the 'tackling machine' scored twice as many tries as Reni... several of them from clever little grubbers for himself, plenty with him as support trailing a break made by another player... the other stats are extremely comparable and considering the tackling load Tongue gets through.... contribution wise he blows Maitua's stats ouf of the water.;-)

Reni is a great player... but he plays for a big club too. Hence the rep selection.

skeepe

Immortal
caylo said:
id have to agree, if i had to pick between flannery/harrison over tongue, id the fomer. sorry other than radiers fans, no1 rates tongue.

That's because, other than Raiders fans, and a few notable exceptions, you're all as dumb as dog sh*t.

thickos

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Tongue is a good solid clubman. Nothing wrong with that at all. But all the locks being mentioned around here are dynamic and have more to their game than being a tackling machine. That is why Swain was never the best hooker around. He was a tackling machine and a good clubman as well. But there is more to league than making tackles!

:roll:

Check the stats I posted Tongue v Maitua, from this season. Tongue is more than a tackling machine and if you watched a Raiders game you might appreciate that. But I realise going with the general consensus is far easier for most people...

caylo

Bench
skeepe said:
That's because, other than Raiders fans, and a few notable exceptions, you're all as dumb as dog sh*t.
im as dumb as dog sh*t... wow thats real mature of you... id rather be dog sh*t than as deluded as you... remember its quality not quantity, Tongue does alot, he is an 80 min player, Reni has spent time at 5-8. lock and centres, these means he might take less hit ups and do less defence. As a backrower/lock, he is so much better. He has flar, can create somthing from nothing, get over tongue, seriously its getting annoying... jayjay Mckinnon annoying.

>zuzu<

Juniors
They way they talk up Tongue.. We should be talking up Grimaldi ffs back in 2005.

Tongue is good no doubt. He is a battler of a player. Does the lil 1%'ers that goes without being seen. Top player. City Country ok. Origin? Pushing it. Has to many infront of him.

willvillain

Juniors
Tongue > Grimaldi > Luke Williamson

But not by all that much in each case, all similar players who play a role but not the sort of blokes you boast about having in your side.

Big Pete

Referee
LOL at Tongue being the best lock in the NRL.

Sure he was up there in 2006, possibly Top 3, however players like Maitua and Gallen are the top locks of the game. I rated Tongue this season, however I don't see him coming close to the form he displayed this season.

If I'm wrong, then I'll give Raider 69 a soft drink of his choice.

JJ

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
who is better then him? Who offer's more then Alan Tongue at lock in todays game?

:crazy:

hmmm, who offers more... let's see... we'll rule out Kennedy because he's retired, and we won't consider the many locks in the UK that offer more, so just sticking to 2007 NRL players...

in no particular order

Tonie Carroll
David Stagg
Dallas Johnson
Dean Young
Ben Creagh
Reni Maitua
Sonny-Bill Williams
Paul Gallen
Greg Bird
Louis Anderson
Simon Mannering
Daniel Wagon
Ashley Harrison
Braith Anasta
Luke O'Donnell
Travis Norton (or has he retired?)
John Sutton
Trent Waterhouse
Shane Rodney
Luke Swain
Daniel Abraham
Regan Tanner
hell, even Kirk Reynoldson
Steve Menzies
Dene Halatau
Liam Fulton

That's for starters off the top of my head :sarcasm: I'm sure there are a few others

The Engineers Room

First Grade
jimmy_the_greek said:
out of the storm,warriors,bulldogs and eels which i think will be in the top 4 next year

I can't see on paper how the Eels pack would be in the top 4. I think they have good potential but not at good as some of the other packs.

Rammo

Juniors
thickos said:
And my mate's fiancee's sister's friend... blah blah, who cares.

Clearly you don't watch Tongue play much if you think all he is is a tackling machine. Let's compare stats.

Alan Tongue Stat Reni Maitua
25 Games Played 24
1087 Tackles 366
229 Hitups 266
11 Tries 6
10 Line Breaks 15
18 Off-Loads 13
1 Try Assists 6
10 Kicks in Play 3

Funnily enough the 'tackling machine' scored twice as many tries as Reni... several of them from clever little grubbers for himself, plenty with him as support trailing a break made by another player... the other stats are extremely comparable and considering the tackling load Tongue gets through.... contribution wise he blows Maitua's stats ouf of the water.;-)

Reni is a great player... but he plays for a big club too. Hence the rep selection.

Actually no, it's not 'who cares'. I think it's quite a valid point. Anyone who has played against the current crop of NRL players has a credible opinion in my view.

No I don't watch Tongue play and I don't watch his club play because they bore me to death and they send fans to sleep.

With their style of game as it is, they'll jag a few top eight finishes, but they'll never win a premiership.

A cleanout should have occurred long ago when the likes of Stuart, Daley and Mullins left. But no one gave a stuff and the club has played like sh*t ever since.

I find it strange that you think Reni got picked because he plays for a 'big club'.

The only reason you'd be able to provide for them being a 'big club' is their success. And shouldn't successful sides be rewarded with rep selections?

The Bulldogs have never had rep coaches to pick them as favourites, unlike the Roosters, and to a lesser extent the Broncos and Sharks. The only reason they gain heavy representation is because they all earn it.

Maitua gets no favours from selectors, Tongue doesn't either. But Maitua is the one occupying the '13' jersey for Australia when he isn't injured.

I'll leave the rest for you to figure out.

thickos

First Grade
Rammo said:
No I don't watch Tongue play and I don't watch his club play because they bore me to death and they send fans to sleep.

Good to see you're coming to this argument with a balanced viewpoint then.

Rammo said:
I find it strange that you think Reni got picked because he plays for a 'big club'.

The only reason you'd be able to provide for them being a 'big club' is their success. And shouldn't successful sides be rewarded with rep selections?

It's about exposure as much as it is about talent. The fact is the 'big clubs' in Sydney (Dragons, Bulldogs, Parramatta) get more than their share of TV coverage and space in the newspaper. As a result young talented kids at these clubs get more exposure and their chances of gaining rep selection increase dramatically. Look at Jarryd Hayne. Yes he is an excellent young prospect but I have no doubt his inclusion in the Kangaroo squad is partly because he has had much more media exposure than an equivalently talented player at a club that doesn't get the headlines.

Returning to the Raiders for a second, Phil Graham has the third best try-scoring strike rate in the NRL for those with more than 50 matches (behind only Tahu and Gasnier). If he was wearing a red V, he would be pumped up as the next big thing, rather than looking for his first country origin jumper.

Naturally the success of the club they play for is a massive contributor to their chances of rep selection. I've never said Reni doesn't deserve to be in the test squad. But the hype surrounding how good a player Reni Maitua is is partly because he is an established 'name' in media circles and as a result his selection odds automatically improve. The reason we (Raiders fans) pump up someone like Alan Tongue is because we know we've got a little gem of a player tucked away down in the ACT, who wouldn't let anyone down if he made the rep arena. But because the way the world works, the Raiders get nowhere near the level of exposure that the 'big clubs' do. Not conspiracy theory, fact.

skeepe

Immortal
JJ said:
:crazy:

hmmm, who offers more... let's see... we'll rule out Kennedy because he's retired, and we won't consider the many locks in the UK that offer more, so just sticking to 2007 NRL players...

in no particular order

Tonie Carroll
David Stagg
Dallas Johnson
Dean Young
Ben Creagh
Reni Maitua
Sonny-Bill Williams
Paul Gallen
Greg Bird
Louis Anderson
Simon Mannering
Daniel Wagon
Ashley Harrison
Braith Anasta
Luke O'Donnell
Travis Norton (or has he retired?)
John Sutton
Trent Waterhouse
Shane Rodney
Luke Swain
Daniel Abraham
Regan Tanner
hell, even Kirk Reynoldson
Steve Menzies
Dene Halatau
Liam Fulton

That's for starters off the top of my head :sarcasm: I'm sure there are a few others

:lol:

I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time.

Your ignorance cracks me up.

Stagger eel

Staff member
skeepe said:
:lol:

I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time.

Your ignorance cracks me up.

it's only the same ignorance you show when make posts about Nathan Hindmarsh.

skeepe

Immortal
eelavation said:
it's only the same ignorance you show when make posts about Nathan Hindmarsh.

Tongue > Hindmarsh.

Look at the stats. Tongue is better in attack, better in defence, and doesn't let the workload in one affect the workload in the other.

Hindmarsh is a nasty, dirty player. A high tackle here, spear tackle there, elbow to the head while the player is on the ground... If Nathan Hindmarsh played for a team like the Warriors, he'd be recognised as being around the level of a Jerry Seu Seu.

Stagger eel

Staff member
skeepe said:
Tongue > Hindmarsh.

Look at the stats. Tongue is better in attack, better in defence, and doesn't let the workload in one affect the workload in the other.

Hindmarsh is a nasty, dirty player. A high tackle here, spear tackle there, elbow to the head while the player is on the ground... If Nathan Hindmarsh played for a team like the Warriors, he'd be recognised as being around the level of a Jerry Seu Seu.

well there you go...thanks for confirming with all of us what a a moron you are. :D