What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best pack in the NRL 2007 ??

hineyrulz

Post Whore
skeepe said:
Tongue > Hindmarsh.

Look at the stats. Tongue is better in attack, better in defence, and doesn't let the workload in one affect the workload in the other.

Hindmarsh is a nasty, dirty player. A high tackle here, spear tackle there, elbow to the head while the player is on the ground... If Nathan Hindmarsh played for a team like the Warriors, he'd be recognised as being around the level of a Jerry Seu Seu.
...............................:crazy: how ironic,you claim others are ignorant. by the way i think JJ was taking the piss.

miccle

Bench
skeepe said:
:lol:

I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time.

Your ignorance cracks me up.

Skeepe champ - he used an emoticon after the list. The smilie entitled "Sarcasm". Calm down kids.

JJ

Immortal
skeepe said:
Tongue > Hindmarsh.

I hope you're taking the piss - use the :sarcasm: (sarcasm) icon, it's usually a tip - except (apparently) for precious morons from the ACT

...............................:crazy: how ironic,you claim others are ignorant. by the way i think JJ was taking the piss.

wow - someone got it - I thought it was one of my funniest posts actually :?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
JJ said:
I hope you're taking the piss - use the :sarcasm: (sarcasm) icon, it's usually a tip - except (apparently) for precious morons from the ACT

wow - someone got it - I thought it was one of my funniest posts actually :?
come on mate give him a go,he's from the ACT ffs. :lol:

JJ

Immortal
yeah, I guess, as a Kiwi I've been there once - combination of Hamilton and Invercargill

Rammo

Juniors
thickos said:
It's about exposure as much as it is about talent. The fact is the 'big clubs' in Sydney (Dragons, Bulldogs, Parramatta) get more than their share of TV coverage and space in the newspaper. As a result young talented kids at these clubs get more exposure and their chances of gaining rep selection increase dramatically. Look at Jarryd Hayne. Yes he is an excellent young prospect but I have no doubt his inclusion in the Kangaroo squad is partly because he has had much more media exposure than an equivalently talented player at a club that doesn't get the headlines.

Returning to the Raiders for a second, Phil Graham has the third best try-scoring strike rate in the NRL for those with more than 50 matches (behind only Tahu and Gasnier). If he was wearing a red V, he would be pumped up as the next big thing, rather than looking for his first country origin jumper.

Naturally the success of the club they play for is a massive contributor to their chances of rep selection. I've never said Reni doesn't deserve to be in the test squad. But the hype surrounding how good a player Reni Maitua is is partly because he is an established 'name' in media circles and as a result his selection odds automatically improve. The reason we (Raiders fans) pump up someone like Alan Tongue is because we know we've got a little gem of a player tucked away down in the ACT, who wouldn't let anyone down if he made the rep arena. But because the way the world works, the Raiders get nowhere near the level of exposure that the 'big clubs' do. Not conspiracy theory, fact.

You've said it's just as much about exposure as talent. The three clubs you've mentioned there - Canterbury, St George and Parramatta, have all been more successful than Canberra in the last decade.

Those great players like Laurie Daley, Brett Mullins, Ricky Stuart and Mal Meninga never played a Test did they? They were all overlooked were they? What short memories some of us have.

They prove that it doesn't matter who you play for. You can play rep footy if your side has ongoing success.

The only exception is teams like the Roosters who usually have rep coaches that pick their favourites. Other than that, it's fair game as far as I'm concerned.

You say Reni Maitua's chances of selection improve because he's an established 'name' in media circles. That's absolute bullsh*t.

The only time the media mention Maitua is when he's up on drink driving charges. As a footballer, he's always been underrated.

You see your signature? The 'Past, present, and future' one?

Keep looking at the past. Because there's no light at the end of the tunnel as far as the present and future are concerned.

Raider_69

Post Whore
with ben kennedy retired, alan tongue is the best lock in the game right now on this seasons form.

JJ

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
with ben kennedy retired, alan tongue is the best lock in the game right now on this seasons form.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

no matter how many times you type it, it'll never be true

Mr Saab

Referee
Raider_69 said:

In your wild and crazy opinion.
Yes he is a toiler and gives 102.5% every game, but he is not the best lock in the game.
I would still take Gallen, Carroll, Maitua over him.

Notell

Juniors
Steelers Wheel - Tongue lies somewhere in the middle. Not to be written off as so many non-Raider fans do, as not as great Canberra fans believe.

I am not a Raiders fan, but if I had him at my team I would not swap him for anyone. Unfortunately the likes of Vautin keep giving him wraps, which tends to undermine the credit he deserves.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
tongue is a very good club player... puts in more than anyone could ask for in a player... having said that, i don't think he will be selected for an origin or test jumper anytime soon, or never at all, because there will always be players like carroll who show their dominance on the field... one of the reasons stagg was such a disappointment in origin was because he didn't have anything special to give to the team... i personally love stagg for what he does for the broncos, but i don't think the way he plays, he will be selected again. It's pretty much the same reason why tongue will not get picked...

Latest posts