What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best pack in the NRL 2007 ??

Lego_Man

First Grade
The same sh*t that tells him that Zillman is the next Langlands, Carney the next Johns etc, etc....

simostorm

Bench
Storm look alright.

8.Kaufusi
9.Smith
10.White
11.Crocker
12.Hoffman
13.Johnson
14.Cross
15.Blair
16.Crossman
17.Aubusson/Jeremy Smith

miccle

Bench
Dragons, Doggies and Brisbane with the best pigs for mine.

Brisbane still have an ominous looking forward pack despite the fact that we have lost Webcke:

8. Civoniceva
9. Berrigan
10. Thorn
11. Stagg
12. Parker
13. Carroll

14. Hannant
15. Thaiday
16. Carlaw
17. Ennis

18. Eastwood
19. Taylor
20. Kenny
21. Muckert
22. Lacey
23. Joel Moon

skeepe

Immortal
miccle said:
Dragons, Doggies and Brisbane with the best pigs for mine.

Brisbane still have an ominous looking forward pack despite the fact that we have lost Webcke:

8. Civoniceva
9. Berrigan
10. Thorn
11. Stagg
12. Parker
13. Carroll

14. Hannant
15. Thaiday
16. Carlaw
17. Ennis

18. Eastwood
19. Taylor
20. Kenny
21. Muckert
22. Lacey
23. Joel Moon

Outside Berrigan and Civoniceva, they're all meh-ish players.

Bazal

Post Whore
willvillain said:
Now that is a very harsh assessment of Parra's pack, but honestly... take out Hindmarsh and then Cayless and it is a group of players that either hasn't delivered in years, or is currently holding a 'potential' tag.

Parra's strength is obviously their outside backs. They won't win too many games in the forwards, and the halves are inconsistent - but the rest of their backline is lethal. That's what JT understood.

I would agree with that, to an extent. Next season we have a pack that looks to be very defence oriented. Between the Hindmarshs, Cayless, Robinson, Wagon there are about 200 tackles, but not too much attacking power. Cayless is about the best of the bunch in going forward, and he is more drive than power. We need some impact IMO, we have several good impact players hanging around and we will need to use them effectively to get the most out of our pack. Guys like MoiMoi need to set up an attacking set with a big run, or we are likely to struggle.Personally I would have:

8-Cayless
9-Riddell
10-Tsoulos
11-N Hindmarsh
12-I Hindmarsh
13-Robinson/Lowrie

14-PJ Marsh
15-Mateo
16-MoiMoi
17-Corboda

I rate that as a top 8 pack, not up there with the top 4 but certainly good enough to take us into the finals. It can lay a good platform with the starting players, and then has a constant stream of impact on the bench (if the bench is used properly...). Of course, its success relies on the performances of guys like Ian Hindy, Mateo, Cordoba, Tsoulos...all of whom are yet to really prove themselves, or have been out of the loop for a while. If it fires it's a very good pack..if not we better hope for a lot of 100m games from our big backs...

lockyno1

Post Whore
skeepe said:

Yet all better than Canberra's pack! The entire Broncos starting team has played rep footy. Remind me how many players the Raiders have that have played rep!

skeepe

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Yet all better than Canberra's pack! The entire Broncos starting team has played rep footy. Remind me how many players the Raiders have that have played rep!

Irrelevant. The Canberra pack is young, and I wouldn't trade most of them except for, as I said, Berrigan or Civoniceva.

Alan Tongue SHOULD have been an Australian rep this year. The fact that the selectors show a clear and unfounded bias against Canberra is not their fault, but the simple fact is I rate our players higher than Thug Carroll, Thug x 2 Thorn, Passable Parker, Who? Stagg, Stupid Penalties Hannant, Jane Carlaw, 3 Clubs in 3 Years and Rubbish at All Ennis and Amazingly Overrated Thaiday.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Alan Tongue is a solid club man, nowhere near rep standard. If you think he is anywhere near a rep jersey think again! The rest of your post is crap as those players have achieved more than any of Canberra's side!

Mr Saab

Referee
skeepe said:
If they are "meh-ish" then what the hell are the rest of the comp's packs seeing as Brisbane won the GF this yr!

On paper my team would arguably have the worst pack!

13. Reynoldson.
12. Simpson.
11. Newton.
10. Woolnough.
9. Buderus.
8. Perry.

14. Davico.
15. Tolar.
16. Brown.
17. Abraham.

Scary thought!

mxlegend99

Referee
skeepe said:
Alan Tongue SHOULD have been an Australian rep this year. The fact that the selectors show a clear and unfounded bias against Canberra is not their fault, but the simple fact is I rate our players higher than Thug Carroll, Thug x 2 Thorn, Passable Parker, Who? Stagg, Stupid Penalties Hannant, Jane Carlaw, 3 Clubs in 3 Years and Rubbish at All Ennis and Amazingly Overrated Thaiday.
You're joking, surely? The good hitting forwards are Thugs?

Broncos pack is pushing top 4 on any given day. This is coming from a person who hates the Bronco's. Pretty much any of those guys would be guaranteed a start for the Raiders. At worst, they'd be used off the bench.

lockyno1

Post Whore
mxlegend99 said:
You're joking, surely? The good hitting forwards are Thugs?

Broncos pack is pushing top 4 on any given day. This is coming from a person who hates the Bronco's. Pretty much any of those guys would be guaranteed a start for the Raiders. At worst, they'd be used off the bench.

Well said mate.:cool:

caylo

Bench
willvillain said:
Now that is a very harsh assessment of Parra's pack, but honestly... take out Hindmarsh and then Cayless and it is a group of players that either hasn't delivered in years, or is currently holding a 'potential' tag.

Parra's strength is obviously their outside backs. They won't win too many games in the forwards, and the halves are inconsistent - but the rest of their backline is lethal. That's what JT understood.
for 1, affamasagna will be with parramatta next year... i assure you that.
Our pack is big enough to hold its own, against bigger packs we wont dominate, but we have the defence to hold them. Other than broncos or Bulldogs i dont see any pack that could realy dominate parramattas pack. Melbourne have a great backrow, and young props.... they arent the biggest boys, so its no like they will roll through you like the dogs and brisbane can. penrith have a big pack, but if they play like they did this year, it wont matter. feild possestion is important and if they cant hold the ball the size of their pack means nothing. worriers are prob in the same boat as penrith. Cayless and Hindmarsh are important to us, but realy take omealy amd masson out of the dogs pack and what are u left with? They have still ryan SBW and matuia their but they would loss alot of go forward. the brizzy pack is prob the only pack that could do with losing their 2 best forwards because of their depth.
Like i said parramatta pack isnt the best, it isnt the biggest but we have good go forward (IN cayless, Hindy, Moimoi), and imo prob on of the best defencive packs (in cayless, Hindy, Wagon, Robenson, Riddell, Marsh)

Mr Saab

Referee
skeepe said:

Yes...carroll the thug. Awwwww, have not gotten over the fact that he elbowed that useless McLinden in 2004?
TC is no thug, he is the best defensive player in the game.
Thorn...how he is a thug! When was the last illegal thing he did! I am a Broncos supporter and i cant remember. Talking out of your ass skeepe.
Stupid penalties hannant? Canberra are the kings of stupid penalties.
Jane Carlaw performed in the finals series...oh but you didnt watch did you as the "mightty green machine" didnt get past week one.
Thaiday overrated...tell that to the selectors who chose him.
Ennis has had 3 clubs? so what. Is that a crime is it? I can name many players who had great careers who played with more than one club.

Poor widdle Waiders couldnt get a player in the australian team...awwwwww

miccle

Bench
skeepe - all of those meh-ish players sure as hell kept Tom LL relegated permanently to reserve grade. Likewise Costigan. And Frawley.

:lol: The Canberra Clydesdales.

D

Deleted member 10972

The only REAL quality players in the Raiders pack that i would have at the Roosters is Learoyd-Lahs, & maybe to a lesser extent Costigan, Weyman & Thompson. Lahrs would start in the backrow with Fitzgibbon, Thompson i wouldn't mind up front with Nutley, & then it woulld be a toss-up between Shillington & Weyman for one bench spot, & Costigan & Flannery for another. Our only confirmed positions IMO are:

Nutley
Wing
?????? (could be Beattie, Shillington, Tonga)
?????? (could be Plum, Lopini Paea, Harrison)
Fitzgibbon
Anasta (could be Harrison)

Flannery (could be Harrison)
Myles
Tupou
?????? (could be Beattie, Shillington, Tonga)

ShineDog said:
After I started this thread ...you (Marshall_magic )decided to start up the best backline of 2007 thread , gees your original.

As soon as I started this thread you decided to give me crap in regards to another forward pack thread but there is no problems in starting up the backline thread. ( You can't have it both ways Benji...or can you)

I didn't even mention the Tigers backline in that thread once, and backs are just as important as forwards so you might aswell have a thread for both. If you don't like it, build a bridge.

Latest posts