What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tackle / Hit / GBH

Anonymous

Juniors
Some absolute crackers in here... one of my personal favourites was Peachey on Toovey back in 2001 I think. Toovey got up without the ball and tried to play thin air... :D

JoeD

First Grade
Tawera Nikau on Paul Sirronin (sp?) during a test early 90's late 80's. More recently Meli v Tate (twice) in the same game as the Villa v Webke hit.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Raider_69 said:
Big Mal on Terry Lamb in 94 gf was a pretty nice hit

Makes every Bulldogs supporter cry :cry:

I like terry lamb on ellery hanley in the 1988 decider!*

* Just a gee-up for you Balmain fans out their!!

thickos

First Grade
thuganomics said:
Wiki on Lam
HUGE hit. Bruce Stadium 1996, we stole that game right at the death. But people only remember the hit. The ground audio mike sounded like it picked up the sound of multiple ribs shattering... Wiki didn't even contemplate using his arms in that tackle, pure shoulder charge...

Jimbo

Immortal
'David' Nutley on 'Goliath' Parsons at Shark Park last year. Its not often you get to see a 180cm player putting a 201cm prop on his ass

:clap:

playdaball

Bench
Kevin Tamati put a hugh hit on Rohan Hancock.

Wally Lewis on Darrell Williams

Both NZ vs. Australia

nqboy

First Grade
Wally Lewis on that Manly Kiwi center in a test, I can picture him but can't think of his name. King Wally again on O'Connor in Origin. Dean Lance on a rampaging Blocker early in the 89 grand final, stopped him cold.

Iafeta

Referee
Richard Villasanti on Ashley Graham as mentioned above. If it was a Channel 9 game, it would have become absolute folklore. It was big and destructive, but whats more, perfect in technique. It was sort of like a Goldberg spear in the upper chest. For mine, far superior than the hit on Webcke. Absolutely amazing and quite frightening.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
JoeD said:
Tawera Nikau on Paul Sirronin (sp?) during a test early 90's late 80's. More recently Meli v Tate (twice) in the same game as the Villa v Webke hit.
I remember the Nikau-Sironen one, both players just bounced backwards several meteres from the force of the impact. It was the classic case of an unstoppable force meeting an immvable object!
Meli's been responsible for a few, as someone else mentioned he absolutely flattenned one of the Manly players in the Sevens. Highlight of the tournament for me!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Jimbo said:
'David' Nutley on 'Goliath' Parsons at Shark Park last year. Its not often you get to see a 180cm player putting a 201cm prop on his ass

:clap:
Its always a good sight to see a little bloke nail one of the big boys. In a Super 12 game last year Sam Tuitopou from the Blues absolutely creamed Brad Thorne who has to outweigh him by at least 20kg. Some of the union boys can tackle as well (Jerry Collins and Tana Umaga spring to mind, check Collins hit on a Springbok in the WC quarterfinal) but they're hindered by that stupid rule in Union that bans shoulder charges and requires you to use your arms in the tackle. I've never been able to fathom that.

Rohan

Juniors
Wiki's hit on Lam was brutal.

In the early 90's ET playing fullback for Oz put a shoulder charge on Martin Offiah, when he was in the clear streaking down the sideline at full pace looking certain to score, which slammed him into touch. Great moment becasue Offiah had been built up as the fastest man in league.

carlnz

Bench
antonius said:
Marc Glanville on Craig Field in when Field played for Manly, cut him in half, I still don't know how Field got back up.

DEFFENTLY THE BEST HIT EVER!

simon says

First Grade
There should be a video with the top 100 hits of league.Imagine watching all these great hits we are tallking about.It'd be a smash.... :lol: :lol:

Seriously,someone should make a video of this,REALLY.

Godz Illa

Coach
Peter Coyne (Mark's brother) on Brett Rodwell, 1992 Preliminary semi-final, SFS. St. George v Illawarra.

Not only was it a massive hit, it was also a try saver. Rodwell was charging down the sideline for the corner and was certain to score. Peter Coyne was flying across in cover and just as Rodwell was a metre from the line, Coyne launched himself, shoulder first. The collision was wonderfully brutal, wickedly violent yet beautiful at the same time. Rodwell spilled the ball.

Ian Roberts on Dan Stains State Of Origin 1990 game 1...

Graeme Hughes: "OHHH WHAT A HIT ON STAINS!! IAN ROBERTS JUST TOOK HIM OUT!!"

Laurie's also been responsible for many. I remember him absolutely flattening Girdler in the 2000 semi at Bruce.

Ron Jeremy said:
The best tackles i ever saw where from Eric Grothe!!....they weren't massive hits but his tackles where amazing.

I saw him on ocassions make length of the field tackles.....he'd virtually come from the clouds in what seemed an impossible situation and tackle the player millimetres from the try line with the most brillant copy book tackle you'd ever see.

As for big hits??....Gilmiester was amazing.

Remember the one in SOO that Ekka pulled out on Choppy Close I think it was?

Ran 60 metres from the wing to pull him down just before the tryline. They scored off the next play but that was a great tackle.

I liked Withers one on Utai last season. The hardest player in the game to tackle and Withers smashed him.

Anonymous

Juniors
Meli on Wesser, Round 7 2003

That was definitely Meli's biggest ever hit, and he's had a few. It was great because Wesser hit the ball at absolute full pace, and got absolutely buried as soon as he touched it.

Latest posts