What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Way To Handle Games Vs Melbourne?

Forty20

First Grade
So the Storm can not gain any competition points this season but what about the remaining teams that must play them? Cronulla, Penrith, St George and the Knights have all lost a game to them this season, which is two points they won't be seeing.

Now teams face the chance of losing any number of their players to injury or suspension when they play against the Storm (which I know can happen any game but that is besides the point in this case). Our supporters would be furious if we lost Hayne or Fui for an aforementioned reason in our Rd 13 match.

What should be done about it? Reschedule this year without the Storm (highly unlikely and unpractical), make every Storm match a bye (possibly make the storm pay the difference for other team's home games?), simply go ahead with scheduled matches and let every club risk losing two points to cheaters...or is there another option?

WA Eel

Juniors
I agree. Also, with nothing to play for, what will motivate the Storm to put in an "appropriate" effort against all teams? Maybe one week they'll be an easy 2 points and other weeks they'll give you a beating just to prove a point. Not really fair and balanced.

Forty20

First Grade
can't be done as some teams play them twice, others once. eg. cowboys, warriors, raiders, souths and bulldogs play them twice, we only play them once

Which is why I am curious as to what the hell the NRL is going to do about it. If the storm are 700k over the cap this season, how can they have the right to potentially deny any team 2 points?

Then when you factor in the obligations the NRL has in regards to tv rights it becomes a real nasty piece of work.

Maybe a bye for the first game every team plays them with a rescheduling or later rounds (18-26?) for any team that plays them again?

The logistics and the permutation of possible results is a nightmare...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Which is why I am curious as to what the hell the NRL is going to do about it. If the storm are 700k over the cap this season, how can they have the right to potentially deny any team 2 points?

Then when you factor in the obligations the NRL has in regards to tv rights it becomes a real nasty piece of work.

Maybe a bye for the first game every team plays them with a rescheduling or later rounds (18-26?) for any team that plays them again?

The logistics and the permutation of possible results is a nightmare...
That the thing that pisses me off as well, they should of stripped the points of them and made them not be able to ato earn points until they we're under the cap. I bet they would of offloaded players quick smart. Now every has to play a team worth nearly 5 million dollars that sucks.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the best way to deal with them is not get distracted and get on with the job

Gronk

Staff member
Make them give up players so they are under the cap.

Agree. Whilst that are not eligible for competition points, with their squad they can still smash a lot of teams. Why should they be entitled to deny us of 2 points when the team that they put on the field have been assembled outside the rules ?

Parra Steve

Juniors
Gallop did say that for 2011 that players would have to go, it wont be a repeat of the dogs in 02 when the players were able to take a paycut, that wont be allowed. So im not sure why it also isnt being implemented this year as well.

fish eel

Immortal
It's not just last year.

2007 and 2006.

If our boys need any motivation to beat a side that as nothing to play for then that'll do me.

parra guru said:
Who can afford them? Cronulla?

If we can afford to consider an offer for Thurston, we can afford to grab Cooper Cronk.

This is a massive talking point in the office this morning with regards to the tipping comp, and what should be done. Some saying drop all games that the Storm are in, others are saying, leave them in, as nobody knows if they are going to try or not.

Which brings me to my next point - what would a storm player worry, if the go out and start a punch up or coat hanger someone, causing them injury? They will get suspended, but, what would it mean to them??? Nothing.

strider

Post Whore
yeah the problem I see is that the storm players will probably struggle to keep it together consistantly for the rest of the season like they would have - it will just simply be a matter of luck if you play them when they drop their bundle and couldn't be f'ed

if bellamy is safe (ie he's done nothing wrong and stays coach) then I'd imagine he would do a good job keeping them motivated for some time - altho if bellamy goes for some reason they'll drop faster than something that drops fast

and I reckon the players would have some motivation to play rep footy, so they'll likely try hard until thats over (hell they might have added marquee bonuses in their contracts for rep footy :lol:) - after that, who knows whether they'll be motivated???

Gronk

Staff member
This is a massive talking point in the office this morning with regards to the tipping comp, and what should be done. Some saying drop all games that the Storm are in, others are saying, leave them in, as nobody knows if they are going to try or not.

Which brings me to my next point - what would a storm player worry, if the go out and start a punch up or coat hanger someone, causing them injury? They will get suspended, but, what would it mean to them??? Nothing.

And it we get towelled by the Storm in a few months and Hindy gets a broken jaw because of a Brett White hit and we miss out on the 8 by those two points because Storm fielded a team that was superior because they exceeded the cap .... etc, etc.

They should be punted and allowed back in 2011 IMO.

SDM

First Grade
I cant wait for the game, I love abusing people I dont know from the safety of a large angry mob.

Gronk

Staff member
I cant wait for the game, I love abusing people I dont know from the safety of a large angry mob.

Haha I can just hear the booos as Storm run on to the ground at the Stadium.

Mark it in your diaries -- > Friday June 4 @ 7.35pm !

:D

Latest posts