What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Betrayed by a kiss, claims rejected Tynan

carcharias

Immortal
WHETHER a kiss on the cheek constitutes an iron-clad agreement could be a catalyst for more boardroom upheaval at the Cronulla Sharks.
Tonight’s general meeting for members is likely to be tinged with controversy after businesswoman Madeline Tynan claimed that the new chairman, Damian Irvine, had agreed to allow her and members of her ticket onto the new Sharks board.
While Tynan said last night she was still undecided about whether to attend the meeting, claiming it would be stacked with Irvine supporters, she said members of her ticket would potentially be creating more off-field turbulence for the Sharks.
Tynan, the director, dealer principal and marketing manager of her family’s Sutherland Shire car dealerships, was adamant Irvine reneged on an agreement to allow her and six of her supporters to join the board when he announced last week that banking executive Denise Aldous and businesswoman Jenny Reynolds would replace former chairman Barry Pierce and Graham Gillard as directors of the strife-torn club.
As part of the agreement Tynan said was reached, current board members Irvine, Rick Surace and Paul Walker would have retained their positions, but all other directors would have resigned.
‘‘There was definitely a deal done,’’ Tynan said of a meeting last month, which was also attended by former club boss Peter Gow. ‘‘There was a handshake and even a kiss on the cheek. We met for three-and-a-half hours and two days later he went back on his word. It’s just very disappointing. The gentleman with me [Craig Borg, a lawyer who is a former Sharks player], he got a handshake and I got a handshake and a kiss on the cheek. In business to me, that’s a deal. I’ve always taken people on face value and if a handshake’s done you should be good to your word. I just find it really hard to swallow.’’
But while Irvine did not deny he had agreed to a deal, he said Tynan did not fulfil her side after the meeting and was ‘‘unwilling to compromise’’ during it.
‘‘Madeline was one of a dozen people I talked to about their interest in the board,’’ Irvine said. ‘‘Upheaval’s the last thing we need. I sat down with a basic idea to compromise, rather than have votes of no confidence or anything else like that. After talking to her and seeing what she had to offer, I thought long and hard about it and I canvassed a lot of people, including sponsors. Madeline also didn’t provide things that she gave an undertaking she would – a resume and due diligence for the people she was putting forward. They were just names to me.
‘‘I had to take this to the current board – it was not my decision to make. But she never provided that information. After much investigation … it was all a bit one way.
‘‘It wasn’t respectful in the way it was being undertaken.’’
Describing himself as ‘‘a member – just on the other side of the fence now’’, Irvine said the decisions he had made had been ‘‘in good faith and in a genuine attempt to rebuild the club’’.
‘‘We need stability,’’ he said.
The club has lurched from one off-field drama to another this season, which has been the catalyst for the boardroom changes. Former chief executive Tony Zappia was forced to resign over his handling of an incident that involved a female employee being given a black eye, while the club was heavily implicated in a Four Corners expose of group sex in rugby league.
Asked whether she would attend tonight’s meeting, called because of the substantial changes at boardroom level since a May 28 election, Tynan said: ‘‘It’s to be decided. I just don’t know whether to put my team through that … our club is being run by the head of the supporters’ group, so it [the general meeting] will be stacked with supporters’ group people.’’
Elsewhere, Parramatta are free to sign their former star, Timana Tahu, after he was released from his Australian Rugby Union contract yesterday.
While Eels boss Paul Osborne said he had not spoken with Tahu following the ARU’s decision, it is anticipated Tahu would be paraded as a Parramatta player before the Eels’ clash with Newcastle at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.
Also, the Newcastle board has deferred a decision on a replacement for Roosters-bound coach Brian Smith until its next meeting in September.
After a meeting last night, the directors opted against asking Smith to step aside immediately and installing assistant Rick Stone in a caretaker role. Stone is favourite to take charge next season, although the Knights are also expected to consider Melbourne assistant Michael Maguire, Sharks assistant Shane Flanagan and former NRL coaches Steve Folkes and Graham Murray.
‘‘I had to take this to the current board – it was not my decision to make. But she never provided that information. After much investigation … it was all a bit one way.
‘‘It wasn’t respectful in the way it was being undertaken.’’
Describing himself as ‘‘a member – just on the other side of the fence now’’, Irvine said the decisions he had made had been ‘‘in good faith and in a genuine attempt to rebuild the club’’.
‘‘We need stability,’’ he said.
The club has lurched from one off-field drama to another this season, which has been the catalyst for the boardroom changes. Former chief executive Tony Zappia was forced to resign over his handling of an incident that involved a female employee being given a black eye, while the club was heavily implicated in a Four Corners expose of group sex in rugby league.
Asked whether she would attend tonight’s meeting, called because of the substantial changes at boardroom level since a May 28 election, Tynan said: ‘‘It’s to be decided. I just don’t know whether to put my team through that … our club is being run by the head of the supporters’ group, so it [the general meeting] will be stacked with supporters’ group people.’’

link

tynan_wideweb__470x340,0.jpg

Local hottie and businesswoman Madeline Tynan.
Photo: Ben Rushton

Feej

First Grade
While ever she's sponsoring that mob across the bridge, she deserves no place on the board of the club. And if she and other members of her ticket want to make trouble, then they have next to no chance of ever getting elected in the future.

Sounds like it all was about her after all, and now it's all gone pear shaped for her, she wants to throw all her toys out of the cot.

spider

Coach
she tackles everything but the actual issue at hand

she is a stupid woman to a point who comes off looking extremely selfish on the back end of her under handed attempts to move in

i hope she does front at the general meeting, then they can see first hand if she cleaned all the egg off...

she is as hot and as wanted as a $2 hooker after pay day

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
In fairness to her, she was approached. Not the other way around. I would have liked to have seen what her ticket was on about though & who they were. I know who 3 were but who were the others? What are their credentials?
In the end, the decision was right. She cannot lead our club whilst giving money to our closest competitor.
It's just silly to think that that could have worked.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just not sure why she wants to be involved. Being a sponsor of St.George, but you business is in Cronulla, something ain't right.

Anyways the people they did put on the board seem better value on the face of it.

PJ

First Grade
Longmuir was 1 of hers I believe. Don't want him anywhere near the club again.

Also not a fan of the way she has been carrying on in the media about the whole affair. If the deal had have been done wouldn't it have been far more professional to have it announced through the club similar to how they announced the 2 women who were brought onto the board?

All smacks to me of self promotion rather than the interests of the club.

Just not sure why she wants to be involved. Being a sponsor of St.George, but you business is in Cronulla, something ain't right.

Effluent Stain supporters don't want to live in those sh*t hole suburbs on the north side of the Georges, so they move to the Shire instead.

We need stricter immigration control on the bridges.

Bundy

Juniors
http://blog.powersponsorship.com/in...ot-to-handle-controversy-updated-27-april-09/

The Thug, the delusional sponsor, and how not to handle a controversy
Posted on 19 September 08 by Kim Skildum-Reid

I’ve been doing this a long time – around 24 years in all. I’ve seen good sponsors, great sponsors, old school sponsors, naïve sponsors, and lazy sponsors, but this was a new one on me: The delusional sponsor.
Okay, here’s the set up… About a month ago, Greg Bird, a star player for one of Sydney’s Rugby League teams, the Cronulla Sharks, was arrested for allegedly “glassing” his American girlfriend’s face, leaving her with a fractured eye socket. He has been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm. While his girlfriend was still in hospital, he was apparently busy telling police that his best friend had done it. His affronted – and I’m assuming “former” – best friend has soundly refuted the allegation. The police put an AVO in place (AVO = apprehended violence order, AKA a restraining order) so Bird can’t approach his girlfriend. Bird and his girlfriend have refused to make statements to the police. A bad scene all the way around.
The Cronulla Sharks immediately stood Bird down, despite the fact that they are going into the finals looking better than they have in pretty much decades and knowing that decision could hurt their chances. So far, they have handled this admirably, protecting the Sharks brand for the long haul. This move was supported by the League and virtually all of their sponsors.
Note, I said “virtually”, because one of the sponsors came out yesterday in support of Bird, calling for him to play in the finals. The rationale was the old chestnut, “innocent until proven guilty”. Obviously, this sponsor hasn’t heard of the term, “bringing the game/team/player into disrepute” – a term used in every professional playing contract in the world.
The sponsor is Tynan Motors, and the spokesperson is Madeline Tynan, who is also on the board of the Sharks. For the record, I am also a long time customer of Tynan Motors.
<B>As a customer, this whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way. And professionally, there is absolutely nothing to of strategic worth in taking this approach. Idealist to the core, I sent the following e-mail:
To: Madeline Tynan
</B>
From a personal standpoint, I cannot believe you are supporting Greg Bird to play with Cronulla. He [allegedly] has a history of violence, a girlfriend with a broken eye socket, and a current AVO. I have been a customer of Tynan for a long time and was on the verge of trading in and buying from you again, but you will never see another cent from me.
From a professional point of view, you may think getting into the finals is worth backing this very questionable individual, but you will do your brand a lot more harm than good as a sponsor by doing this. Whether he is proved guilty or acquitted, if he has brought himself into disrepute, which he has, he is marketing poison and you are risking your brand reputation.
This is where the whole thing morphs from a bad decision by Tynan Motors to delusional self-interest: One hour later, Ms Tynan calls me up and abuses me.
She tells me that “her eye socket isn’t even broken”. Hmm… that’s a lot of credible media that seem to have got that one wrong, then. She tells me that “the girlfriend is standing by him”, implying that she wouldn’t stand by him if he wasn’t a good guy. Uh… that’s not vindication, that’s just frightening and sad. When I was able to squeeze a word in edgewise – not easy – to tell her that she was risking her brand with this strategy, she told me I didn’t know what I was talking about. It degraded into a delusional, one-sided rant and I finally had to hang up the phone.
I sat at my desk just shaking my head thinking, “she doesn’t get this at all”. He allegedly got drunk, bashed his girlfriend, tried to pin it on his best mate, and is apparently refusing to cooperate with police. Forgetting for a moment the personal issues at stake, where is the marketing value in a guy like that?
I get that Ms Tynan personally seems to like the guy, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but how far should a sponsor go? How controversial should a corporate sponsor get with their brand? How much should they risk their relationships with customers?

That last question really is the crux of it, because the approach a sponsor should take in a controversy is the one that reflects the values of their target markets, leaving only two real choices:
  1. If the controversy is divisive, a sponsor’s best option is not to take a stand and to let the law, team, league, or whomever sort it out and back the decisions that are made. While it is true that some controversies may shrink the marketing opportunities for the sponsor, backing the authorities’ management process will not risk the sponsor’s brand.
  2. If the target market falls very heavily on one side versus the other, then taking a stand in controversy is an option. You could risk alienating some of your market, but you also could deepen your relationship with the rest of the market.
The depth of emotion that people have invested should also be taken into consideration. For instance, the degree of outrage people have against someone who has allegedly committed a serious crime against a woman probably outweighs the ambition of a dedicated fan to finish the season well.

Some sponsors may decide that they are going to take some kind of ethical or moral stance, but more often than not, they are the type of company that attracts customers who will share that view, making it both an ethical and strategic decision.
If you are a regular reader of this blog, you would know that I don’t shy away from sponsors taking a stand on controversy, if it reflects the values and priorities of the brand’s target markets. For instance, I suggested that there might be some Beijing Olympic sponsors that would get more mileage by walking away from their sponsorships than staying in them, if that reflected the values of their core target markets.
As for Tynan, the message boards prove interesting. Although people who care enough to find a board and comment are divided in their opinions about whether Bird should finish the season, there is a definite bias towards “don’t let him play”, and those comments show a lot of emotional investment. And plenty of people have commented specifically on Tynan’s position already. A small selection:
“Obviously that particular sponsor [Tynan Motors] doesn’t want to sell anymore cars to woman then?”
“I’ll never even walk into Tynan Motors again, let alone buy another car there”
“Maybe they [Tynan Motors] can replace the air bags with a schooner glass.”
I wish them luck. I think they’re going to need it.

Macca

Coach
This woman claims to support the club but has done nothing but try to create instability. From the Greg Bird saga right through until now.

Interesting opinion on that Blog Bundy.

Reading the article she makes out as though there was a deal done. "A handshake and a kiss on the cheek." That seems to be very broad.

Damian Irvine then says that her end of the bargain was never held.

So who did the deal breaking? Was there ever really a deal or was it more of an undertaking to try to work things out through research and discussion by the board?

Whatever the deal was or wasn't, we ended up with two very well credentialed women joining the board. Far better credentialed than the Car Dealer Dragon Fan IMO. So we have 6 new faces on the board. That's a good result.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
That blog is so wrong on so many levels. & I am not saying that in support for Tynan or Bird.
The entire feel of it is somebody with an agenda. A big agenda.
& for what it is worth, apparently Tynan motors had one of the best 12 months of all sydney car yards last year. So the individuals boycott & (lack of ) insight into marketing demographic behaviour is naive at best & completely wrong at worst.

PJ

First Grade
I agree on the blog reefy, inaccuracies and agenda driven.

And whilst Tynan's may have had a record year they won't see any of my business again. Bought the last car through them and I will not repeat that mistake, and rather drive to a dealership further away then deal with them.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
From a marketing perspective, I couldnt imagine the Sharks ever using that individual as a consultant, god help us if we do.
If you followed her rationale of being a fence sitter for risk of alienating, she sure stands on the soap box for female side on this one. I hope the males in charge of Sharks are watching this.
No matter what any woman ever says & no matter what any sponsor ever says, the prime directive of the club should be to win the premiership. If anything appears in the way of that directive, it should be removed.
The nation has grown tired of this fence sitting political correctness crap.
Consumers have short memories but premierships take years.
The bistro is full again at the Coogee Bay Hotel.

mulva69

Juniors
There is an existing precedent that Damien Irvine may wish to review entitled "A Kiss Is Not A Contract". He'd be wise to pass this clip onto Tynan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iSlPoQm2XY

As Bret states publicly, "Just because you've been exploring my mouth Doesn't mean you&#65279; get to take an expedition further south"