What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Bash League 2012/13

Timbo

Staff member
The Thunder's middle order is completely made up of guys who've been sacked from their Shield contracts for being ordinary, and their bowlers are all club players.

They'll do we'll to run 8th.

lockyno1

Post Whore
No idea, Lockyer,Borga's and Guptill were terrible. Abbot came in way too late.

Guptill was always going to play- 1 game contract. The other two...no idea. Also Azhar Mahmoodd was on the bench...serious WTF there!:crazy:

Patorick

Staff member
Jim_MaxwellL.png

undertaker

Coach
I will be happy if the BBL folds. I'm just sick and tired of it trying to take precedence over test matches and ODIs. Now, I've read recently that the international season next summer has been shortened and will only feature England because CA is trying to accomodate the BBL schedule. Stuff that!

IMO, T20 cricket is like the bastard child who appears out of nowhere and then tries to claim and feels a sense of entitlement to a large portion of your inheritance. I admit that I was a fan of T20 in the beginning, but that was back when only the occasional T20 match was played in the summer. Since the IPL started, there's just way too much cricket, fans are deserting the more traditional, skillful forms of the game and bad batting techniques and habits (emanating from the 'hit and giggle' form of the game) are creeping into the test arena, which explains a large part of why we've been bowled out for less than 100 three times over the past two years in test matches

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I will be happy if the BBL folds. I'm just sick and tired of it trying to take precedence over test matches and ODIs. Now, I've read recently that the international season next summer has been shortened and will only feature England because CA is trying to accomodate the BBL schedule. Stuff that!

IMO, T20 cricket is like the bastard child who appears out of nowhere and then tries to claim and feels a sense of entitlement to a large portion of your inheritance. I admit that I was a fan of T20 in the beginning, but that was back when only the occasional T20 match was played in the summer. Since the IPL started, there's just way too much cricket, fans are deserting the more traditional, skillful forms of the game and bad batting techniques and habits (emanating from the 'hit and giggle' form of the game) are creeping into the test arena, which explains a large part of why we've been bowled out for less than 100 three times over the past two years in test matches
Well said mate, i watch the Big Beat off because it's cricket and tv these days is terrible but when they start f**king around test and Sheild cricket thats what really pisses me off. I blame Chairman Victorian for all this, one minute he didn't like 20/20 cricket now the tard can't get enough. Since this chump has taken over Australian cricket has gone to the shitters.

undertaker

Coach
Well said mate, i watch the Big Beat off because it's cricket and tv these days is terrible but when they start f**king around test and Sheild cricket thats what really pisses me off. I blame Chairman Victorian for all this, one minute he didn't like 20/20 cricket now the tard can't get enough. Since this chump has taken over Australian cricket has gone to the shitters.

Agree with you hineyrulz.

Yep, when the Big Bash concept was introduced (in the state franchise format before it changed to city franchises) it had no tv coverage as there were only a handful of games were played. When the fixtures increased to make it a round-robin tournament, CA stuffed around with the Sheffield Shield and One-Day Domestic cricket schedules (a shame they did with the latter, as it used to get very good crowds not so long ago. Then they stuffed around with the concept when it was branded the Ryobi Cup, changed the format to two innings of 20 and 25 overs respectively etc. Now, no one cares about it).

Now, they're stuffing around with the international schedule next summer in order to accomodate the Big Bash. It's clear that like the BCCI, CA is slowly whoring itself out for the $ at the detriment of the Test/ODI forms of the game and along with team morale, is one of the reasons why my love for cricket has diminished over the last few years. After all, what more do you expect from CA when this is the same organisation that thought that 3 ODIs vs Sri Lanka was appropriate preparation for the creme de la creme of TEST CRICKET: the Ashes. England, on the other hand, were smart and requested a 4-day tour match. CA being completely oblivious to the fact that ODIs and Tests are completely different forms of the game, different rules and strategies etc. And, we deserved to pay the price in a big way for treating the showcase event of international test cricket with no respect, as was seen when we started handing out Baggy Green caps like cricket cards from a Weet-Bix box. So, we pick players just because Shane Warne says Michael Beer is a good bowler, yet the selectors had never saw him play? That sort of shennanigans would've never happened under the Border/Taylor/Waugh years. Reminds me a lot of when Greg Smith conned Warren Ryan at the Newcastle Knights:lol:

Btw, when you say Chairman Victorian, do you mean this person, the Glenn Robbins look-a-like? This is the same gimp who forced the Aussies to change their style of play after that infamous 2008 SCG test just because the Indians were sooks, and one of the main culprits who's responsible for the decline in crowd attendances at matches (if you've seen how much the ticket prices are, it's completely understandable why there's no where near as many people (especially children) at the game now compared to 10+ years ago. They've completely priced out the average spectator and families). He's got a face you'd like to have a go at if you got into any altercation with him.

sutherland-james-190510.jpg

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah i was talking about that plonker mate, cricket in this country has taken a turn for the worst all under this idiots watch. They had a massive review but it seems no one looked into this incompetent boob.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/domestic-cricket/brisbane-heat-suffer-further-setback-with-test-quick-ryan-harris-ruled-out-of-entire-kfc-t20-big-bash/story-fn5k3es5-1226533913110#.UMWPKOTIFu0

Brisbane Heat suffer further setback with Test quick Ryan Harris ruled out of entire KFC T20 Big Bash..

AAP December 10, 2012 4:59PM

Brisbane Heat have lost their third big-name signing in five days after recovering Test quick Ryan Harris withdrew from their entire KFC T20 Big Bash League campaign without playing a game.

Although Harris is back bowling in the nets after shoulder surgery in August, medical staff have opted for a more gradual build-up for the fast bowler and ruled him out of the BBL.

The Heat were already reeling from the withdrawal of world No.1 fast bowler Dale Steyn from his sole appearance - last Sunday's opener against Hobart Hurricanes - and loss of New Zealand's Dan Vettori (achilles) for the whole BBL tournament.

Harris has been replaced in the Heat squad by fellow speedster Matthew Gale.

Harris said he hoped to be fit for the Queensland Bulls' remaining Sheffield Shield and Ryobi Cup games, starting after the BBL at the end of January.

"It's disappointing because I am pretty close but to push now might not turn out to be the best thing for longer term," he said.

"I've been feeling pretty good in the nets so far and while I'm not bowling off the full run-up or at full pace, I'm very positive about getting up to that level soon."

Harris will travel to Adelaide as Heat assistant coach for the BBL match against the Strikers on Thursday night.

"He is bowling really well at this stage of his recovery, but it would have been unfair to throw him back into a BBL game and expect him to go full tilt from the outset," Heat captain James Hopes said.

"This is the best thing for him and will give him plenty of playing time for Queensland and allow him to build a case for Australia's tours to India and England.

"I'm firmly convinced that with his bowling skill set, he is comfortably in the ranks of the best Test bowling line-up that Australia can field."

West Indies quick Kemar Roach will link with the Heat in Adelaide on Wednesday.

undertaker

Coach
Here's a good article that pretty much summarises your frustration at CA, hineyrulz:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/remembrance-of-things-lost-20111112-1nd3k.html#ixzz1dWtAuULp

Few Australian defeats have been as embarrassing as the debacle in South Africa.
WHILE comparisons are an odious and over-used tool of modern sports journalism, there's nothing unfair about a relative evaluation of that second innings batting effort in Cape Town. An Australian team - without excuses - that spent a couple of minutes hovering on the brink of the lowest score in Test cricket history, before recovering to the relative respectability of 47, can hardly avoid such analysis.
Despite our proud history on the cricket field, there have been plenty of dark days. Capitulations are nothing new and have always been hard to swallow. The cohort of men under the baggy green is the closest we have to a truly national team. I'm not sure whether the national response is still as it once was, but there was a time when significant Test defeats were felt across the nation as something akin to a death in the family.
"Laker's match" at Old Trafford in 1956, for example, produced a day not unlike last Thursday in Cape Town. Those old enough recall it with horror even now. On the second afternoon, Australia had made a promising start in reply to England's imposing total of 459. Some who were listening that night in Australia speak of contentedly dozing off, bedside radio still going, as Colin McDonald and Jim Burke took their opening partnership close to 50.
Advertisement
Imagine the shock of waking an hour or so later to the heartening awareness that the same pair were still at the crease, only to learn it was now the second innings! Australia had lost all 10 wickets for 36 to plunge from 48 without loss to 84 all out. Jim Laker at one stage took 7-8 from 22 balls. Then there were the two calamitous seasons of the World Series Cricket split, when Australia was forced to field a second XI and the clattering batting collapse became as common as the summer sound of cicadas. The 1978-79 Ashes series began with a classic: Graham Yallop's first act as captain was to win the toss and bat, Graeme Wood ran out Gary Cosier in the first over of the series, and an hour later the score was 6-26. After that, 116 seemed a not bad first innings score and a seven-wicket defeat an honourable loss.
A couple of years later, Kim Hughes was captain and his 1981 Ashes team suffered two of the most painful defeats in our history. At Headingley, England still trailed by 92 runs at the fall of its seventh second-innings wicket, yet won the match. Australia fell short chasing 130; then fell over again pursuing 151 in the next match at Edgbaston.
Hughes was captain at home in 1985-86 and promised not to hook the West Indies' quicks. The opening Test was in Perth, the tourists made 416, and Australia was precariously placed at 3-36 by the end of the second day.
But the skipper was still there and his commitment to discipline had stoked the embers of hope. All of four runs had been added the following morning when Hughes hooked Michael Holding straight down Malcolm Marshall's throat at long leg.
An hour or so later Australia was all out for 76.
Yes, these were bad days indeed. Yet when all things are considered, Black Thursday of the past week might just have been the worst we've had. Not only was it an abysmal performance, it occurred at a time when Australia's Test cricket effort can least afford it.
When Harold Larwood, Jim Laker, Ian Botham, and the West Indies' express bowlers inflicted pain on Australia, we knew there would always be another day and another season. Right now, even in this country, the clock is ticking for Test cricket and performances such as this are particularly devastating.
This match was played by cricketers whose attention span has been compromised by the emphasis on the comic book form of the game. What other conclusion is to be drawn after Michael Clarke's and Graeme Smith's innings provided such weighty bookends to this procession of self-destruction?
How could Shane Watson, Phil Hughes, Ricky Ponting, Mike Hussey, and Brad Haddin score just 39 runs between them in their collective 10 innings? That his players so comprehensively failed to support Clarke after his superb contribution is concerning.
If sporting teams reflect those who oversee their establishment, Clarke's team this week revealed Australian cricket as a shambles. It knows not whether it wants classical or rock'n'roll.
It displays all the philosophical ideals attributed to Don King by Larry Holmes when the former heavyweight champion said of the promoter: "He doesn't care about black or white; he just cares about green."
The game has become a three-ring circus and its highest form is being lost amid the showbiz. The Barnum and Bailey style of the game's promotion has reduced it all to humbug. The frustration of cricket lovers at Australia's performance is, I suspect, not the brooding "we'll get even next time" kind of anger once generated by defeat, rather a confused form of grieving at a larger loss.

undertaker

Coach
I should say that article was written after the 1st test in South Africa last year, where we got skittled for 47 in the 2nd innings after having a 150+ run lead after the 1st innings.

A few more things I'd like to mention:

- What the hell was the purpose of the Argus review if CA aren't going to follow any of the recommendations from it (e.g. one of them was, SURPRISE SURPRISE, less T20 cricket played. However, that isn't going to happen since T20 is where CA's heart really lies)?

- It is an absolute disgrace that Sheffield Shield cricket has been put on hiatus for nearly 2 months just to accomodate the "bastard child". Seriously, for those players who are not in the Australian side but maybe on the cusp on breaking into the team in the case of an injury or bad form to one of the incumbents, how are they supposed to prepare for the situation where they maybe called into the side by the selectors when they cannot get any adequate training or preparation in the form of the 4-day Shield matches?

I believe that we have paid the price for neglecting Shield cricket for far too long. It was the avenue that was used when we unearthed a lot of talent back in the '90s because we made Shield cricket a priority. We also put a lot of focus on "Australia A" (Ch9 even used to televise Australia A matches)....now, I don't even hear a word about it.

Latest posts