What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Civ to leave the Broncs

Ice777

Bench
Totally agree. It's not right a 10 year player having to be squeezed out due to salary cap issues. I think the cap is a good thing and keeps things as equal as possible but concessions have to be made in cases like this.

In saying that while i know Petero is still playing excellent footy and isn't showing signs of slowing down, i think signing him to a 3 year deal at $400k+ a season wouldn't be a very smart move by the Bronco's or any other club. Again he's playing great footy right now but given his age (31) and what he's body's been through thus far, good form can't last forever and it can drop off pretty quickly when you're on the wrong side of 30. Not to say it will happen, but i for one wouldn't want my club spending that amount of money risking it to find out if it does or not.

I can understand him wanting the best possible deal he can on his last contract and he'd be mad not to try get it. But from the Bronco's point of view which looks like they're going through somewhat of a rebuilding stage, i don't really think it's all a bad thing and they can move on to shaping a team that will take them into the future.

legend

Coach
If the Broncos didn't sign Wallace and Clinton, they could have kept Civ so whilst I am favour of long term cap relief for stalwarts, the Broncos could have easily kekpt him if they wanted to.

IMO, he'll go to the Cowboys or the Titans.

i have very little sympathy for them , even if they hadnt have signed joel clinton they would have had enough money for him , so basically they have swapped one for the other if they lose petro.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
a player that has played for the one club for ten years or more should be exempt from the salary cap.

hope the raiders look at getting Petro as he would be awesome for the young forwards

salivor

First Grade
legend said:
If the Broncos didn't sign Wallace and Clinton, they could have kept Civ so whilst I am favour of long term cap relief for stalwarts, the Broncos could have easily kekpt him if they wanted to.

We have had to say goodbye to both Tate and and Berrigan though. Wallace didn't come for much but certainly I would've preferred the club to not sign Clinton and use the cash to keep Civ at the club. We haven't seen such an exodus of high calibre players really since 2000 when Carroll, Walker, Thorn and Campion all left and Walters hung up the boots which took us years to recover from.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Who ever picks him up for 2008 and beyond will benefit greatly, I just wish Manly would change their mind about Perry and grab Petro

DeeGan

Bench
legend said:

We aren't go to pay $400,000 to Scott Prince, we certainly ain't going to throw that money at a aging prop no matter how great he is. We have enough props for 2008 in any event; Bailey, Donnelly, Meyers, Cannings, Henderson and Stosic.

Petero will be playing in the Super League IMO.

rabs

Staff member
Clinton for $260,000 compared to Civ for $400,000 - I know which route I would have taken. Civ will be missed and they should have kept him on for at least one season at 400 with a club favoured option for 2 years to nurture the up and comers for next season and not wasted their money on Clinton.

Frederick

Staff member
Regardless of the amount he can make over in the UK, I'd love for the Knights to have a crack at getting him. With PowderPuff Perry most likely to leave, Civo would be the perfect player to have around to help influence and mold our up and coming forwards

Mr Saab

Referee
Would be a massive change to play under Bennett for his whole career and then play under Brian Smith.
Cant see it happening

badav

Bench
rabs said:
Clinton for $260,000 compared to Civ for $400,000 - I know which route I would have taken. Civ will be missed and they should have kept him on for at least one season at 400 with a club favoured option for 2 years to nurture the up and comers for next season and not wasted their money on Clinton.

The club offered a 2 year deal with option for 3rd

Civoneciva wanted 3 years. Petero would be a huge loss but for 3 years @400k it would be a risky decision to make. I just dont want to see him play for another NRL team.

Shorty

Staff member
If he goes to SL it's a big loss to the NRL,Civ is unstoppable and been amazing this year.
However I do understand the need to start looking to the future.

Ice777

Bench
Blaze said:
Whereas Steve Price is a good place to start a counter arguement from...

Of course there's exceptions to the rule but i think it'd be fair to say that the majority of players who are 31 or there abouts would see their form taper off in the next 3 years as opposed to them getting any better or at the very least sustain the level they're playing at now. For every Steve Price i'm sure there's 5 other players who end up as a totally opposite example.