What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Dell off contract this year

Fire

First Grade
As it's a quiet week for the Dragons I thought I'd bring this topic up.

Last year when Bennett signed with the Knights, someone on 'NRL on FOX' asked Dell if he was going to follow Wayne to the Knights. Dell replied by saying he is off contract at the end of 2012 as Dragons Ambassador.

Personally, I hope he stays on as he's great for our club. He also seems to have a close bond with all the boys too. We were also the only club (I think) that gave him a second chance in 2008 by signing him up (before we even knew Bennett was coming), so hopefully he shows a bit of 'loyalty'. Timmins is co-Ambassador with him this year, but I really hope Dell hangs around.

Wouldn't mind hearing other Dragons fans thoughts on this?

MattYg1

Bench
Somebody find out if Bennett has organised a press conference and some form of cake...

Absolutely. Sign him up again. He's entertaining and adds positive vibes around the place.
Plus he's set himself up in Wollongong I think?

SwampyMarc

Juniors
keep him around. he generates plenty of interest for the club and seems to get himself on tv and radio a fair bit, so that's got to help.

Father Ted

First Grade
Nope I was wrong about the Hunter here it is ..

Dragons sign Sailor's son

Brad Walter

February 17, 2011
  • Read later

WENDELL SAILOR'S 12-year-old son Tristan is set to follow in the dual international's footsteps after being signed as the first member of St George Illawarra's high performance unit for 2011. Tristan had been invited to join the club's junior academy after starring at fullback for Wests Wollongong. "He was recommended to us,'' said Dragons HPU coach Ben Haran. ''It is an exciting time for him."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/dragons-sign-sailors-son-20110216-1awm7.html

Minh

First Grade
Nope I was wrong about the Hunter here it is ..

Dragons sign Sailor's son

Brad Walter

February 17, 2011
  • Read later

WENDELL SAILOR'S 12-year-old son Tristan is set to follow in the dual international's footsteps after being signed as the first member of St George Illawarra's high performance unit for 2011. Tristan had been invited to join the club's junior academy after starring at fullback for Wests Wollongong. "He was recommended to us,'' said Dragons HPU coach Ben Haran. ''It is an exciting time for him."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/dragons-sign-sailors-son-20110216-1awm7.html

Can't wait for this son of a gun to don the Mighty Red V.

Father Ted

First Grade
New Sailor brought into Dragons fold

BY MICHAEL CHAMMAS
16 Feb, 2011 03:00 AM
Just when it seemed safe for Dragons fans to throw away their "Sailor" banners, St George Illawarra unveil their newest and youngest recruit - Tristan Sailor.The 12-year-old son of former Dragons legend Wendell is about to embark on chapter two of the Sailor story, securing a two-year contract with St George Illawarra's high performance unit.
With Andrew Johns keen on securing the talented young fullback for the Newcastle Knights' junior development program, the Dragons acted swiftly and snatched up the prize possession.
"Newcastle inquired about him," Wendell said of his son.
"Joey has seen him play and said Newcastle would be interested but he's at the Dragons now.
"I'm very proud of him but the main thing is that he applies himself to education and academics."
It's not often for big Dell to be upstaged in front of the cameras, but at WIN Stadium yesterday, the dual international was happy to take a backward step and let his son soak up all the attention.
The Wests Illawarra junior, who is old enough to one day make his NRL debut alongside the likes of Brett Morris and his favourite player Darius Boyd, described his father as his inspiration.
"It's really good having him as my dad because he gives me a lot of help," Tristan said.
"Since I was really young he has always taken me to the park and given me advice."
The Edmund Rice College student is the first member of the club's HPU for 2011, set to join another 19 players in the Illawarra junior squad for monthly training camps this season.
HPU coach Ben Haran, who watched Cameron King and Kyle Stanley come through the program, said he was delighted to have Tristan in the red and white.
"Tristan is a very talented young player and he is very mature for his age and conducts himself well, which is important to us," Haran said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...sailor-brought-into-dragons-fold/2077056.aspx

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
Thanks for doing that research Father Ted. Yeah I agree with everyone here, I hope we re-sign him, he's great. Fingers crossed!

ybp-oor

Juniors
it will be interesting to see if Dean Young has a similar role as he is Dragons through and through..... and also seems to be a sentimental favourite of the Red V crowd

Tim Smith

Juniors
I wonder if Dell does a Fatty Vautin and moves his son up to gold coast /Brisbane when he turns 16 so he plays maroon not blue.

gUt

Coach
You guys should definitely keep a Dragons club legend like Sailor on your books. After all the bloke has the unbelievable honour and privelige of being in the offical Broncos best ever side.

bottle

Coach
You guys should definitely keep a Dragons club legend like Sailor on your books. After all the bloke has the unbelievable honour and privelige of being in the offical Broncos best ever side.

Well if we ever get around to naming our 'biggest' side Dell will be there for sure.
Plus he never said "Maroon and Gold till I grow old', he said 'The Red V is part of me'.
So nyahh.