What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big News - 6 about to be dropped

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He's has good games and bad. So has the rest of the side. And he's done a huge amount for the club off field compared to one serious indiscretion.

Manu's best ever work for us was outside Laumape, who was a dedicated, well-structured centre between whom there was an understanding and a trust. It's just a shame that the partnership was not allowed to foster through initially injury then Ngani going back to rugby.

Whatever happens, I honestly feel like Manu is our greatest ever Warrior. I said it at the start of the year and I have no reason to change that view.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
In 2004/2005 I was happy for Manu to be shopped around. You can check my posts on that.

I'm really glad I was wrong, and before the pills c**k up he was one of the few players I'd never think of calling out for not putting in the effort.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, he made a mistake and he's paid for it. I hope he comes back. He's still been playing great for us.

Meth

Staff member
Also sounds like he and other players rate Cappy highly despite the fact that he hasn't been able to get them to perform. They clearly know something we don't.

Yeah, but to be fair, they kinda have to say that don't they?

Meth

Staff member
Interesting comment from Manu- "some boys can't handle what he says sometimes"

Benek

Juniors
Yeah, but to be fair, they kinda have to say that don't they?

They would, but I get the feeling it's genuine. It sounds like from the player meeting they all generally agreed that the coaching was on par but the player's individual performances were letting the team down.

From an outsider's perspective that's hard to believe. Based on things we can see, like general game strategy, set plays, technique, use of interchange, etc. the coaching doesn't appear very good. But of course we only see 10% of what really goes on.

Blair

Coach
Yeah, he made a mistake and he's paid for it. I hope he comes back. He's still been playing great for us.

It's a strange time for the club, ay? For example, I love the big fella but I was so ready for him to be shipped off forthwith. I know I'm not alone with that view.

MKEB...

Staff member
It's a strange time for the club, ay? For example, I love the big fella but I was so ready for him to be shipped off forthwith. I know I'm not alone with that view.

Yes, I have always been keen to give him leeway because he is Manu. I felt the same way as you.

I have stated this often, but not much gives me more joy than yelling out MANUUUUUU at the top of my lungs when he scores a try.

JJ

Immortal
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinio...-to-contain-frictions-within-the-player-ranks

Opinion piece - but interested in who the 'mystery guest' is...

Also, sick of this, "some players struggle to cope with the direct style of xxx" FMD, they cope elsewhere, it's like the home town club provides them some right to be precious...

Anyway, as said, opinion piece...

OPINION: The Warriors are a club in chaos.
The repercussions from the Warriors' big night out in Auckland after their Anzac Day thrashing in Melbourne – belted 42-0 – continue to be felt.
It will be some time before the club and everyone involved can move on.

It's understood a group of the Pacific Island players have found captain Ryan Hoffman's very direct Aussie manner difficult to handle.

The teams' stuttering season is on a knife edge and only an improbable win against the Broncos next weekend seems capable of somehow injecting confidence back into the club and getting the team back on track.
While desperate to promote unity to their disappointed fan base, the team will have to work hard to contain friction​s​ within the p​layer ranks.
Behind the scenes, some team-mates are at odds with each other over how the recent issues have been dealt with.
It is understood the hard-line taken by coach Andrew McFadden and captain Ryan Hoffman, most particularly toward ​some of the ​young players, is not going down well.
But despite all the revelations and confessions since that appalling lack of judgment by six fully contracted players to head out on the town on April 26 and fill themselves up with energy drinks and the pain-killing drug Tramadol, you get the strong feeling the full story is yet to come out.
It seems the Silly Six, or whatever you want to call them – Manu Vatuvei, Ben Matulino, Bodene Thompson, Sam Lisone, Albert Vete and Konrad Hurrell – even allowing for Hurrell's claim that he abstained from the pill popping, had company on their night out in the shape of a former Warriors player whose identity has yet to be revealed. It's understood this mystery guest was a bad influence.

Hurrell is now gone – signed this week by the Gold Coast – after it was made clear he had no future with the Warriors, most particularly while McFadden is at the helm.
The club's PR machine has been working overtime to hose down suggestions the highly popular Vatuvei was about ​to pack his bags and was even being shopped around rugby clubs. In a "tell all" on a sponsor's media platform yesterday that looked scripted to me, the big winger finally confirmed he had changed his mind about quitting.
Vatuvei has been out of bounds for media generally since his involvement in the "energy drink" lapse. His only previously comment was a seemingly staged interview and video clip conducted by the team's media man. Contrast that with the openness around such matters when similar dramas break among Sydney clubs​.
It's troubling from a disciplinary viewpoint that it appears these six Warriors ​players didn't think there would be any consequences for their actions.
They were found out when a senior team-mate reported them into management. Despite this player trying to do the right thing by the club (his name has been widely circulated on social media), his actions have caused further friction inside the team, with others not happy that he dobbed in team-mates.
The night out continues to have consequences. Vatuvei was granted leave on medical grounds when the behaviour of he and his team-mates made international headlines.
His decision to "come clean" yesterday – and to ​confirm that ​after ​having considered quitting, he was staying – appeared to me carefully rehearsed and managed by the team's media team and delivered via a major sponsor​.
Relations have soured inside the group of six. After initially agreeing to tell a uniform story to club management after being potted by the team-mate, one of the players told a different tale, fearing the incident might spell the end of his career. This has split the group.
It is also understood some of the players have found it tough to deal with McFadden's style of leadership and that a group of the Pacific Island players have found Hoffman's very direct Aussie manner difficult to handle.
There must have been many times recently when Hoffman and other stars who quit lucrative contracts with Australian-based NRL clubs ​worried that their league careers had taken a U-turn because of the issues within the Warriors.
During this week a group of senior players met behind closed doors – they stopped short of calling it a crisis meeting. But it didn't stop the rot.
Straight afterward an arranged interview between Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and a media organisation, again hand-picked by the club, didn't help matters. Tuivasa-Sheck proceeded to reveal what was discussed at the meeting despite some players believing the discussions should remain confidential.
Long-suffering Warriors fans deserve the full truth so the club – players, coaches, staff and most importantly those paying at the gate – can wipe the slate clean and start cheering again. It's not even winter and this season is far from over. As of the start of this shortened round 12, the Warriors were just two points off the top 8. So close, but in many respects so far away.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
They would, but I get the feeling it's genuine. It sounds like from the player meeting they all generally agreed that the coaching was on par but the player's individual performances were letting the team down.

From an outsider's perspective that's hard to believe. Based on things we can see, like general game strategy, set plays, technique, use of interchange, etc. the coaching doesn't appear very good. But of course we only see 10% of what really goes on.

I get the feeling it's far from genuine. But that's only my opinion.

I mean, we've watched these guys week in, week out. They're not trying. They're not responding. We know how to spot a side that is not responding to their coach. And if Manu and the rest really respected the coach, would he have been out on the Red Bull buzz? Would Ben be sulking like a 110kg baby? Would Issac be fat?

The things that we can see are how atrociously our bench is used. How our halves suck. How our attacking structure and ideas are non-existent. How our selection is all over the place.

It just doesn't add up that these guys love McFadden. It doesn't. I know we get the quotes but that seems like complete horse shit to me, like these guys are privately kniving him but want to be adamant on the record that they're right in his corner, so they don't look bad. I don't believe for a second Doyle could make them say it.