What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big three back for Broncos clash

woodgers

Bench
Raider_69 said:
yea i think he did, played from the bench i believe
must of been one hell of a performance to get a gig this quick

Not at all. He has played first grade for another club so Elliott will instantly assume he is good. If Lomu started at the Raiders he would still be trying to find a way into first grade. Same with a player like Karmichael Hunt. If he was at the Raiders there is no way Elliott would have let him see a minute of 1st grade.

Raider_69

Post Whore
woodgers said:
Not at all. He has played first grade for another club so Elliott will instantly assume he is good. If Lomu started at the Raiders he would still be trying to find a way into first grade. Same with a player like Karmichael Hunt. If he was at the Raiders there is no way Elliott would have let him see a minute of 1st grade.

Rubbish, Hunt would warm the bench for 70 minutes untill the game was gone, done and dusted, then elliot would throw not so curve ball at the oppisition by giving him 10 minutes where by well... its all too late :lol:

thickos

First Grade
azza said:
Just check the Sharks forum and you will see they think he is hopeless. Makes sense why we signed him really.

That is true however I don't think he was happy at Cronulla and from reports in the paper it seemed like he was on the outer.

I'm happy to have him at the club considering he was a very big part of the Roosters '02 success, providing a strong impact role off the bench. If he recaptures that form, we've done well IMO.

thickos

First Grade
One week in and Lomu's pushing for first-grade action
RMaxwell
Wednesday, 8 June 2005

Andrew Lomu's transition to the Canberra Raiders has been so quick his photo is still up on the Cronulla Sharks' website.

Lomu was yesterday named on an extended bench for Saturday's NRL game against the Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium, based on a strong performance in the premier league side's 31-24 win over Balmain Ryde Eastwood last weekend.

After being released by the Sharks last week, Lomu was immediately snapped up by the Raiders, as they continue to bolster forward stocks.

Lomu is a fallen star, hoping to resurrect his career by moving to the Raiders.

"It's been pretty quick. It was good because I got to get a game under my belt with premier league on the weekend, so I got to break the ice with a lot of the boys," he said.

During a brilliant spell with the Roosters from 2000-2003, Lomu earned a reputation as a devastating ball-runner.

He joined Cronulla in 2004 but had an unremarkable season and spent most of his time this year playing premier league.

"It's a bit of a new start. It's good because when I was playing in premier league for Cronulla I was hitting some good form but unfortunately the first-graders were going really well so you don't want to change too much."

Lomu has played two tests for Tonga and one for New Zealand.

"I just want to be consistent and make the first-grade squad and hopefully even get back into the Test team if I can."

Lomu said he thought the move to the Raiders would re-energise him and that he was grateful to coach Matt Elliott for the opportunity.

"Matty's been great. He showed a lot of faith in me by signing me and I'm hoping to repay the favour by hitting some good form with this club and really helping them out," Lomu said.

"Canberra is one town, one club. All the guys are really tight-knit. I noticed that the town really gets behind the team.

"It's a bit more laid back here too, you don't have all the distractions that go on in Sydney so I'm able to put more time into my game and really concentrate on it and hopefully get back into the form that I had at the Roosters."

The 26-year-old forward said he had not expected to be pushing for first grade so soon into his Raiders career.

"It's a big surprise but all I can really do now is keep focused and, if I do get on, just play a simple game and not try to do too much," Lomu said.

Jason Williams has also been named on the bench, after making his return in premier league against the Roosters in Round 12, following more than a month off with a hamstring injury.

"There are a couple of players that have question marks over their fitness and a couple of guys that we want to acknowledge are close to first-grade footy and have that internal competition happening," Elliott said.

"You'll see one of those two players make their first-grade debut for the club this weekend for sure."

Williams was also picked up from Cronulla.

"Jason is very close to first-grade footy," Elliott said. "He's missed a whole preseason, so over the last four or five weeks we've sort of punched a preseason into him and he's lost 10kg of weight."

Elliott said he was pleased but not surprised that Lomu was already in contention for first grade.

"We got him here for two reasons. One, the form he's been displaying in the premier league and, two, how good a player we know he can be. Sometimes a change in environment plus some opportunity to be provided is all the spark a player needs and, again, Andrew is pretty close to immediate first-grade selection."

With Clinton Schifcofske coming back into the Raiders starting side at fullback, Marshall Chalk has been moved to the wing.

Chachi

Bench
posh said:
do we all think terry campese is the answer for our future no.6?

Long term I guess it depends on how Willie Z and Carney develop as halves (and also whether they stay with Canberra). I love the idea of a 6 that can defend his ass off and has a great kicking game - but I can also see the value of moving him to 13 if the other two guys make it in firsts.

I compare him a bit to Jason Smith regarding his early development and if he continues to improve as a playmaker I'd personally prefer him in the halves. I'd also like to see him given a go in the centres when Smith returns (even though he's a bit slow) ala Laurie Daley - but I can't imagine that ever happening.

thickos

First Grade
Broncos still boast experience
thompson_426.jpg
June 8, 2005
spacer.gif
The Canberra Raiders are preparing for a blockbuster match against the top-of-the-table Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night, with the visitors still boasting six State of Origin representatives in their squad.
The Broncos will be missing six players because of current Origin duties, including skipper Darren Lockyer. But, in a credit to the club’s depth, Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett has still been able to assemble a Broncos squad that includes six players with Origin experience.

The players include props Shane Webcke and Corey Parker, five-eighth Stuart Kelly, centres Brent Tate and Justin Hodges and veteran lock Darren Smith – elder brother of Raider Jason Smith.

In fact, the Broncos team named to play in Canberra on Saturday has a combined experience of 57 Origin appearances and 28 Test matches.

Raiders prop Troy Thompson, who will return from a hamstring injury, faces one of the biggest challenges against former Australian Test prop Webcke.

“They’ve still got a great pack,” Thompson said. “They’ve got Webcke and Parker up front, who have both played State of Origin, so it’s going to be a tough match.”

“It is an important game for us because we’ve had three losses in a row. But Matt [Elliott] has shown faith in myself and put me straight back in the starting side, which I’m happy with.”

Raiders fullback Clinton Schifcofske is one of three players in the Canberra team with Origin experience, joining Matt Adamson and Jason Croker.

Apart from their former Origin stars, Schifcofske said the Raiders must be wary of Brisbane youngsters like teenage sensations Karmichael Hunt and the lightning-quick Leon Bott.

“In recent years they’ve struggled to field this good a side [during the Origin period],” Schifcofske said. “They’ve had good youngsters before, but now those youngsters are pretty well experienced. There’s probably four or five of those young guys that would probably be in the run-on sides at every other club in the competition, so they’re in a good position.”

Broncos: Karmichael Hunt; Steve Michaels, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate, Leon Bott, Stuart Kelly, Brett Seymour, Darren Smith, Neville Costigan, David Stagg, Corey Parker, Barry Berrigan, Shane Webcke (c).

Interchange: Darren Mapp, Berrick Barnes, Sam Thaiday, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs.

Coach: Wayne Bennett

woodgers

Bench
6 players out and they still field that side. Is there anyone who thinks the salary cap is working?

jed

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Rubbish, Hunt would warm the bench for 70 minutes untill the game was gone, done and dusted, then elliot would throw not so curve ball at the oppisition by giving him 10 minutes where by well... its all too late :lol:

So are you saying that Hunt is of comparable quality to Robbo? :shock: :lol:

thickos

First Grade
Stage set for round 14 blockbuster
rd14_426.jpg
June 9, 2005
spacer.gif
CANBERRA RAIDERS v BRISBANE BRONCOS
Canberra Stadium, Saturday, June 11, at 5.30pm
Referee: Tony Archer
WHAT’S AT STAKE

The Raiders take on the so-called ‘Baby Broncos’, who are missing six players due to Origin duties. Thing is, the top-of-the-table Broncos still boast six players in their squad with Origin experience, including three former Test stars – Shane Webcke, Brent Tate and Darren Smith. On top of that, the Broncos are on an eight game winning streak and have been a model of consistency this season. The Broncos also boast some exciting young players, led by fullback Karmichael Hunt, lightning-quick winger Leon Bott and tough backrowers Neville Costigan and David Stagg.

The Raiders face a tough battle, but also know it’s an opportunity to get their own season back on track. The Raiders have lost their last three games and are only just holding on in the top-eight. The Raiders needed the bye, allowing fullback Clinton Schifcofske and prop Troy Thompson an extra week to recover from injuries.

The Green Machine will also be boosted by the return of skipper Simon Woolford, who should ease the play-making responsibilities on halves Lincoln Withers and Terry Campese. The contribution of the Raiders bench has been a highlight this season, with Alan Tongue, Josh Miller and Kris Kahler leading the charge.

STATS BOX

Head to Head
Overall: Broncos 15, Raiders 12, Draws 1
At Canberra Stadium: Raiders 6, Broncos 6, Draws 1
Last time they met: Raiders won 21-14 at Suncorp Stadium, R16 - 2004

Recent Form
Raiders: (16pts, 7th)
Broncos: (22pts, 1st)
Last Five: Raiders: WLLLB
Broncos: WWBWW
Last Week: Raiders had the bye
Broncos beat the Knights 34-16 at EnergyAustralia Stadium

MATCH-UPS

Lincoln Withers – Brett Seymour
Lincoln Withers has had a lot of responsibility in recent weeks without veteran Jason Smith to call the shots. But the return of Simon Woolford at hooker should help Withers’ game, allowing him more opportunity to run. Broncos assistant coach and former Raiders Kevin Walters has tipped that Seymour will stamp himself as a senior figure in the Broncos team during this Origin period.

Phil Graham – Brent Tate
After a couple of seasons hampered by injury, Phil Graham has played every NRL match for the Raiders this season and is showing signs he can take his game to a new level. He’s scored six tries in 11 matches. A shoulder injury has threatened to derail Tate’s career, but the former Australian Test centre has been in great form.

Troy Thompson – Shane Webcke
Having been one of Canberra’s more consistent players in the first half of the season, Thompson returns to the pack after missing two games with a hamstring injury. The Raiders will have a smaller, mobile pack compared to the Broncos. But this is just the type of game Shane Webcke will stand-up in – when his team needs him.

INSIDE INFORMATION – with Clinton Schifcofske

“It’s a fair way out from September, but if we can win this weekend we can kick clear of 7thand 8th positions and get ourselves back in the hunt for a spot in the top-four. So it’s a really big game for us and, if we can get a couple of wins while Jason Smith’s away, then we’ll be in a really good position coming into the back end of the season.”

WORTH NOTING

• The Broncos are missing six players on Origin duty but still have six players in their side with origin experience – Shane Webcke, Corey Parker, Brent Tate, Justin Hodges, Stu Kelly and Darren Smith. The Raiders have three – Matt Adamson, Clinton Schifcofske and Jason Croker.
  • The Raiders have three players returning to the side – Clinton Schifcofske and Troy Thompson from injury, and skipper Simon Woolford from suspension.
  • Marshall Chalk has been rewarded for his good form, earning a starting spot on the wing after the return of Schifcofske.
  • Former New Zealand international Andrew Lomu is set to make his debut for the Raiders, just one week after being released by the Sharks.
  • The oldest player in the Broncos side is Darren Smith, elder brother of Raiders five-eighth Jason Smith. Darren is 36, while Jason – out with a knee injury – is 33.

thickos

First Grade
Broncos have class across the park
June 9, 2005

You only need to mention one name to show how we can’t underestimate the Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium this Saturday night - Shane Webcke.

After nearly every round I sit down in front of a computer at our training base in Bruce and make sure I watch the highlights of Webcke’s game on the weekend. As far as I’m concerned, he’s still the best prop in the world and he’s someone I try to base my own game on.

Sure, the Broncos will be missing six State of Origin players when they travel to Canberra this weekend, but they’ve got great depth and they’ll still be able to field a top side.

Think about some of the names they’ll have. Webcke and Brent Tate have played for Australia, while Justin Hodges and Corey Parker have represented Queensland. Then there’s rep players of the future – Karmichael Hunt, David Stagg and Neville Costigan. It’s no wonder they’re on top of the ladder.

After a short break, the Raiders are refreshed and ready for this big challenge.

We’ll have a few big names returning. Fullback Clinton Schifcofske looks like he’s recovered from the rib injury that kept him out for five games, while our skipper Simon Woolford is back from suspension. Prop Troy Thompson will also be back from a hamstring injury, adding a bit of grunt to the forward pack.

Speaking of our forward grunt, it’s good to see our two latest recruits Jason Williams and Andrew Lomu getting close to their debuts with the Raiders in top grade. Both have been named in a 20-man Raiders squad for this Saturday.

The two big Kiwis have settled in well. Andrew only joined us last week from the Sharks and, from all reports, had a pretty good match for the Raiders in Premier League on the weekend.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time training with Jason in the rehab group when he had a hamstring injury. He’s a big unit, but he really puts in the hard yards at training. He’s always doing extra sessions and coaches tell me he’s lost 10kg since he joined us in April.

Just like Jason and Andrew are getting a new start, I think we’ve got to see the second half of the season as a fresh start. We’re still in the top eight and we’ve got a few players on their way back from injury. Jason Smith is due to return by Round 18 and he’ll be important for us in the run-in to the finals. Hopefully I can be back on the park by Round 20 and play a part as well.

At the start of the season we spoke about was unity, sticking together as a team on and off the field no matter what happens. I think this part of the season is really important for us to stay strong, and if we can string a few wins together over the next month or so it will add to our confidence.

Michael Weyman

thickos

First Grade
Raiders up for a challenge from undermanned Broncos
PFitzgerald
Thursday, 9 June 2005

The Broncos side to take on the Raiders on Saturday may have six players missing through State Of Origin commitments but it will still possess six times the representative experience than the Canberra outfit.

And don't the Raiders' players know it.

Leading Canberra stars yesterday dismissed claims the Broncos would be severely understrength as a result of the second Origin fixture at Telstra Stadium in six days.

The Broncos line-up, despite lacking such talent as Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva and Shaun Berrigan, will still contains a combined experience totalling 57 Origin matches and 28 Tests, compared to eight Origin and six Tests for the Raiders.

Veterans Darren Smith (22 Origins) and Shane Webcke (21 Origins) lead the way in the experience stakes for Brisbane and will make sure their side does not look like the "undermanned baby Broncos" it has been billed as.

For Canberra only Clinton Schifcofske (one), Matt Adamson (two) and Jason Croker (five) have played at Origin level.

The Broncos have historically struggled to win matches in the absence of its representative players but the Raiders will show no sympathy in Saturday night's vital round 14 NRL clash at Canberra Stadium.

Marshall Chalk, who has been shifted from fullback to wing in order to accomodate for the return of Schifcofske, was yesterday relishing the challenge that lay ahead.

The 24-year-old rated Brisbane as the benchmark side of the competition and claimed the Raiders' approach to the clash would not change, despite the bevy of opposition stars missing in action.

"Everyone knows they will be without their Origin players but they've still got a lot of talent. Look at their side, they are a bit inexperienced compared to what they normally are but are still very strong," Chalk said.

The match looms as pivotal to Canberra's 2005 success. The corresponding match last season proved the turning point to the Raiders' season.

Canberra had lost six of its past eight matches in the lead-up to the game but upset the Queenslanders in Brisbane, proceeded to win three of its next four games and snuck into the finals in eighth position.

Chalk is faced with the tough task of controlling 18-year-old Brisbane schoolboy speedster Leon Bott on the wing this week.

Bott's lightning pace has fooled opponents in the past two months and Chalk is aware of the youngster's emerging talents.

"He's very fast, for sure," Chalk said. "He's proven in the past month or so he is a really good player, so I just have to not let him get outside me."

Fullback Schifcofske has not played since injuring his rib cartilage during Canberra's round seven loss to the Melbourne Storm but is confident he will be fit to play Brisbane.

He will have a final physical test tomorrow morning before making his decision.

Schifcofske said the key to a Canberra victory would be a strong kick-chase game and putting pressure on the Broncos' halves in the absence of five-eighth Darren Lockyer.