What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big three back for Broncos clash

thickos

First Grade
Big three back to tackle Broncos

woolford_426.jpg

June 7, 2005
spacer.gif
The Canberra Raiders have announced the return of three key players for Saturday’s match against the Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium, while two new faces are closer to playing their first NRL matches with the club.
The Raiders will be boosted against the top-of-the-table Broncos on Saturday night by the return of skipper Simon Woolford, fullback Clinton Schifcofske and prop Troy Thompson to the starting team.

Woolford will return from a two week suspension for a careless high tackle, while Schifcofske and Thompson are back from rib and hamstring injuries respectively. In great form before his injury, Schifcofske has missed five games.

“I’ll have a good hit out and see how it pulls up towards the end of the week, but I’m pretty confident I should be all right,” Schifcofske said.

In addition, former Sharks forwards Andrew Lomu and Jason Williams are on the edge of making their debuts for the Raiders in the top grade. The two giant New Zealanders have been included in an extended 20-man squad.

Lomu only made his debut for the Raiders in Premier League on Sunday, having been released last week by the Sharks. The former Roosters premiership player and New Zealand Test representative had his first training session with the Raiders’ NRL squad this morning.

“I want to get back in some good form, be consistent, get into the first grade squad and hopefully, down the line, I’d like to get back into the Test team if I can,” Lomu, 26, said.

“This is a new opportunity and I want to make consistency the number one key. I’ve enjoyed my short time so far in Canberra and I think it’ll be a great place to concentrate on footy.”

Williams, 24, was also a late addition to the Raiders this season, joining the club in April. He has played four Premier League matches for the club, two since returning from a hamstring injury.

Elliott said part of the reason he picked an extended squad was to promote competition for positions in the club. He tipped one of his two giant recruits, Lomu or Williams, would play this Saturday.

“I’m excited by the qualities they bring to the club. Jason didn’t get an NRL pre-season, but he’s been working extremely hard, he’s lost 10kg and he’s getting closer to first grade,” Elliott said.

“We probably got [Lomu] here for two reasons: one because of the form he’s been displaying in Premier League; and two, because of how good a player we know he can be. Sometimes a change of environment and some opportunity provided is all the spark a player needs.”

RAIDERS v BRONCOS
Saturday, June 11, 5.30pm
Canberra Stadium

1. CLINTON SCHIFCOFSKE
2. MARSHALL CHALK
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. DAVID HOWELL
5. CRAIG FRAWLEY
6. TERRY CAMPESE
7. LINCOLN WITHERS
8. MICHAEL HODGSON
9. SIMON WOOLFORD
10. TROY THOMPSON
11. MATT ADAMSON
12. IAN HINDMARSH
13. JASON CROKER

14. ALAN TONGUE
15. KRIS KAHLER
16. JOSH MILLER
17. MATT GAFA
18. ANDREW LOMU
19. JASON WILLIAMS
20. BEN CROSS

chub

Juniors
hopefully he doesn't run with the first four bench players...how small a team would that be!

thickos

First Grade
Great to see a bit of size in the team, hopefully they will add a bit of mongrel and intimidation to the team.

Looks a lot better with Germ back too.

icewind

Juniors
whats happened with frawley? he was playing well last year with the broncs, what have you done to him!

ausraider

Juniors
chub said:
hopefully he doesn't run with the first four bench players...how small a team would that be!

unfortunately i think thats exactly whats Elliot is going to do.But I guess if there is a injury to a backline than obviously Croker can fit in there.I would really like to see Williams get a shot.Heard you guys talk a bit about him.Never seen him play though.

ausraider

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
I'm confident as well, Raiders by 20 at least ;-)

Ultra if we don't bash em by 20+ with that team than there is a problem mate.Team looks like world beaters apart from Frawley.Don't know everytime he touches the ball seem like he will not get up.

Mr Saab

Referee
ausraider said:
Ultra if we don't bash em by 20+ with that team than there is a problem mate.Team looks like world beaters apart from Frawley.Don't know everytime he touches the ball seem like he will not get up.

world beaters? with THAT team? please.
Brisbane can take that raiders team

Evergreen

Juniors
ausraider said:

Don't forget that despite having all their Origin players out, the Broncos are still fielding a pretty formidable outfit with the likes of Webcke, Hunt, Hodges (getting back to his pre-Origin form), Tate, Costigan, Parker.......their depth this year is outstanding.

Needless to say, come Origin time they're no longer the 'Baby Broncos'.

Nevertheless, I am confident with our team, and we'll win by 8 with Campese having a cracker.

Chachi

Bench
Team looks pretty good to me too...great to see Chalk get a crack, but I think I'd prefer if he was in the centres with Graham outside. I think a lot will hinge on how well Woolford and Campo go though. Having said that, I'll just be glad if we can get through a game without an injury or suspension for a change.

Evergreen

Juniors
Surely he won't. Like Chalk, he has been playing too well, and will find himself in FG for a while to come yet.

If I'm wrong then I'll join you Woodgers in whatever word you choose to feel.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Lomu, Williams, Hodgo and Miller are an absolute must. We have had no go forward at all this year and these 4 blokes will provide it in spades.

Latest posts