What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nice Beaver

First Grade
This has got to be the last roll of the dice for Billy Slater next year. If his shoulder does not come up right then its time for the Storm to move on with Cameron Munster. He's had a great career, but if he has been out of the game for two years and he is talking like his shoulder is still not right then it sounds very ominous.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2016/12/06/14/01/storm-s-slater-not-set-on-nrl-return

Aye, aye Captain Obvious!

Lol, a bkoke turning 34 next season on the last year of his contract......ya think it might be his "last roll of the dice"?????

AJB1102

First Grade
As a Sharks fan I'm glad Slater wasn't playing on GF day.

Regardless of whether we see him again and how he goes with the shoulder when he's fit he's an exceptional player.

Someguy

First Grade
Surely benji Marshall and braith anasta rate a mention in the greatest fullback of all time debate

Exsilium

Coach
In the modern era he's the best by far. I can't see anyone coming close. Even with the likes of RTS, Moylan, Tedesco, Boyd, Dugan and Hayne sharing the number one. He really is/was wonderful to watch. Speed, timing and his footwork (both on the ground and in the air :smiley:) was freakish at times. Consistent too.

chigurh

Yep. Well him or Lockyer. Can't argue with anyone that calls it one way or another between these two, or anyone that thinks it's just too close to call.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Yep. Well him or Lockyer. Can't argue with anyone that calls it one way or another between these two, or anyone that thinks it's just too close to call.

It's no contest, Mini was a better fullback than Lockyer before his back injuries, of course Lockyer was a better all round footballer, hence his successful move to 5/8. As far as fullbacks are concerned Slater is easily the best I have seen and likely will ever see.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
billy in his peak was the definition of "rugby league speed" (I think I've pinched that from gus). Straight line speed he is/was still lightning fast but not the fastest but put a of cones in a zig zag and chuck a sudden right angle turn in there as well before a straight sprint at the end he would leave everyone in his dust which for a fullback returning the ball at a staggered line chasing is what you really need.

Shame it went from bad to worse with injuries over the last 2 seasons, was a long off but still a chance to have a crack at irvines try scoring tally if he stayed on the field this whole time.

ed-grimley

Bench
Billy has always played for good teams during his career and this has done his status in the game no harm whatsoever.
I wonder if he could have lifted a premiership trophy at the Warriors?

davi

Juniors
Billy Slater has proved alot doubters wrong before. Anyone remember when Billy Slater was dumped for Matty Bowen for Game 3 in the state of origin series in 2005? Slater worked his way back into the Queensland team and became an integral part of Queensland's success.

So Slater coming back and being his best again is not of the question. Just the question is if he can stay healthy. Kevin Walters has written off Slater ever coming back for Queensland though suggesting that the fullback position is now signed, sealed, and delivered with Darius Boyd.

It's no contest, Mini was a better fullback than Lockyer before his back injuries, of course Lockyer was a better all round footballer, hence his successful move to 5/8. As far as fullbacks are concerned Slater is easily the best I have seen and likely will ever see.
I disagree, and I disagree purely on the longevity factor.

The only thing imo Minichiello had over Lockyer were his kick returns were generally better - but that was because Lockyer used guile over the cannonball approach. No guesses who won it in the long term with that approach.

Lockyer had a bigger peak at FB than Mini, captained his state and country at fb, won the golden boot, won the clive churchill ... and then moved to 5/8th where he did it all again.

You're trying to squeeze Mini in there by splitting hairs on the term player/fb. Lockyer was the better both, but that period of Mini between 01-05 was awesome.

chigurh

Mini was fantastic (he was a better rep player than say Andrew Johns) but Lockyer was a better fullback and a better 'all round' player.

Tough to split Lockyer v Slater judging them on fullback ability alone.

If I was him, I'd retire right now. He's had a decorated career and has achieved everything, even literally throwing away a World Cup.

But seriously, he has nothing left to prove. Why come back and dirty up your memory? Why risk permanent injury and the chance to play with your kids in the backyard?

The game has passed him by. Even if he does return, I'm certain he won't reach anywhere near the heights he was at previously. You can't really have a fullback in his mid 30's. Mini was physically a freak, but even he was a faaaaar cry from the Mini of the mid 00's when he retired. Fullback is a young man's position.

Slater's watch is over.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I disagree, and I disagree purely on the longevity factor.

The only thing imo Minichiello had over Lockyer were his kick returns were generally better - but that was because Lockyer used guile over the cannonball approach. No guesses who won it in the long term with that approach.

Lockyer had a bigger peak at FB than Mini, captained his state and country at fb, won the golden boot, won the clive churchill ... and then moved to 5/8th where he did it all again.

You're trying to squeeze Mini in there by splitting hairs on the term player/fb. Lockyer was the better both, but that period of Mini between 01-05 was awesome.

Mini won a golden boot at fullback too.. He put his body on the line in a way Lockyer never did, had the strength and pace Lockyer didn't have and was a better ball runner, support player and much better under the high ball. Defensively he could be suspect one on one but could use his pace to cover kicks better than Lockyer ever could. I would never try to compare them as footballers as Lockyer was all round class, but his attributes were much better suited to 5/8 imho.