What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

God-King Dean

Immortal
And yet you have a triple signing secret boat owning piece of shit ( your own description ) as your avatar and playing in the team you support just goes to show that misfiring synapses in the brain aren't always lethal they sometimes produce online geniuss like yourself. :roll:

Gotta Love someone Dumb enough to fall for such an Obvious Troll :sarcasm:

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Its really hard to compare players from different eras. Watch even a match from the late 80s and you'll see defences and general speed of the game have improved out of sight. I'd say overall Slater's the best I've seen over a period of years, but Lockyer at his best was the best attacking fullback I've seen. Mini probably revolutionised kick returns more than anything. Hunt was always overrated and miles behind those three.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
I can't say I have seen a better FB than slater, I agree it's his consistency that sets him apart from others. Certainly Brett Mullins for a couple of years in the 90's was sensational, Lockyer a champion fullback, top 5 player in the last 30 years can't be discounted either But can't help think that Brett stewart would have been held in tha same regard except for his knee injuries cruelly his career.. He has similar freakish ability and even greater try scoring rate. To be fair a lot of billy slaters kudos comes from what he does off the ball,not sure if Stewart is in the same post code in that regard.

stormbati

Bench
I can't say I have seen a better FB than slater, I agree it's his consistency that sets him apart from others. Certainly Brett Mullins for a couple of years in the 90's was sensational, Lockyer a champion fullback, top 5 player in the last 30 years can't be discounted either But can't help think that Brett stewart would have been held in tha same regard except for his knee injuries cruelly his career.. He has similar freakish ability and even greater try scoring rate. To be fair a lot of billy slaters kudos comes from what he does off the ball,not sure if Stewart is in the same post code in that regard.

Work off the ball, Positional play & defense sets him apart from any fullback I have seen.

Azkatro

First Grade
I distinctly recall a lot of comparable comments a number of years back about Minichiello when he was at his peak. People seem to get over-excited about fullbacks for some reason. Slater has a lot of attacking talent and is good under the high ball but I struggle to see how you can justify calling him the best fullback of all time. As a couple have mentioned, his erratic nature cost big games earlier in his career and he never really established himself as a rep fullback until his mid-20's. He's in his 10th year now and he's only been playing for Australia for 3 years.

The best ever. The fact people can debate his dominance is staggering. He has already scored the two best tries of this year.

Billythekid

First Grade
Not much point asking the question on this forum. He is probably close to the most hated player on here so good luck getting an honest opinion.

Is Slater having a better run than Hayne in 2009 ? I mean consistent brilliance.

Consistent brilliance? Slater has been the best fullback for how long now? It's pretty rediculous to refer to a player who had one good year (and only in attack) as being consistently brilliant.

Avenger

Immortal
Not much point asking the question on this forum. He is probably close to the most hated player on here so good luck getting an honest opinion.

Consistent brilliance? Slater has been the best fullback for how long now? It's pretty rediculous to refer to a player who had one good year (and only in attack) as being consistently brilliant.

I do not deny that what I am inferring to is if Slater's current purple patch is on par or better than Haynes in 2009. I think Hayne ended up getting 7 consecutive Man of the match awards and basically did it on his own without class players like Cameron Smith and Cronk feeding him ball.

Noa

First Grade
Not really close to Haynes form. He's scored some good tries but other then that his form is good not great. Couple of real sloppy errors in a few games so far

firechild

First Grade
To be fair a lot of billy slaters kudos comes from what he does off the ball,not sure if Stewart is in the same post code in that regard.

During the discussions regarding Brett potentially leaving the club (and previous discussions when he's been out for extended periods) a lot of the talk amongst Manly supporters is how the defensive abilities will be covered. He's a freakish player with his tryscoring record but his positional play at the back is far more important to Manly. No doubt Slater is great defensively but I'd suggest you watch Stewart play, his positional play is near flawless and his ability to bring down attackers one on one is at least as good as Slaters. Watching Ben Farrar (a fringe first grader) so easily step around Slater in 2010 showed that Slater isn't the picture of perfection many try to claim. The one aspect that I think Slater legitimately has it over Stewart is the kick returns. Stewart admitedly was better pre-2009 but he never had the same powerful run that Slater has.

RABK

Referee
Stewart is severely underated when compared to Slater.

People forget his injuries, he is basically running on two 50 year old knees. 2006-2008 Stewart was a better player than Slater in a non cheating team.

firechild

First Grade
Bullshit, attacking a player whilst on the ground with 3 of his mates put him up the top of the grub ladder.

You might want to watch the footage again. When Blair was on the ground, Stewart did not punch, kick, elbow Blair or attack him in any way.

Hawkins

Juniors
I'm no storm fan so don't take this the wrong way but I don't think they have been missing him.