What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noa

First Grade
Slaters real quality is that he has endeared to keep improving himself.

You have to be a real RL afficianado to keep track of this, and there does seem to be a lot of short memories here..

Early in Slater's, you would see him relegated on the wing in SOO by players such as Hunt, Wesser and Bowen, because his defense was so poor. I mean it WAS considerd inferior to Bowen's at one stage. In his first two years his defence was appalling, you'd think he was a RU convert.

He has turned this around considerably, to the point this is not a discussion point.

Likewise he has made himself a rather consistent player, and this is value.

Make no mistake, the last 8 rounds, and the four final hames to get to the GF, of 2009, Hayne played the best any player has ever played for 12 consecutive games. But you can not rely on him to play well.

Slater has pretty much made his reputation on being a class player every game, despite the occasional brain explosion.

Belcher had 3 stand out years in a row, with the rest being Gidley quality, Jack probably had around 5 with the rest being Hornby quality. Mini had 3.5, being cut short by injury. Lockyer had very good years, but had knightmare games, such as his test debut vs NZ. His change to 5/8 has affected his legacy.

But then again, in Inglis's debut year, Slater was moved to centre while Inglis played fullback.

Eadie was not in the same league, nor was anyone between Changa and Jack.

Slater has three major strengths.

i) Consistency
ii) Athleticism
iii) Willingness to improve his game.

These alone make him the best since Changa, and possibly the best of all time,

Good post except for 1 thing.

Slater was out suspended for 6 weeks + 1 weeks at Norths while Greg was playing fullback (may have spent 2 games on the bench as well). When he got back into the starting team he went back to fullback and GI back to the centers where he started the first 4 games of the 2006 season.

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
I love all these knobs bringing character evaluation into it, the question is Billy Slater the best full-back of all time, no matter your opinion of him as a person, your a muppet if you think the kid is not the best we've seen, not to mention a horrible judge of talent. Afew people mentioned Stewart and Mini being better... Really? I mean c'mon... Really?

simostorm

Bench
He's good enough to be mentioned amongst these other guys.. i think thats a pretty good accomplishment in itself.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
I don't think it is a case of short memories to say Slater is better than Mini, at their peak they are similar but Slater has been at that level for longer, Mini was set back with injury and is only behind Slater and Lockyer as best fullback of the last 10-15 years.

Mini did have his weaknesses as well, didn't have the best hands and was never really a ball player more a strong bustling support player with strong kick returns.

Slater just gets better and better, 6 tries in the first 3 games and looking explosive every time he gets the ball. Freak.

NAS

Juniors
I think a few fullbacks over the last 25 years have been better than him for a season or two, Mullins had a couple of magnificent seasons, likewise minichello, Bowen and ole mate Jerry Hayes but Slater has had about 6-7 years + of excellence.

When he's on the field you feel that a try is just around the corner. Very difficult to compare him to Churchill or Langlands.

And I think this is what separates Billy Slater from the other great halfbacks of our time.

He's just been that good since 2003 really......He's had a bad game here and there, but he's never had an ordinary series of games. He's a marvel and at the very least is worthy of this discussion.

Is he as good as Churchill or Langlands? I don't know. I never saw either play, but there are a few blokes who did see them play.....

One was Ian Heads who said Slater was better than Langlands but not Churchill. Bobby Fulton has said that Slater is the best he's seen, and Ray Warren has consistently said that Slater is the best he's seen (although he did not study Churchill).

Churchill changed the fullback's game and I think there's alot to be said of that. Slater has played against some great great fullbacks (when you look at the fullbacks that Slater has played against- Stewart, Minichiello, Hunt, Hayne, Wesser, Bowen, Boyd etc etc etc it's been a golden age for the position really) and has really consistently bettered them all.

But perhaps the one thing that sets Billy apart from the pack is that when coming back from injury, he doesn't skip a beat. He didn't have an offseason this year.......But you wouldn't know it would you......

He's certainly an elite player of our game.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
But perhaps the one thing that sets Billy apart from the pack is that when coming back from injury, he doesn't skip a beat. He didn't have an offseason this year.......

Recovering from a broken collarbone says he did.

Bman26

Juniors
Recovering from a broken collarbone says he did.

Not 100% sure but think he meant pre-season. This however wouldn't be entirely true either, he played against Brisbane in Tasmania however his pre-season would have been limited....

nqboy

First Grade
Easily the best I've seen (since ~ 1980). It's only his occasional brain farts in big games that allow others like Lockyer close.

But I never saw Churchill or Changa.

joshreading

Staff member
To cement a label as a great, he needs to win a premiership....

He already has a Clive Churchill Medal from being the best in a Grandfinal. Still recorded as the best player in a Grandfinal. I am sure that seals that opposition.

Hutty1986

Immortal
He already has a Clive Churchill Medal from being the best in a Grandfinal. Still recorded as the best player in a Grandfinal. I am sure that seals that opposition.

lol, the CC medal meant nothing. Still get a laugh when i see Billy's "Premiers" tattoo

Mr Saab

Referee

Means jack shyte. The Storm cheated and all records for them winning 2007/9 mean nothing.

bottle

Coach
Whether he goes out with a Premiership is neither here nor there. It's not a reflection of individual ability. Steve Rogers, ET, Roach, Hindmarsh, Les Johns, Noel Kelly, Keith Holman. The list of quality players that left the game without that privilege, well, you could build a formidable side from those names. There were plenty of greats that were denied that opportunity if they played with anybody but Saints between 55-66.

I saw Chang play, but I was too young to remember him as a star player. By the time I caught onto his career he was at the end of his playing days, so too hard for me to judge that contest. Slater is the best I've seen in that position, and I have no love for Billy, grub that he is. I still maintain that Fulton was the best I saw in his prime. Again no love for the man as a human being, then or now, just appreciated his skills as a footy player and glad I got to see him play.

Latest posts