What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

moik

Bench
There's not a player in the game that could have scored that second try of Slater's.

Just amazing.

LESStar58

Referee
In the words of Phil Gould "WHO DOES THAT!?!?!?!"

That second try could not have been scored by anyone else in the world IMO. That David Mead try last year was pretty impressive but for Billy to score that, to have the piece of mind to a) pinch the ball while airborne and b) ground it before he went dead in goal.... I would be hard pressed to find someone capable of that. Inglis maybe. Barba perhaps but that moment from Billy was just phenomenal.

Brutus

Referee
Look, I like Slater, but Daley just didn't shut up about him tonight.

And he kept using double speak to make his point.

Daley kept repeating himself all game.

all game

all game

all game...

Last edited:

StormHi

Juniors
I have only been in Australia for 16 years but holy shit Slater is the best fullback I have seen play the game. His speed his vision and the height he can get for a small bloke blows my mind.

I was really impressed by William Zillman tonight as well.

DC_fan

Coach
Changa ....daylight then Slater.

I was lucky to see Langlands play. He is an immortal and rightly so.

The game since Chang played has changed a lot and so has fullback play. It is hard, maybe impossible to compare players of different eras.

But my thought is that Slater has so many more aspects to his game then Chang ever did and he is brilliant at just about all of them.

I have no doubt that Slater is the best fullback I have seen in over 45 years of following the game.

Hallatia

Referee
I never believed and never will that Minichiello at his best was better than Lockyer at fullback (which I believe was the same time). Slater is now better than both and has been for the past couple of years.
I think there was a time when Brett Stewart was better than Slater, but then Stewart had a few injury and other well documented problems and Slater streaked ahead and since then he has become the best I've seen

Raider_69

Post Whore
Prized grub, no question.
Questionable morality, no question

but as a player, i know ill tell my grand kids one day that i saw Billy Slater play and they'll look at me with the same stunned/in awe look that i give my grandfather every time he talks about Changa. Like him or not as a person, as a player, he's one of the greatest players in his position of all time

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
I was lucky to see Langlands play. He is an immortal and rightly so.

The game since Chang played has changed a lot and so has fullback play. It is hard, maybe impossible to compare players of different eras.

But my thought is that Slater has so many more aspects to his game then Chang ever did and he is brilliant at just about all of them.

I have no doubt that Slater is the best fullback I have seen in over 45 years of following the game.

Thats because the position requires it now.

But to suggest that a freak player like Langlands wouldnt have adapted to what is required today is asanine. And that goes for any great player of yesteryear (size permitting)

Raider_69

Post Whore
too hard to compare era to era

langlands didnt have the skills of Slater, nor the professional training and pay packet. Who's to say he wouldnt have developed it? Me, it wasnt what was required. He wasnt as skilled as slater. but thats the age

at the time changa was dominate, slater is dominate. Both clear cut HOFers

Latest posts