What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DC_fan

Coach
Thats because the position requires it now.

But to suggest that a freak player like Langlands wouldnt have adapted to what is required today is asanine. And that goes for any great player of yesteryear (size permitting)

You obviously did not read what I said did you?

I said the game and fullback play has changed since Chang has played. This is not downgrading his career, just stating a fact. a fact that Chang would most likely agree with himself.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Would have to say Slater's the best I've seen. Billy is just a freak, he pulls off things nobody else can and he does all the things a fullback is expected to do extremely well.

Lots of people see to have short memories though, Minichiello was something really special in his day. In 2003, his first complete season at fullback he averaged over 180 meters a match and over 20 meters per kick return. He won NSW Origin game, won Australia and he won the Roosters games.

I would like to see Kevin Locke surpass Slater and can see it happening.

I have seen Eadie, Brentnall, Jack, Belcher, Minichiello and in my time they were the best 5 I had seen. Billy Slater is better then all of them. Isx he better then Churchill and Langlands who knows. But since colour TV I would suggest he is.

Noa

First Grade
You obviously did not read what I said did you?

I said the game and fullback play has changed since Chang has played. This is not downgrading his career, just stating a fact. a fact that Chang would most likely agree with himself.

I did read what you said . You said " Slater has so many more aspects to his game then Chang ever did". When the fact is fullbacks back then didnt need to develop the skills they have today which is why its a stupid reason to base an opinion

Billy worked very hard to aquire the good, not great, skill he has today. Langlands would have done the same. Like 69 said you base it on how a player dominates a game at a particlaur time, nothing more. In this regard I dont think you can argue Langlands wasnt as dominate as Billy is.

And Bill has 1 massive knock, he doesnt react well too pressure. Too many people overlook this

Rebound

Juniors
In the modern game, yes, its hard to compare to the likes of the above when their era's were quite different.

sheet_ed

Juniors
I am old enough to see the likes of Thornett, Eadie, Langlands, Les Johns and Minichiello. I remember seeing Langlands play and he would fit right into the modern era, he did things that blew your mind, but he was like all players of that era, an opportunist (and a bloody good one).

Slater, in my opinion, has just now pipped Langlands as you can see it in the crowd in the same way that they reacted to Bozo Fulton and Brett Kenny, whenever he gets the ball the crowd tenses up on what he will do.

In the early part of his career he too was greedy and careless, now you will see as many try assists and saves to his name as you will see tries, this what stands him apart from Langlands.

Slater is now at the point in his career when Langlands retired - will he be an immortal - ask me in 20 years.

Those who hate him would drool to have him on their team as they know the confidence he brings to a backline.

I must add that it is a pity that Minichiello has had that bad back injury - we might be talking about him in the same vein.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
We are all guilty of being caught in the moment when it comes to sport. That said, better judges than you and I are now stating he IS the best they've seen in the number one jersey. Astute judges like Phil Gould claim as much. I find it hard to argue based on all the evidence I've seen. The resume is complete at only 28. His best years are ahead of him.

Just sit back and enjoy the show acknowledging it's a privilege to have seen him play from start to finish. I've seen some great rugby players, Billy is closing in on my top five of all time. When it's all said and done he, like Lockyer, like Johns, will earn a place with the Immortals. He is that good.

DC_fan

Coach
I did read what you said . You said " Slater has so many more aspects to his game then Chang ever did". When the fact is fullbacks back then didnt need to develop the skills they have today which is why its a stupid reason to base an opinion

Billy worked very hard to aquire the good, not great, skill he has today. Langlands would have done the same. Like 69 said you base it on how a player dominates a game at a particlaur time, nothing more. In this regard I dont think you can argue Langlands wasnt as dominate as Billy is.

And Bill has 1 massive knock, he doesnt react well too pressure. Too many people overlook this

It is not a stupid reason to base an opinion on that. Fair dinkum you are a dope if you think so.

Its saying the game is forever evolving and that players have to be more skillful then their predecessors. No doubt in 30 years or so time fans of the game will be having the same discussion about a then current player.

Plus where did I say Chang was dominate? Langlands was a great player and is deserves to be an Immortal

As I said its difficult to compare players of different eras. Maybe we shouldn't, but we all do.

Last edited:

Scarves

Juniors
I'm not going to comment on fullbacks before 1984 so that rules out greats like Eadie, Langlands, Les Johns, Churchill etc but since 1985 in my view he is without peer as a fullback. All fullbacks today look at his game and his incredible anticipation as a model for their game, he is professional, ultra competitive and performance wise he is quite simply outstanding, yep I need to repeat it... outstanding. Billy has been the benchmark since the 2006 season and has consistently improved on the amazing since, he always wants to be around the ball, he always wants the ball and I have never seen a player capture my imagination as much as this bloke.

I can't go as far as Phil Rothfield as I don't think you can rate players in different positions. Front row is so much different to halfback and that also goes for fullback and I've seen great players in all positions and they all deserve kudos.

but if you don't rate Billy Slater as a player you probably have some very personal problems and insecurities.... I hope you get that sorted out.

miccle

Bench
Best attacking fullback I have seen.

Got some big balls in defence as well for a jockey.

For a jockey? Lol. You need just as much in the balls department to be a jockey as an rl player imo.

Those bloke aren't big but they are genuinely tough.

As for slater, I said earlier that he still has crucial mistakes in him. Might still be the case but that's starting to not matter as much. He's just getting better and better.

Ulysseus

Bench
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Chang has 4 premierships and the distinction of captaining his country, as well as success at international level.
Slater has origin success, some international success and questions over his involvement with a salary cap scandal.
Good high energy player though.

POPEYE

Coach
Is that you talking tough?

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours

I've never had him in my cab so I can't comment on his character but of course you've had him in yours by the sound of it.

Did he expect a free ride because he's the best fullback of all time or are you just another flat-arsed big gutted cretin who talks thru his arse

POPEYE

Coach
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Chang has 4 premierships and the distinction of captaining his country, as well as success at international level.
Slater has origin success, some international success and questions over his involvement with a salary cap scandal.
Good high energy player though.

Should be Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . your lack of schooling lets you down

Latest posts