What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noa

First Grade
It is not a stupid reason to base an opinion on that. Fair dinkum you are a dope if you think so.

In my opinion its a banal reason.

Plus where did I say Chang was dominate? Langlands was a great player and is deserves to be an Immortal

You didnt, maybe you should learn to read stupid. Its a follow on from my comment, that you base where some-one ranks on to what extent they dominated games not how many things they could do.

As I said its difficult to compare players of different eras. Maybe we shouldn't, but we all do

Finally you get something right, especailly when it comes to fullbacks

Tommy Smith

Referee
Is he the most talented? Hard to say.

There's absolutely no question however that no-one has played the fullback position at a higher level than Slater.

With all due respect to Churchill, Langlands etc, these guys were part-time players with not even half of Slater's physical talents or conditioning.

Had they been around today who knows how good they would have been. But, they're not, so its quite clear that Slater is producing the greatest displays, week-in and week-out, ever seen by a fullback.

StormHi

Juniors
Who the f**k are you?

You've just been PopEye'd Olive :)

ROFL

Like I said Before I have never seen any of the Old School legends (wasnt watching league back then) and watching highlight reels doesnt really give me a true Idea of what their week to week game play was like. But like I said from the all the games and fullbacks I have seen Slater is waaaay in front...

I think something to remember (and this applies to Locky as well to some extent) He has had the privilage of playing with the same playing group (and its a strong playing group) for a very long time and that would in my mind play a huge part in making him look extradinary.

Still think he is best Fullback I have seen to date.

(Disclaimer* yeah I know My spelling sucks :( )

carcharias

Immortal
For a jockey? Lol. You need just as much in the balls department to be a jockey as an rl player imo.

Those bloke aren't big but they are genuinely tough.

As for slater, I said earlier that he still has crucial mistakes in him. Might still be the case but that's starting to not matter as much. He's just getting better and better.

Calm down ...
I was not having a go at jockeys .
I was just saying that he being the size of a jockey and if I am correct did actually
work as a jockey or something when he was younger.
That he shows no fear for a little bloke deservers credit.

I would gladly have him in the fullback jumper at the sharks making all these so called mistakes.
The 130 try's in 206 games almost evens it out.

taxidriver

Coach
I've never had him in my cab so I can't comment on his character but of course you've had him in yours by the sound of it.

Did he expect a free ride because he's the best fullback of all time or are you just another flat-arsed big gutted cretin who talks thru his arse

Got to love a keyboard hero

Enoughsaid

Juniors
HAyne who? played about 6 good games in 2009

Slater good every week for storm,QLD and Australia
bowen is a gem too

Scott Wilson
luke goodwin

PARRA_FAN

Coach
All time is hard to say really, but Slater is the best Ive ever seen without doubt.

Never saw Churchill and Langlands obviously, growing up Belcher, Mullins and Lockyer were pretty good (although I reckon Lockyer got better when he switched back to 5/8).

I dont think ive seen a more consistent and brilliant fullback over the years than Billy Slater. Thats my opinion.

STORM.99/07

Bench
BILLY is The BEST of our time.He is consistent and exciting. He doesn`t stand back,he is always around the play of the ball.BILLY is a SUPERSTAR.

derp

Juniors
Slater is a obnoxious triple contract singing piece of shit who needs to be shot with a ball of his own shit.

StormHi

Juniors
Slater is a obnoxious triple contract singing piece of shit who needs to be shot with a ball of his own shit.

And yet you have a triple signing secret boat owning piece of shit ( your own description ) as your avatar and playing in the team you support just goes to show that misfiring synapses in the brain aren't always lethal they sometimes produce online geniuss like yourself. :roll:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Slaters real quality is that he has endeared to keep improving himself.

You have to be a real RL afficianado to keep track of this, and there does seem to be a lot of short memories here..

Early in Slater's, you would see him relegated on the wing in SOO by players such as Hunt, Wesser and Bowen, because his defense was so poor. I mean it WAS considerd inferior to Bowen's at one stage. In his first two years his defence was appalling, you'd think he was a RU convert.

He has turned this around considerably, to the point this is not a discussion point.

Likewise he has made himself a rather consistent player, and this is value.

Make no mistake, the last 8 rounds, and the four final hames to get to the GF, of 2009, Hayne played the best any player has ever played for 12 consecutive games. But you can not rely on him to play well.

Slater has pretty much made his reputation on being a class player every game, despite the occasional brain explosion.

Belcher had 3 stand out years in a row, with the rest being Gidley quality, Jack probably had around 5 with the rest being Hornby quality. Mini had 3.5, being cut short by injury. Lockyer had very good years, but had knightmare games, such as his test debut vs NZ. His change to 5/8 has affected his legacy.

But then again, in Inglis's debut year, Slater was moved to centre while Inglis played fullback.

Eadie was not in the same league, nor was anyone between Changa and Jack.

Slater has three major strengths.

i) Consistency
ii) Athleticism
iii) Willingness to improve his game.

These alone make him the best since Changa, and possibly the best of all time,

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
Never seen such a great player who just flat out blows when playing for his country.[/telling it like it is.]

Latest posts