What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater > Karmichael Hunt

Pierced Soul

First Grade
slater was outstanding BUT it's his thrid test match and his first two were average. when he can consistently perform well at rep level for several years we can start talking about how good he is. i think rabits is going senile to ask whetehr he's the best :crazy::crazy:

hunt doesnt have the speed or agility that slater or stewart have but he does have better ball playing skills and he seems to offer a lot to the team in terms of direction (not saying that slater and stewart dont)

Bman26

Juniors
Hunt need to get rid of his "I'm going to shoulder charge everything that moves attitude" when he comes on against PNG. I didn't see one of them stick last night he just looked like a 14 year old playing under 21's.

Azkatro

First Grade
I don't really get the love for Billy Slater? Yes he is exciting in attack but he is quite erratic overall, as people have mentioned he couldn't secure a spot for QLD. His positioning is far from the best, and while his running game is top notch his passing is extremely hit and miss. Also as NSW showed if he gets belted he will go missing.

After the 2008 season I would even rank Brett Stewart ahead of him, overall he is a more polished player. Hunt would have to be the best percentage fullback in the game, he will always get you excellent kick return metres and is dependable at running the second man play (ie he won't throw the final pass 20m over the winger's head).

Matt Bowen is somewhere in the middle of all that I think, his unpredictability in attack is a big weapon, plays a very good second 5/8th role, but also like Slater he can go missing if he gets rattled in defense.

So with all that in mind, I'd say Hunt -> Stewart -> Slater -> Bowen.

watatank

Coach
I don't really get the love for Billy Slater? Yes he is exciting in attack but he is quite erratic overall, as people have mentioned he couldn't secure a spot for QLD. His positioning is far from the best, and while his running game is top notch his passing is extremely hit and miss. Also as NSW showed if he gets belted he will go missing.

After the 2008 season I would even rank Brett Stewart ahead of him, overall he is a more polished player. Hunt would have to be the best percentage fullback in the game, he will always get you excellent kick return metres and is dependable at running the second man play (ie he won't throw the final pass 20m over the winger's head).

Matt Bowen is somewhere in the middle of all that I think, his unpredictability in attack is a big weapon, plays a very good second 5/8th role, but also like Slater he can go missing if he gets rattled in defense.

I agree with most of that but I think Slater's positioning is as good as anyone else's IMO.

typicalfan

Coach
Slater is the quickest guy to the ball when kicked out of anyone, and he puts his body on the line.

He got belted in the first tackle last night, but ended up head and shoulders above the rest. I cant see how you can compare Stewart to Slater in the "couldnt secure a spot" argument. Because Stewart couldnt secure a spot either.

Azkatro

First Grade
Slater is the quickest guy to the ball when kicked out of anyone, and he puts his body on the line.
He got belted in the first tackle last night, but ended up head and shoulders above the rest.
How quickly you forget Origin 1, 2008!

watatank

Coach

He got belted in the first tackle last night, but ended up head and shoulders above the rest. I cant see how you can compare Stewart to Slater in the "couldnt secure a spot" argument. Because Stewart couldnt secure a spot either.

Stewart getting dropped for Gidley was clearly a strategic move to compensate for NSW's inept halves more than anything. Before that Stewart was practically NSW's best player for the series. Slater was dropped because Meninga couldn't trust him during the opening exchanges

aqua_duck

Coach
I can't see how Hunt can be rated a better player than stewart, I really can't and this is coming from someone who can't stand the sea eagles, Stewart is every bit as safe as Hunt but with he's atleast 10m quicker over 100m. Hunt is probably the better ball player but Stewarts try scoring ability and line breaking ability is infinately better than Hunt.
Put simple Hunt could never break a game wide open off his own bat like Slater and Stewart can.
Btw I think people are abit harsh on Bowen, ofcourse he's been ordinary this year, he's been injured most of the year. At their best I think I'd take Bowen over any fullback

typicalfan

Coach
Stewart getting dropped for Gidley was clearly a strategic move to compensate for NSW's inept halves more than anything. Before that Stewart was practically NSW's best player for the series. Slater was dropped because Meninga couldn't trust him during the opening exchanges
but he still ended up scoring the try that won them the series

typicalfan

Coach
How quickly you forget Origin 1, 2008!
Slater didnt go missing, he got tired from running the ball back all the time i think he nearly made a record with his metres for QLD. Totally different and SOO 1 was just one game.

Jumpin Jackass

Juniors

TBH with the amount of times Slater runs through and scoops up grubbers/catches balls on the run I'd say he probably is the best positional fullback in the nrl, it's moreso his tendancy to leap 10 metres in the air when someone puts a bomb up that makes him occasionally miss/drop bombs. Overall I'd say stewert plays his roll better and IMO is a slightly better fullback but he dosen't have the flair that slater does, as for Hunt he's a great tough hard ass kinda fullback but aus is never in close tough games anyway so I'd pick Slater every time in the australian team.

Pistol

Coach
In Origin 1 he made the most metres out of any queenslander im pretty sure.

thats pretty easy to do when he has a gap of 20 or so metres to go before the defence gets to him.

Simply put, he was good last night, deserved the man of the match, however he did that silly jump in the second half and spilt an easy take. He's a good player no doubt. But I dont think he's quite on the 20 foot high pedastal the commentators built for him last night

Last edited:

sooperdooper

First Grade
Some people are smoking to much of that wacky stuff.........BOWEN?
the guy doesnt even rate in the top 5.
We are blessed with great fullbacks currently.
The best of them being: Slater,Hunt,Stewart in no particular order.
They all have the incredible days. not often a bad one

Latest posts