What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater > Karmichael Hunt

adamkungl

Immortal
Some people are smoking to much of that wacky stuff.........BOWEN?
the guy doesnt even rate in the top 5.
We are blessed with great fullbacks currently.
The best of them being: Slater,Hunt,Stewart in no particular order.
They all have the incredible days. not often a bad one

Even when Bowen was everyone's favourite he was still overrated imo.

emil1989

Juniors
LOL @ melon..your probably one of those idiots who doesnt watch the broncos games or the origin...

i think all 3 are equally as good but play completely different..i cant really rate stewart cos i havnt seen every match he's played cos i hate manly but from the matches ive seen he's a good fullback..

imo bowen and slater are similar players except bowen craps on slater with his ball playing ability.. bowen was the best fullback last year if anyone actually remember the season in detail..i hope he comes back and plays his best..

slater, hunt and stewart are all equal..u can pick any of them and they wont let u down

also..i think hunt is a better origin player than slater..but looking at that..origin is way tougher and harder then international games

and i dont know if id pick stewart in fullback if slater was ever injured because pretty much the whole backline is queensland

typicalfan

Coach
so what? he still played better than Hunt, how about the Semi final? where was Hunt in that big game?

watatank

Coach
Ok, so Slater scored the winning try. No one is contending his attacking brilliance. He is still a bit suspect under the high ball and tends to go missing when really tested. His passing game could also do with work but that's a minor detail. Hunt is not as brilliant but he's the safest fullback going around and you know what to expect of him and you know he won't let you down when you select him. That's why he got selected at fullback ahead of Slater in Origin. Slater scores the winning try, well it shows he is a brilliant attacking player which everyone already knew.

Tommax25

Bench
Slater is the quickest guy to the ball when kicked out of anyone, and he puts his body on the line.

He got belted in the first tackle last night, but ended up head and shoulders above the rest. I cant see how you can compare Stewart to Slater in the "couldnt secure a spot" argument. Because Stewart couldnt secure a spot either.

yeah thats a bit crazy, that was insanity dropping stewart, he was in the top 3 of blues players for the firts two games, this was merely bellamy being strategic like wankatank said, which was stupid because if he wanted gidley at fb and was planning that move he should have let the selectors know and they wouldnt have picked stewart, he is not a good player to have on the bench.

slater couldnt secure a spot on form and ability in origin. from what I remember he had a somewhat shaky game in game 1, and hunt replaced him. hunt did mich better and what was expected whilst slater did well enough in his new role. it worked out well but slater could not crack starting fb (and I doubt he will next season either) out of the two.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
but he still ended up scoring the try that won them the series

My Nan would have scored that try. Thurston did all the work - he made the break. Slater just had to be there with the ability to catch a pass and fall over the line.

That being said, he did have an outstanding game on Sunday night. But he still wouldn't make my team ahead of Hunt or Stewart. His kick returns are at times woeful, and there are currently plenty of other options at centre, wing and the halves that can make up for his absence in attack.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
I can't split Slater and Stewart in attack. Stewart is an amazing finisher, has great ballskills and passing, and is one of the fastest players around. Slater's passing game is very much manufactured and well below Stewart's, but he is better on his feet.

Stewart is the best defensive fullback in the game(his speed in cover puts him over Hunt), well above Slater.

Personally I'd pick Stewart over Slater if it was a tough game.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
SLater and Stewart are both better gamebreakers than hunt, hunt is more reliable and tougher but thats as far as it goes, he simply hasn't got the same speed, acceleration, footwork, and try scoring ability as slater or stewart. Hunt is a good ball player but his running game is average, he lacks the speed to be a devastating ball carrier
That's rather true (although Hunt's running game certainly isn't average - he's just being compared to two of the best in the business).

Slater and Stewart are more explosive and dangerous. In a game where their team is dominant they will be better, they are players who will take a good win and turn into a great win. That's why they will generally be better for Australia than what Hunt would be.

But I'd certainly take Hunt for Origin. In a very tight, aggresive match where the smallest mistakes are punished severely, Hunt comes into his own. He is very safe, he gets his team onto the front foot when he takes a kick, extremely good under the bomb, plus is also a great organiser and talker. Most people don't realise it, but he is very vocal behind the defensive line, and when the team is struggling and a player makes a mistake Hunt is normally the first one there to pat him on the back and help rebuild his confidence.

If either NZ or England actually came out and followed a great gameplan, aggresively targeting the Aussies and turned it into a real tussle, then I'd prefer Hunt out there. But until that happens, Slater and Stewart are obviously on top.

whatever

Juniors
Slater for mine personally.

About the comments made by those calling the game, premature perhaps but dam if that wasn't the best performance from a fullback that I have seen in my 25 years of watching rugby league.

That was against England, the team Sterlo said would push Australia the hardest in this world cup.

Mr Saab

Referee
That was against England, the team Sterlo said would push Australia the hardest in this world cup.

The same sterlo who said in a 2002 mid yr test between the poms and australia that the game would not be a blowout as many expected (said this after 10 mins)

Final score

64-10

hellteam

First Grade
I like Sterlo and reckon he gives the best insight into rugby league. Least bias too

cb4

First Grade
sterlo just loves the flavour of the month
this is the same guy who kept goin on about cooper being better than spaznier

Mr Saab

Referee
I like Sterlo and reckon he gives the best insight into rugby league. Least bias too

The same sterlo who said that the game is boring today?
Please
Give me the past 10 yrs over the 70s and 80s.
The 70s and 80s may have had the characters, but it was not the most exciting game play.

Latest posts