What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bit short on back up hookers/halfs

aelek

Juniors
Hi Guys,

This is my first thread, so please be gentle.

Looks like we are a bit skinny in a couple of improtant positions - hooker and half.

Now that George N has left looks like the only back up to James A is Riley brown. And if M Pearce doesn't fire James, will probably be playing half.

Any ideas on possibilities or any good young hookers coming through.

I know Ian Lacey the ex Brisbane player is keen on playing NRL again and could pick him up cheap. I believe he played some hooker last year.

Geohood

Bench
There could be current players being trained up as hookers/halves.. Im sure Freddy and Gus know our lack of depth is a problem and are making up for it.

RWB

Bench
Geohood said:
There could be current players being trained up as hookers/halves.. Im sure Freddy and Gus know our lack of depth is a problem and are making up for it.

You mean Freddie and Gus are coming out of retirement. :crazy:

RWB

Bench
We didn't play with a halfback in our winning streak. We used Wing and Sa, both who were just doing there own thing. Anasta did it all, if he has Mini backing him up for a whole season we will be fine.

stumped

Juniors
Freddy's Girl said:
Fittler could even use Ben Jones off the bench, he looks like a good prospect.

I hope not, if anything came out of last year, I am sure we all would agree 17/18 is far too young to blood a 1/2 back. Mitch had his spasmodic glimpse of a future star, but not mentally tough enough just yet IMO

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
RWB said:
We didn't play with a halfback in our winning streak. We used Wing and Sa, both who were just doing there own thing. Anasta did it all, if he has Mini backing him up for a whole season we will be fine.

The roosters still need pearce to step up and take more control then what he did last yr. Anasta and pearce have to develop a combination for the roosters to be any threat. I agree with what you said and anasta should have a top season but what happens if anasta gets injured ? You will see that anasta will take care of the long kicking game and pearce will be in charge of the short kicking game.

RWB

Bench
Freddy's Girl said:
The roosters still need pearce to step up and take more control then what he did last yr. Anasta and pearce have to develop a combination for the roosters to be any threat. I agree with what you said and anasta should have a top season but what happens if anasta gets injured ? You will see that anasta will take care of the long kicking game and pearce will be in charge of the short kicking game.

Agree with you 100%.

Anasta and Pearce should click well together, they compliment each other nicely. If the forward pack gives them room and they get good service out of dummy half they could do anything this year.

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
RWB said:
Agree with you 100%.

Anasta and Pearce should click well together, they compliment each other nicely. If the forward pack gives them room and they get good service out of dummy half they could do anything this year.

Our forwards let us down the most last yr, but in the last 8 weeks we were still able to cause trouble to teams like melbourne, considering we held them at 20 nil at one stage. Add mason and o'meley to the pack thats a bonus for our halves. Fittler is getting mason and pearce to work together to also develop a combination between each other, which can only benifit him. With mini back in the team that should add some spark to, but that may take some time for him to get back to his personal best.

i don't see how you can heap the blame on the forwards. everyone was at fault until freddy took over and if anything the forwards pulled their finger out more than the backs. pini and shillo took it to the other teams like they hadn't done all year and fitzy was just fitzy and nuts was mr consistent off the bench and even harrison chipped in

pearce is a WIP but letting go of soward will hit us this year. shouldn't of let ndaira go just for the sake of what if with aubusson

i still think anasta should be lock with sa at 5/8. sa was very competant there with wing at half

Monk

Referee
yeh, pearce really needs to step up... but he is showing good signs...
i think he is ready for FG, when he was in PL after his injury the jets put 50 on the dragons....
he is ready i think...
also who will be VC now that harrisons gone???

is a VC really vital?? i dont really think so

in professional sport everyone has their role to play i dont think a VC is as pivotol as it was 20 years ago imo

D

Deleted member 10972

Brown is like Flannery, a lock/centre who can play some 5-8.

FG

6. Anasta
7. Pearce

9. Jorbs

14. Jones
15. Sa

Jets

6. Branighan
7. Millwood

9. Kostjaysn

14. Ayoub
15. Brown

NYC

6. Symonds
7. Taumata

9. Molan

14. Friend
15. ???

Taniwha

Juniors
Brown is like Flannery, a lock/centre who can play some 5-8.

FG

6. Anasta
7. Pearce

9. Jorbs

14. Jones
15. Sa

Jets

6. Branighan
7. Millwood

9. Kostjaysn

14. Ayoub
15. Brown

NYC

6. Symonds
7. Taumata

9. Molan

14. Friend
15. ???

I read somewhere on LU that he'd been released...?

RWB

Bench
Monk said:
yeh, pearce really needs to step up... but he is showing good signs...
i think he is ready for FG, when he was in PL after his injury the jets put 50 on the dragons....
he is ready i think...
also who will be VC now that harrisons gone???

Mini, Braith or Soliola would be my guess.

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
i don't see how you can heap the blame on the forwards. everyone was at fault until freddy took over and if anything the forwards pulled their finger out more than the backs. pini and shillo took it to the other teams like they hadn't done all year and fitzy was just fitzy and nuts was mr consistent off the bench and even harrison chipped in

pearce is a WIP but letting go of soward will hit us this year. shouldn't of let ndaira go just for the sake of what if with aubusson

i still think anasta should be lock with sa at 5/8. sa was very competant there with wing at half

Pearce will turn out better then soward. Pearce came into a team that was struggling, but yet he still showed he had the confidence to run this side. He showed he had the potential and now needs to build on that. Soward has had plenty of chances at this club.

Anasta has to remian our 5/8, his performance last yr under Freddy proved he can handle the position. Fittler biggest mistake would be changing the halves. That's all Stuart and Anderson did and it got us no where.

As for the VC, anasta should get it for sure. All of last yr he ws displaying leadership skills and once fitzy retires, he will lead the club. Mini would be an option, but I would think that he needs to concentrate on his comeback at the moment.