What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BK - The best lock of all time?

RABK

Referee
People forget how good Brad Mackay was on his day, top class player. Wonder how he is going these days...

Dutchy

Immortal
Bazal said:
BK isn't fit to lace his shoes...

Nah - I cant just leave it at that.

You are a dead set tool..WTF!!!

BK is one of the greatest back rowers of all time - he might or might not be better - I dont care - Im not gonna sit back and not say anything about that comment - Whats your beef? Manly or BK?

dude...sh*t..nah f**k it...grow a fricken brain

OVP

Coach
Most older people i talk to regard Johnny Raper as the best ever. They make a good point when they explain what he did. I never saw Raper play, but i dont doubt he was the best lock of all. In modern times, of those ive seen Clyde was a true freak, but was too injury prone and was rarely there for club games ... so i'd have to side with Kennedy. Ray Price wasnt bad either. He wouldnt be out of place in any era.

edabomb

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
People forget how good Brad Mackay was on his day, top class player. Wonder how he is going these days...

He was on the footy show the other week. He is a fireman somewhere and he looks cut. Hasn't changed much other than toning down his hair. I think another underrated lock is Tonie Carroll. I think he is an awesome defender, and his running game is pretty good too.

I'd definately say BK has been the lock of the 95-05 decade, and probably in the top ten to play the position. I think he is a harder runner of the ball than Clyde was too.

Bazal

Post Whore
scottyj said:

BK is one of the greatest back rowers of all time - he might or might not be better - I dont care - Im not gonna sit back and not say anything about that comment - Whats your beef? Manly or BK?

Lol. Never saw Clyde play I take it? I don't even rate BK the best backrower in the comp at the moment, let alone one of the best of all time. Heck I can probably list a few just from my club that would make BK look like a fool. He is a good player, but he will never be a Brad Clyde. I doubt anyone will. As many have mentioned in this thread, Clyde was the complete package. He combined the workload and fitness of a Nathan Hindmarsh, with the attacking prowess of a Ben Kennedy and an absolutely flawless tackling style. He was the type of player who would play on through a howling gale with two busted knees and a concussion, and still make 130 metres, 30 odd tackles. And probably set up a try. Whilst BK is good, he is nowhere near as consistent as the Clydes, Prices etc. He has nowhere near the all round skills of Clyde, except maybe offloading. He hasn't the attitude of Clyde or the fitness of Clyde. He is good, but to call him the best lock ever is just silly. He isn't even top 5.

Saint 60

Juniors
Moffo said:
There are many contenders and although I hate to line up different generations, i think BK would cover anyone on his day. It is so unfortunate that injuries have cruelled his career (to a degree), as this guy for mine is the best forward going around today and I doubt there has been a better player in the past

Perhaps one day the wider league community will appreciate this

he's a dam fine player thats for sure...he puts in and will do his utmost to win at all costs...yup would definately be one of the best forwards running round today..

after that Moffo..Immortals are Immortals for a reason :lol:

Mal Meninga

Bench
I can't comment on previous era's but BK is one of the best in any position in the past decade. Much like Clyde, he's been decimated by injuries during his career but their is nothing he hasn't done. But the difference was that throughout his career, Clyde was the benchmark for a long time. Vice-captain at 19 I think on a Kangaroos tour to the Ashes is no mean feat.

Saint 60

Juniors
Yeah Clyde was touted as the best player in the world for a few years...
from memmory Wally took that off him..

but there were some very good locks in the 70s and 80s..
Price, Reddy, Pearce, Geyer played lock i think, Langmack, Big Kiwi (c) lock at Norths for years...Graham i think was his name, Coote..
Kennedy would not be outclassed in that company id say for what its worth....

the forwards can be much bigger now and work much harder in short bursts because of the interchange...

Ben Kennedy & Bradley Clyde are the best locks I've seen run around in my lifetime.

Scott Sattler and Colin Van Der Voort aren't too far behind! :D

Eelementary

Post Whore
BK is bloody good...But can you really compare him to different eras?

I mean, you had guys playing in times when the 10 metre rule didn't exist and that.

Plus, I don't think it's a bad accolade for BK to call him bloody good, though.

I will say this, though - Pricey wouldn't have let a simple leg injury rule him out. :sarcasm:

Kiwi

First Grade
I say Clyde personally. It's hard to compare because there are so many factors to take into acount.

OVP

Coach
Eelementary said:
I will say this, though - Pricey wouldn't have let a simple leg injury rule him out. :sarcasm:

Damn Straight. Same with Raper and Coote.

Clyde was better than BK. No doubt about it but BK's standing in the game will rise in a few years like most sporstmen.

Raper is undoubtedly the best of all-time given his status as an Immortal.

effnic

Bench
scottyj said:

Lol bro let it go hes a f**king parra fan as if your gonna take anything he says about manly seriously.

Noa

First Grade
Bradley Clyde was an absolute phenom. I dont think we appreciate how good he was before his body started to breakdown. Had everything you could want in a backrower speed, endurance, ball playing skills, great defence even had a nice kicking game when called upon.

He was a top 5 player at 19 years of age.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
If Nik Kosef hadn't had four knee reconstructions, then we would be talking about him as a great great lock.

tbone10

Juniors
definitely surprised no one has mentioned Mal Reilly. I think alot on here would be too young for him though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Raper, Coote and Price are all ahead any lock of this generation. Raw stats tells us Frank Burge was the most prolific try scorer when compared to any other forward, and is arguably the best attacking lock of all. An astute captain and coach as well.