What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BK - The best lock of all time?

_Johnsy

Referee
I can think of 3 modern locks ahead of BK

Price, Lindner, Clyde.

BK is a great lock but IMO the three above are better, plus there are numerous other great locks i did not see play.

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
BK is good but not close to the player that Clyde was in his prime. Kennedy has had a significant impact on one post-season > Knights 01'. Apart from that where's he been in September? And it's not like he hasn't had enough cattle around him. Maybe if he leads the Eagles to a title this year the comparison could be made without me LMAO...but, IMHO he'd still have to do something pretty special in the remaining 2 or 3 years of his career to come close to Clyde all-time.

Evergreen

Juniors
Raiders Plight said:
BK is fantastic, but Clyde is still the benchmark for modern locks, 2 clive churchill medals don't lie.

The second one in a losing side no less....;-)

Prodigiousman's post should've signalled case closed for this thread methinks.....:D

c_eagle

Juniors
Pensacola Q.C said:
BK is good but not close to the player that Clyde was in his prime. Kennedy has had a significant impact on one post-season > Knights 01'. Apart from that where's he been in September? And it's not like he hasn't had enough cattle around him. Maybe if he leads the Eagles to a title this year the comparison could be made without me LMAO...but, IMHO he'd still have to do something pretty special in the remaining 2 or 3 years of his career to come close to Clyde all-time.
He's retiring at the end of this year.

I think this argument is fairly redundant because the entire process just reeks of bias. BK is the best player I've ever seen in Maroon and White, the transformation from second last to top 4 in 2 years is almost single handedly his influence.

How does this translate in 'ranking' purposes? I don't really know, I just know that there is no other player I'd rather have playing for my club.

Moffo

Referee
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
Bradley Clyde
Ron Coote
Johnny Raper
Mal Reilly
Brad Mackay
Ray Price
Hugh McGahan
Ron Reddy
Mark Graham
Paul Langmack
Wayne Pearce
Frank Burge
Bob Lindner
Andy Norval
Ellery Hanley
Steve Menzies
Ben Kennedy

As for Andy Norval, he must have been good if he could push Ron Coote from lock to backrow in the Roosters best-ever team named.

i hope you're taking the piss as you should be put down if your not

As i said, i thought most would disagree. Sad thing is that 95% of us don't appreciate a player fully until they retire.

Some posters have got a bad dose of the 'in my day' syndrome here

Agent Mulder

Bench
Moffo said:
There are many contenders and although I hate to line up different generations, i think BK would cover anyone on his day. It is so unfortunate that injuries have cruelled his career (to a degree), as this guy for mine is the best forward going around today and I doubt there has been a better player in the past

Perhaps one day the wider league community will appreciate this

C'mon old mate, Are you for real?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Clyde won the Clive Churchill in 1991 playing on a losing side. Not many players can say that. He was my favourite player growing up so I'm super biased but there's no denying how unique he was.

Disco

Bench
Moffo said:
i hope you're taking the piss as you should be put down if your not

As i said, i thought most would disagree. Sad thing is that 95% of us don't appreciate a player fully until they retire.

Some posters have got a bad dose of the 'in my day' syndrome here
Exactly give it 5 years

CliffyIsGod said:
If Nik Kosef hadn't had four knee reconstructions, then we would be talking about him as a great great lock.

i rated kosef, was probably the best lock in the comp in 96,97, but injuries stopped him from being a really great player

brad clyde's best days were definately in 94, out of the players ive seen in my spectating life, he would be in my immortals team (out of the players ive seen)

CrazyEel

Bench
All I can say is that anyone who actually saw John Raper in his prime would never pose such a suggestion.