What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Panther - Best superhero film of all time.

shiznit

Coach
Do you think Black Panther was better than Infinity War?
Yup.

It was daaaamn close though...

But I think BP had certain themes in it that resonated well outside a normal super hero film.

IW did too mind you... but i think BP resonated with me personally more than IW.

I think the vilians motivations in both movies were interesting and thought provoking.

Last Week

Bench
Yup.

It was daaaamn close though...

But I think BP had certain themes in it that resonated well outside a normal super hero film.

IW did too mind you... but i think BP resonated with me personally more than IW.

I think the vilians motivations in both movies were interesting and thought provoking.

Which themes do you mean and how did you relate to them?

shiznit

Coach
Which themes do you mean and how did you relate to them?
Colonisation... the effect that colonisation had on Africa.

The fact wakanda stood in the shadows and watched the terrible plight of African people around the world and didn’t intervene.

Now you have this kid raised in the ‘ghetto’ in Kilmonger and his cousin T’Challa raised in Wakanda and you see the difference between the two...

It resonated with me as a person from an indigenous culture where colonisation has had serious effects on our people.

Obviously the story is completely fictional and based in Africa.

But some of the questions it posed are similar to what we have in our culture... I was lucky that I was brought up in my culture learning where I belong... but we have lots and lots of people living in the urban areas in low socioeconomic situations struggling who while they are Maori like myself they don’t know much about their culture or where they come from.

Now the conflict currently to a lot of us who are more well off than they are is do we do more to help them... they are our people really... but a lot of my family are of the thought that they left us decades ago so let them be...

So it’s a theme that pulls really strong for a lot of us l...

Last Week

Bench

The fact wakanda stood in the shadows and watched the terrible plight of African people around the world and didn’t intervene.

Now you have this kid raised in the ‘ghetto’ in Kilmonger and his cousin T’Challa raised in Wakanda and you see the difference between the two...

It resonated with me as a person from an indigenous culture where colonisation has had serious effects on our people.

But some of the questions it posed are similar to what we have in our culture... I was lucky that I was brought up in my culture learning where I belong... but we have lots and lots of people living in the urban areas in low socioeconomic situations struggling who while they are Maori like myself they don’t know much about their culture or where they come from.

Now the conflict currently to a lot of us who are more well off than they are is do we do more to help them... they are our people really... but a lot of my family are of the thought that they left us decades ago so let them be...

Mate, do you think it's possible that because you relate to the concept of the story so much, that your view is somewhat bias?

Valheru

Coach

BP isn't about colonisation any more than IW is about over population and resource depletion. Both give those issues as motivation for the villains which I will grant you is interesting, however neither film is actually about those concepts. BP didn't explore the effects of colonisation in any detail and nor should it, it is a superhero film.

BP is a stock standard introductory/background film to a superhero character with a mildly interesting villain. IMO it is average at best but appreciate people disagree. Regardless, it has done nothing that the genre hasn't done before other than the cast itself.

adamkungl

Immortal
Basically every worthwhile fantasy novel/movie/comic ever uses heroes and villains to explore real world issues. This isn't new or innovative, and some do it better than others.
What is somewhat new/still developing, at least at this level of mainstream, is these kind of stories getting into issues that aren't typically 'white' problems.

Which might be why BP resonates with a wider audience and is being seen as maybe deeper than it really is.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mate, do you think it's possible that because you relate to the concept of the story so much, that your view is somewhat bias?

Every view about a movie or work of art is biased.
An "objective" view of a film would be merely discussing the camera resolution and audio quality. Technicalities.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I agree it wouldn’t have made as money in the past. It wasn’t even the first black superhero as was championed by so many people. Movies like Spawn, Blade etc were out well over a decade ago.
How dare you forget Meteor Man!

Screenshot_20190125-111859.jpg

And then of course there's Bill Cosby.

He rapes, but he saves more than he rapes.

shiznit

Coach
BP isn't about colonisation any more than IW is about over population and resource depletion. Both give those issues as motivation for the villains which I will grant you is interesting, however neither film is actually about those concepts. BP didn't explore the effects of colonisation in any detail and nor should it, it is a superhero film.

BP is a stock standard introductory/background film to a superhero character with a mildly interesting villain. IMO it is average at best but appreciate people disagree. Regardless, it has done nothing that the genre hasn't done before other than the cast itself.

I guess the millions upon millions who watched it and the legions of film critics who gave it positive reviews disagree with you....

And obviously the academy...

The issue I have with people saying that there’s some sort of ‘agenda’ behind it.... they are actually saying that people(like myself and clearly the academy) cannot enjoy and celebrate this film because YOU don’t agree that it was a good film.

there have been plenty of films which have won best film which i have hated...

I didn’t think it was part of some ‘agenda’ though...

Valheru

Coach
I guess the millions upon millions who watched it and the legions of film critics who gave it positive reviews disagree with you....

And obviously the academy...

The issue I have with people saying that there’s some sort of ‘agenda’ behind it.... they are actually saying that people(like myself and clearly the academy) cannot enjoy and celebrate this film because YOU don’t agree that it was a good film.

there have been plenty of films which have won best film which i have hated...

I didn’t think it was part of some ‘agenda’ though...

And the critics that panned it and were censored?

Anyways, not everything is going to be everyone's cup of tea, obviously, and I am by no means saying I am the authority on what makes a good film. The point is, as someone else pointed out, BP is easily compared to a myriad of other superhero films, none of which have been nominated for the award. BP brings nothing new or innovative to the genre. Yeah, it has a villain with a bit of depth (something that has been done many times before) but other than that it is a stock standard character introductory film where good battles evil, evil wins the first confrontation and good comes back and wins at the end.

Literally the ONLY point of difference is the cast.

shiznit

Coach
And the critics that panned it and were censored?

Anyways, not everything is going to be everyone's cup of tea, obviously, and I am by no means saying I am the authority on what makes a good film. The point is, as someone else pointed out, BP is easily compared to a myriad of other superhero films, none of which have been nominated for the award. BP brings nothing new or innovative to the genre. Yeah, it has a villain with a bit of depth (something that has been done many times before) but other than that it is a stock standard character introductory film where good battles evil, evil wins the first confrontation and good comes back and wins at the end.

Literally the ONLY point of difference is the cast.
Critics were censored?? :joy::joy:

Sure mate... :joy::joy:

So basically the crux of your entire argument is that because in your opinion other superhero films were better than this film...

this film only got it it’s extremely positive reaction by critics and record breaking world wide box office for a super hero film because of some conspiracy...

I think it’s probably more plausible that the academy nominated it because they enjoyed the film.

Valheru

Coach

So basically the crux of your entire argument is that because in your opinion other superhero films were better than this film...

this film only got it it’s extremely positive reaction by critics and record breaking world wide box office for a super hero film because of some conspiracy...

I think it’s probably more plausible that the academy nominated it because they enjoyed the film.

No

There were negative reviews removed from rotten tomatoes as an example.

I said multiple times not everything will be everyone's cup of tea so you will have to move on from the "my opinion" thing.

It is about comparing this movie with all the all the other super hero movies over the years some of which were also critically aclaimed and were major box office succeses. The movie introduced nothing new to the genre and was a stock standard entry in the genre. Do you refute that?

Not sure how you have concluded i think there is a conspiracy. People can watch and enjoy what they want. What i am saying is that there is an agenda in nominating this film. To see that agenda and how it benefits the academy to nominate the film all you have to do is look at the ridiculous commentary the last 2 years around the awards from the likes of will smith.

Game_Breaker

Coach

But you don’t need to relate to the concept to appreciate it

Exploring themes like that make a movie have different layers instead of the average “save the planet” storyline

Critical reviews were censored at one point on RT.

Latest posts