What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Panther - Best superhero film of all time.

bileduct

Coach
No, I disagree for the reasons I mentioned. To be worthy of a best picture nomination it should be winning, or at least nominated for awards in the major categories of Director, actor lead and/or support, actress lead and/or support, screenplay.

You mention A Star is Born, which was nominated for Actor, Actress and Screenplay.
This view does seem consistent with the best picture winners from at least the last 15 years. All of them had nominations either for best director, best screenplay, best actor/actress, best supporting actor/actress and in some cases all of the above.

Game_Breaker

Coach
While I do think it was a token nomination, the movie wasn't bad

Why the sudden hate for the movie? I can differentiate between the quality of the movie and the nomination of the movie

shiznit

Coach
I couldn’t care less if every single nominee is black. Was ‘Get Out’ nominated (genuinely asking, I don’t know) as that would have been deserved.

The issue is you aren’t allowed to cristize this movie without getting called ‘racist!’ It had a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes 6 months before it was even released FFS. Then when people started giving it bad reviews they were removed!

Sadly Hollywood these days is more about appeasing the supposed morale compass as opposed to actual good movies. That’s why there’s a different SUperHero movie out every week. They aren’t risky.
I’m pretty confident based on the box office and the score from the top critics that the movie was extremely well received.

I do find it funny that you say that when the reality of the situation is it wasn’t that long ago that studios would never have made a film like BP because black films don’t make as much money internationally.

The box office for this film alone has shown that to be a fallacy spread by old white men who wanted keep the industry white.

Now the same line of thinking is coming back to the fore with this ‘agenda’ crap...

Where was the ‘agenda’ talk when Chicago f**king won over the Pianist??

BP isn’t anywhere near the worst film ever to be nominated for best picture... so why is it that there’s talk of an ‘agenda’??

Ohhhh that’s right because a film with nearly an entire black cast and a young black director telling a black story could never get a nomination on merit... :rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I’m pretty confident based on the box office and the score from the top critics that the movie was extremely well received.

I do find it funny that you say that when the reality of the situation is it wasn’t that long ago that studios would never have made a film like BP because black films don’t make as much money internationally.

The box office for this film alone has shown that to be a fallacy spread by old white men who wanted keep the industry white.

Now the same line of thinking is coming back to the fore with this ‘agenda’ crap...

BP isn’t anywhere near the worst film ever to be nominated for best picture... so why is it that there’s talk of an ‘agenda’??

Ohhhh that’s right because a film with nearly an entire black cast and a young black director telling a black story could never get a nomination on merit... :rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

I agree it wouldn’t have made as money in the past. It wasn’t even the first black superhero as was championed by so many people. Movies like Spawn, Blade etc were out well over a decade ago.

‘Telling a black story’ ?! Mate it’s a bloody made up superhero movie!!

Then you had an actual real life black hero Anthony Sadler play himself in The 15:17 To Paris barely even get a mention.

The main reason is that movies are generally rateable on a case by case basis. Every one has different tastes so whilst I might hate ‘The Shape of Water’ everyone else loves it. The difference is this movie is directly comparable to the tons of other superhero movies that have been made over the last couple of years.

The ‘Tokenism’ it whatever you want to call is exactly like I said. It was rated 100% on rotten tomatoes months before it was released. Then people started going on, writing bad reviews and they were taken down yet the good ones left up. No one had seen the f*#king movie!!

Tommy Smith

Referee
Can I really like the movie AND think that the agenda is pretty blatant?

Whilst not my choice as the best MCU movie it's right in the upper echelon.

But then, the fact that no other MCU movie has been nominated before - including the likes of Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Avengers - I mean, c'mon... the whole "diversity!" & "we'll nominate BP just so twitter doesn't accuse us of being racist" angle seems pretty obvious to me.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The Dark Knight as well.
Yeah The Dark Knight is the GoaT of Superhero movies imo and I can say that without thinking too hard. It's an amazing movie on so many levels. The whole trilogy was awesome.

Though actually I should add that many of the X Men movies were awesome. Days of Future Past was absolutely brilliant and a step above Black Panther.

And then of course there's Daredevil with Ben Affleck. Amazing :D

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Why the sudden hate for the movie? I can differentiate between the quality of the movie and the nomination of the movie
Who hates it besides Bileduct???

I did enjoy the movie but have hated everything that has come with it since.

bileduct

Coach
You've convinced me. Black Panther deserves its Best Picture nomination, just as Star Wars: The Force Awakens deserved its Best Picture nomination as well.

Yeah The Dark Knight is the GoaT of Superhero movies imo and I can say that without thinking too hard. It's an amazing movie on so many levels. The whole trilogy was awesome.

Though actually I should add that many of the X Men movies were awesome. Days of Future Past was absolutely brilliant and a step above Black Panther.

And then of course there's Daredevil with Ben Affleck. Amazing :D
Tommy if you weren't a Pom and a Chooks fan I'd totally ask you out

T-Boon

Coach
Did the movie The First Man get nominated.
That was the only movie I saw at the cinema this past year and whilst I don't really like Gosling (notwithstanding soft spot for him since Remember the Titans). It was a fine movie and I thought Gosling was pretty good as Armstrong.

Last Week

Bench

Do you think Black Panther was better than Infinity War?

The political hi-jacking (though I’m not certain that’s the right word) of the film is bound to turn some people off, perhaps leading to them under-rating it in response.

I myself haven’t seen it & don’t intend to (I really do not care for all this MCU/DCU stuff), but I can understand people getting fed up when they hear people talking about stuff like, “I’m white, is it disrespectful to see this movie in a theatre & deprive a black person of a seat?” & other inane idiocy, taking out their frustration on the movie as a result.