What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Panther - Best superhero film of all time.

Last Week

Bench
Why the big turnaround?

I'm not sure exactly. I hated the quips every 5 minutes, especially when something serious happened. Like Asgard being literally destroyed, and it's time for a joke... f**k.

But now, those poorly timed quips still bother me, but it's just a refreshingly fun movie.

I'm not sure exactly. I hated the quips every 5 minutes, especially when something serious happened. Like Asgard being literally destroyed, and it's time for a joke... f**k.

But now, those poorly timed quips still bother me, but it's just a refreshingly fun movie.

My wife took me to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 & I was skeptical going in, as I didn’t see the first one due to lack of interest. I was surprised & taken aback by some of the depth of writing, in both character development & the occasional monologue...until every serious moment was undercut with a joke. I mean, Every. Single. One. It robbed the movie of potential gravitas, & frustrated me.

Then when we saw Ragnarok, I realised what a complete cut-&-paste job it was of Guardians 2. People seem to really respond to it, so I guess they’re just playing to their audience, but as you say, every drop of meaning or weight was stripped for a gag. I couldn’t help but see it as a studio paint-by-numbers job.

shiznit

Coach
My wife took me to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 & I was skeptical going in, as I didn’t see the first one due to lack of interest. I was surprised & taken aback by some of the depth of writing, in both character development & the occasional monologue...until every serious moment was undercut with a joke. I mean, Every. Single. One. It robbed the movie of potential gravitas, & frustrated me.

Then when we saw Ragnarok, I realised what a complete cut-&-paste job it was of Guardians 2. People seem to really respond to it, so I guess they’re just playing to their audience, but as you say, every drop of meaning or weight was stripped for a gag. I couldn’t help but see it as a studio paint-by-numbers job.

I can kinda see some of what your saying...

Ragnarok was really Taika on screen... that’s his style.

And Marvel gave Taika the reigns knowing this is the type of film he would produce... so after Guardians they may have want to push further in the comedic direction.

But Taika’s style itself is anything but paint by numbers... he has an off beat quirky type of humour and quite often brings a lot out of characters.

He also normally does very well with critics..

I liked Ragnarok... although it wasn’t Taika’s best... I think aspects of played away from his normal strengths...

I think he normally has strong character driven films which often build on relationships and have a good heart... but Ragnarok chased a few too many cheap laughs at the expense of some of the characters... Loki being pretty much a walking punch line being one of them.

I can kinda see some of what your saying...

Ragnarok was really Taika on screen... that’s his style.

And Marvel gave Taika the reigns knowing this is the type of film he would produce... so after Guardians they may have want to push further in the comedic direction.

But Taika’s style itself is anything but paint by numbers... he has an off beat quirky type of humour and quite often brings a lot out of characters.

He also normally does very well with critics..

I liked Ragnarok... although it wasn’t Taika’s best... I think aspects of played away from his normal strengths...

I think he normally has strong character driven films which often build on relationships and have a good heart... but Ragnarok chased a few too many cheap laughs at the expense of some of the characters... Loki being pretty much a walking punch line being one of them.

I haven’t seen any of his other movies, so I can’t claim to be any kind of expert on him, but in any movie that big, the studio will almost certainly be calling the shots, not the director. The similarity to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in that specific regard was unmistakably a studio influence. Maybe they chose this guy because he’s good at what they wanted, but watching the films back-to-back, it’s apparent these are a studio movie first, director’s second.

What are his other movies, out of interest?

Last Week

Bench
I haven’t seen any of his other movies, so I can’t claim to be any kind of expert on him, but in any movie that big, the studio will almost certainly be calling the shots, not the director. The similarity to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in that specific regard was unmistakably a studio influence. Maybe they chose this guy because he’s good at what they wanted, but watching the films back-to-back, it’s apparent these are a studio movie first, director’s second.

I don't think there was a great deal of studio interference with Ragnarok.

He was probably told what he could and couldn't do, but that's understandable considering it was the last one before Infinity War. And it set it up well.

It even had a retro feel about it, which was perfect leading into Thor meeting the Guardians.

shiznit

Coach

What are his other movies, out of interest?
Boy, What we do in the shadows & Hunt for the wilderpeople are the main ones...

It seems like most people like what we do in the shadows... but my favourite was hunt for the wilderpeople...

shiznit

Coach
I don't think there was a great deal of studio interference with Ragnarok.

He was probably told what he could and couldn't do, but that's understandable considering it was the last one before Infinity War. And it set it up well.

It even had a retro feel about it, which was perfect leading into Thor meeting the Guardians.
That retro style was abit of a nod to Jack Kirby I think...

Xcalibre

Juniors
Every time I hear about how good BP is, or about an award/nomination is has received I feel like I’ve taken crazy pills.

It’s non-sensical how this praise could simply be because of the black factor. Are people really that obvious in this day and age?

No one with a scintilla of honesty or taste in film could truly believe BP was a good film. I don’t turn off movies very often but I did with this. It was so lacking in compelling story and performances. I was utterly bored by most of what I watched.

I shouldn’t be so annoyed by it though. There’s usually at least one movie a year like this. I’ve thought many of previous Academy Award winners for best film were shite. A lot of them don’t have obvious other reasons for winning though.

Zoidberg

First Grade
While I didn’t think it was a bad movie (I’ve only seen it once in the theatre) the praise it’s gotten boggles me. In my opinion Infinty War is by far a superior movie, and I’d put another 6 or 7 MCU films above it too.

Matua

Bench
What a weird thread. BP wasn't the best Marvel film out last year (neither was Avengers for me, Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse was class), but the best movie nominees weren't the best films out this year either, and often aren't most years. And The Shape of Water was far from the best film last year. They do their thing and it's often different from what a bunch of the masses think.

If there was really an agenda then at least one of The Hate You Give, Sorry to Bother You and If Beale Street Could Talk would have been nominated and Regina Hall and Blackkklansman would have won.

The Academy is a US based organisation and Black Panther was huge cultural and box office thing in the US, it's unsurprising that it is the comic book film nominated (and the director has a good reputation and pedigree as well).

mackdadday

Juniors
I gave this a tumble as it was nominated for best film and what a struggle it was to get through. For the life of me i can not fathom why it was nominated or even gets praised at all.

Thing is look at the awards it won -

• Best Production Design;
  • Best Costume Design; and
  • Best Original Score.
The awards it won were for basically set design, costumes and the underlying music themes. Heck the original Star Wars movie won 6 academy awards.

mj2017

Juniors
Watched it several times. Love the character of Michonne, especially the one with the wig scene.

Latest posts