What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacklock

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lowey3 said:
Care to explain why he has so little Australian caps ?
Well that's torn it for me.

Read carefully...
The fact that he has played for Australia is proof that he is a winger of the highest class. It can't be used in some lame attempt to prove the opposite. Work out the reasoning if you can.

FMD. The bloke gets selected to play for his country and its still not good enough for the Blacklock knockers.

And to further the education, countless fine players have missed out on national selection - many of which would probably walk into a GB side.

Blacklock, like any player, had to compete for selection. And he got there... so up yours meathead.
Lowey3 said:
Quite frankly because he has always been sh*te in many aspects og he's game e.g. catching the high ball, kick returns, tackling and positional play in defence.
Always? Such ignorance.
I've lost count of the amount of tries that Tingha has saved the day with his intercepts, cover defence, holding up or raking the ball over the line. He'll often be stranded facing two or three attackers but I never wrote him off.

If he has gone down a peg or two in the old dart, I would suggest you talk to your coach and and look at the ESL ladder. Perhaps a few of the Hull forwards aren't doing their job.

Sounds like Hull are sh*te and Blacklock has landed himself in a sh*te team this year. Shame, because from what I saw last year, when Hull won the Challenge Cup, everyone seemed pretty happy with Tingha. He had no such fair weather friends at St George.
Lowey3 said:
Fair enough he was a good support player but please, less of the crap!
I agree, you should stop posting crap.

lol @ 'a good support player'.
Nathan Blacklock
1997-2004, 137 games. 120t, 14g (508pts).
The Competition's top try scorer: 1999, 2000, 2001.
Club's top try scorer (first grade): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003.
Club's top point scorer (first grade): 2000.
The only player in NSWRL/ARL/NRL history to have scored 20 tries or more for four seasons running.

And this: http://www.showroom.com.au/video/010603blacklock02.mpg

Not too bad for someone who is merely 'a good support player'. :lol:

Deacon

First Grade
Saint Dragon said:
Best is yet to score one try this season and hasn't made any big contribution at all. And I would say roughly 65-75% of defencive errors that are made on the right hand side of the dragon's defence is caused by Best.

Obviously u didnt watch the Souths game then

God-King Dean

Immortal
Saint Dragon said:
Best is yet to score one try this season and hasn't made any big contribution at all. And I would say roughly 65-75% of defencive errors that are made on the right hand side of the dragon's defence is caused by Best.

He scored a try against Souths. & you obviously didn't watch the Broncos where his runs from dummy half gained 10 metres & everytime & put them on the backfoot.

G

gorilla

Willow said:
Nathan Blacklock
1997-2004, 137 games. 120t, 14g (508pts).
The Competition's top try scorer: 1999, 2000, 2001.
Club's top try scorer (first grade): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003.
Club's top point scorer (first grade): 2000.
The only player in NSWRL/ARL/NRL history to have scored 20 tries or more for four seasons running.

Willow, howya !

Is it not correct that Tingha would have had four seasons as top try scorer in NRL but due to some reason like inujry (?) he missed out (was it 1998 he had to play reggies?)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Lowey3

Please see above post by Willow for my answers.

Willow, I take my hat off for you *Bows*.

drake

First Grade
Blacklock will always be one of my favourite Dragons. I was sad when he left (both times) and sad to see him doing badly and unappreciated in Hull.

We still love ya Tingha!

I saw a bit of the Hull match on the weekend, and I've got to say Tingha did have a shocker, especially one time when "chasing" a kick lazily and getting smashed in the in-goal. Its the first time I've seen him play since the Tahs and the thing that struck me is that he looks like he's been in the weights room - a lot bigger than previous.

On Reece, I too reckon he's a great winger and to echo Willow's comments the thing he lacks is size - he's a very smart player especially out of dummy half and fielding kicks, be it long range or grubbers. But 3 into 2 won't go, and when Wes gets back I dare say Reece will be back in premmies. He's first grade material but in a fit Dragons side *cough cough* it wont be with us.

Saint Dragon said:

Dude, he has been one if the best players on the paddock this year, if not for his dummy-half runs alone. Yeah he made a clanger trying to catch a bomb on Saturday night, but in previous games he's gotten us out of our danger zone with great dummy-half groundmakers.

You don't need to score tries just to make a contribution.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
gorilla said:
Willow, howya !

Is it not correct that Tingha would have had four seasons as top try scorer in NRL but due to some reason like inujry (?) he missed out (was it 1998 he had to play reggies?)
Howya Goz!

In 1997 he only played one game off the bench.

In 1998 he played 22 games (out of 25). Can't recall why he missed three games.

And he was the second highest try scorer in 1998, he only missed out narrowly. Can't recall who was the top try scorer that year, does anyone know who and how many?

If he played those few games and got the tries, he would have made it four years running and one better than Benny Wearing's record (and some other bloke who I forgotten the name of) - instead he equaled it.

Godz Illa

Coach
Willow said:
In 1998 he played 22 games (out of 25). Can't recall why he missed three games.

And he was the second highest try scorer in 1998, he only missed out narrowly. Can't recall who was the top try scorer that year, does anyone know who and how many?

If he played those few games and got the tries, he would have made it four years running and one better than Benny Wearing's record (and some other bloke who I forgotten the name of) - instead he equaled it.
He started 98 in reserve grade (3rd pick winger behind Brunker and.... someone else), but after 3 rounds through sheer volume of tries had virtually forced Waitey to pick him in the top grade. He never looked back.

From memory Brisbane's Darren Smith was the NRL top tryscorer that year btw.

pmarrow

Juniors
Quick update.

Since his shocker of a performance against St Helens the other week he was dropped with immediate effect and has spent the last two weeks playing under 21s football. Last week he scored a hat trick in the under 21s game and has now found himself recalled to the squad to face Huddersfield this Friday.

Rumours doing the rounds is that he wanted to be released and the club said no so he basically had a bit of a paddy. The other rumour is that he's going to be released before the end of the season, so its basically down to Blacklock himself to show us what he's capable of over the next couple of games.

I understand his track record and know what he is capable of, however I don't care nobody plays for my club like he did and expects to go by unnoticed. Hull fans are some of the most passionate in the game and when a player plays bad we'll let him know. In all fairness to him though he hasn't had the service as he would at St George but his lack of passion is clearly an issue.

Heres hoping my next update is praising him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gotta love the role of the rumour mill in forming opinions.
pmarrow said:
The other rumour is that he's going to be released before the end of the season
He signed a two-year deal for 2005-2006. Isn't his contract up this year? And didnt he announce at the beginning of the year that he was retiring at the end of 2006? Seems like the 'going to be released' rumour has a couple a holes in it.
pmarrow said:
Well given the yo-yo fairweatherness of some fans I'm sure you'll be singing his praises next week.

Father Ted

First Grade
pmarrow said:
Quick update.

Since his shocker of a performance against St Helens the other week he was dropped with immediate effect and has spent the last two weeks playing under 21s football. Last week he scored a hat trick in the under 21s game and has now found himself recalled to the squad to face Huddersfield this Friday.

Rumours doing the rounds is that he wanted to be released and the club said no so he basically had a bit of a paddy. The other rumour is that he's going to be released before the end of the season, so its basically down to Blacklock himself to show us what he's capable of over the next couple of games.

I understand his track record and know what he is capable of, however I don't care nobody plays for my club like he did and expects to go by unnoticed. Hull fans are some of the most passionate in the game and when a player plays bad we'll let him know. In all fairness to him though he hasn't had the service as he would at St George but his lack of passion is clearly an issue.

I know ! Why don't you send him to a penal colony , that'll teach him ..

pmarrow

Juniors
Willow said:
Gotta love the role of the rumour mill in forming opinions.He signed a two-year deal for 2005-2006. Isn't his contract up this year? And didnt he announce at the beginning of the year that he was retiring at the end of 2006? Seems like the 'going to be released' rumour has a couple a holes in it.
Not really, if he was to be released it would free up a 20/20 place and a quota spot, meaning we could bring somebody else in if could.
Willow said:
Well given the yo-yo fairweatherness of some fans I'm sure you'll be singing his praises next week.

If its anything like his last performance it won't be. I've been one of Blacklocks biggest fans for years (before he signed for us) and I know his ability and he has the try scoring record to prove this. The fact is no matter how you try to defend him not even the most blinkered fan would defend his performances recentley. Nobody is doubting his ability in Hull we're just concerned were paying a lot of money to see a player who we consider to be one of our stars just trotting around the pitch not caring. He has no passion for the club at the moment and you can't blame fans for getting on his back.

I more then anyone hope he sorts out his problems because at the moment we're paying him loads for him to just not care.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
pmarrow said:
Not really, if he was to be released it would free up a 20/20 place and a quota spot, meaning we could bring somebody else in if could.
His contract ends this year and he has already declared he will retire. Is that correct?
If so, how can he be released if he is already leaving?

pmarrow

Juniors
Willow said:
His contract ends this year and he has already declared he will retire. Is that correct?
If so, how can he be released if he is already leaving?

Yes that is correct, I think theres talks of an early release for him. Its something which is wanted by Blacklock as he wants to return home, something to do with his son ???

Judging by his performances in 2006 so far I think the board are willing to grant an early release.

However again this is only rumours, for all we know Blacklock could love it here (saying that I would, getting a couple of 1000 a week to play for the under 21's).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry I should learn to read. So the rumour has him being released early.

Yes he does have a son who he no doubts misses. And he's very close to all his relatives in Tingha, his home town in country NSW.

At St George it wasn't a big deal because he was only about 90 minutes away by air. And he could always just hop in a car and drive for 8 hours to get home. I'm not talking for Nathan Blacklock but I know distance generally makes a difference to the mindset.

pmarrow

Juniors
Great response from Blacklock this week.

Scored two tries and dealt with everything he had to. Looked very dangerous when working with his centre partner and definetley looked like he had more passion.

Was probably one of our best players on the pitch.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
btw pmarrow. thanks for the updates.
Positive or negative, its great to get the news and keep in touch with how Tingha is travelling. :thumn

gregstar

Referee
sh_1999_blacklock02.jpg
:cry: :kiss: :( :(