What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Austin is a better 5/8 than Anthony Milford & Mitchell Moses

gUt

Coach
I think he'll bulk up over time into an effective backrower in the Guerra mold perhaps. But until then it seems to me he was the perfect complement to Brooks.

blaza88z

Coach
Austin is going well at the moment but if you've followed his career you'd know that hasn't always been the case

POPEYE

Coach
Austin is going well at the moment but if you've followed his career you'd know that hasn't always been the case

I think everyone here is commenting on the Austin that has evolved . . . you should set your alarm

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Austin is an average first grader. I can't believe the hype he gets.

Lol which hype? Baring this thread there is barely any mention of Austin or even the Raiders.

Mitchell Moses:

2 runs a game for an average of 14 metres per game
3 try assists in 8 games
0 line breaks
0 tries
139 from 168 tackles successful

Luke Brooks:
4 runs a game for an average of 41 metres per game
6 try assists in 8 games
0.3 line breaks average
5 tries.
94 from 134 tackles successful

Blake Austin:
6 runs a game for an average of 65 metres per game
3 try assists in 7 games
0.7 line breaks per game
3 tries
131 from 154 tackles successful

Anthony Milford: (stats not updated from last night)
10 runs for an average of 83 metres
0 try assists
2 tries
0.1 line breaks per game.
79 from 84 tackles successful

Kiwi

First Grade
Lol which hype? Baring this thread there is barely any mention of Austin or even the Raiders.

Mitchell Moses:

3 try assists in 8 games
0 line breaks
0 tries

Luke Brooks:
6 try assists in 8 games
0.3 line breaks average
5 tries.

Blake Austin:
3 try assists in 7 games
0.7 line breaks per game
3 tries

0 try assists
2 tries
Why throw Brooks in there? Might as well add Hunt and Williams

Ladmate

Bench

Mitchell Moses:

3 try assists in 8 games
0 line breaks
0 tries

Luke Brooks:
6 try assists in 8 games
0.3 line breaks average
5 tries.

Blake Austin:
3 try assists in 7 games
0.7 line breaks per game
3 tries

0 try assists
2 tries

Comparing him to struggling players is not helping your case.

No one is doubting Austin as a ball runner, it's the other elements of a half he's lacking in.

Kiwi

First Grade

Mitchell Moses:

3 try assists in 8 games
0 line breaks
0 tries

Luke Brooks:
6 try assists in 8 games
0.3 line breaks average
5 tries.

Blake Austin:
3 try assists in 7 games
0.7 line breaks per game
3 tries

12 runs for an average of 115 metres
0 try assists
4 tries
87 from 98 tackles successful

Here you go

Ben Hunt
9 runs for an average of 63
Try assists
3 Tries
0.4 line breaks per game
145 from 172 tackles successful

Sam Williams
4 runs for an average of 30
try assists
0 tries
0 line breaks
47 tackles made out of 53

couldn't find the try assist stats.

So using those three teams halves, Milford suddenly doesn't look to bad, Hunt, Brooks and maybe Austin playing better than him at the moment, so meh people can have a dig at Milford all they want, Broncos sit in first place, and the apparently slow Milford had a pretty decent game last night, anyone wanna ask Watmough and Reece Robinson what they think of Milford's lack of speed?

Kiwi

First Grade

No one is doubting Austin as a ball runner, it's the other elements of a half he's lacking in.
Austin is a good ball runner, Milford showed last night he is clearly the better ball runner, I know which of the two will improved their kicking and passing game, and it ain't Austin.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade

No, I disagree. It actually confirms what was being argued for several pages. At the present stage Austin is playing better then Moses and Milford. Regardless on whether there in a slump.

I included Brooks to show the difference between Brooks and Moses.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Austin is a good ball runner, Milford showed last night he is clearly the better ball runner, I know which of the two will improved their kicking and passing game, and it ain't Austin.

Lol.

Good call. Must be good having the ability to predict the future based on a single run.

Based on stats he is still behind nearly every other 6. That will likely change but remember how good Barba was as a ball runner. Some players just never get better.

Ladmate

Bench
No, I disagree. It actually confirms what was being argued for several pages. At the present stage Austin is playing better then Moses and Milford. Regardless on whether there in a slump.

I included Brooks to show the difference between Brooks and Moses.

He's playing better than two of the worst performing halves in the league? Like I said, I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement for Blake Austin. No one is arguing Moses or Milford are playing better this season than Austin, but that doesn't mean Blake Austin is a stud half or anything like that.

Kiwi

First Grade
Lol.

Good call. Must be good having the ability to predict the future based on a single run.

Based on stats he is still behind nearly every other 6. That will likely change but remember how good Barba was as a ball runner. Some players just never get better.

On a single run? Milford has shown since his debut that he one of the best ball runners in the game. He has been criticized every week based purely on the team he plays for, and that's fine, he is finding his feet in the 6, and it was always going to take time. Milford has shown some nice touches with some great passes and some good kicks at times, with time those will become more frequent and consistent. Not every player has Barba's crap attitude, two clubs got rid of him at a cost to each club, there has to be something going on there.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Milford did nothing last night that would give you the impression he's a good half. His first try was all Nikorima, all Milford had to do was catch and fall over the line. The second was Watmough waving him through the line, but it was a good run however. These are things he could have done from fullback.
The problem is he came up with 0 try assists and 0 linebreak assists. Considering he's playing in a side that is leading the comp, it's a bit of a worry.

Now given all that's been said in this thread, I predict Austin to have an absolute stinker today lol

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I provided stats for the purpose of this thread. If everyone agreed it wouldn't take 7 pages.

At what point can players be compared to one another? Honestly.

This is Widdop :
6 runs for 40 metres average
3 try assists
0 tries
82 from 99 tackles successful.
0 line breaks

By all accounts his been playing well enough and is quite senior in his position.

The point is that you could compare Austin to most 5/8s and he would compare quite well (statistically ) yet people seem to think he is out of position.

Others assume that Milford is better now or will be better, but that's based on what? His highlights playing at fullback?

Kiwi

First Grade
Milford did nothing last night that would give you the impression he's a good half. His first try was all Nikorima, all Milford had to do was catch and fall over the line. The second was Watmough waving him through the line, but it was a good run however. These are things he could have done from fullback.
The problem is he came up with 0 try assists and 0 linebreak assists. Considering he's playing in a side that is leading the comp, it's a bit of a worry.

Now given all that's been said in this thread, I predict Austin to have an absolute stinker today lol

I hope Austin has a blinder, when he signed with the Raiders I called it a good signing still do.

On Milford, I don't know why people feel the need to constantly lay the boot into the kid? He's 20 finding his feet in a new position, and since when have NRL stats been accurate? Milford double pumped, drew in defenders and put Glenn into a gap with a beauty of a short ball for a try against the Cowboys, but has zero line break assists? really? NRL stats show very little in the scheme of things really.