What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Green you done it again you fool

I also think it was a terrible decision that cost us a chance at the game.

However, I really enjoyed the game and think that even though we didn't get the two points we came out the other end better for it. As such, I'm not gonna be exceedingly harsh on him. He made a mistake, possibly cost us the game, but that's footy.

Utey

Coach
Nickeel said:
I'm still astounded that we kicked three penalty goals. Can anyone spell n-e-g-a-t-i-v-e? I thought I was at a Waratahs game ffs.

Seriously, an 8-point advantage makes sense, but after that? 10 points? What's the difference? Two tries with a guy like El Masri on the team and they are back in front anyway. And then to be four in front, get a penalty ten metres out right in front and kick another bloody goal.

Blake made a mistake, for sure - everyone in the ground knew what the play was with 8 or so minutes left - but it should never have been so close. We had them on the hook and let them go. A game we lost, not one the Dogs won IMO.

Nick

Yep I immediately thought back to Manly SCG 06'.

PJ looked comfortable playing for so long, I'd have him there for 80, and drop Blake personally. Blake isn't a hooker and playing 20 minutes per game doesn't add much to the side. Blake will get his shot eventually in the halves where he belongs.

But to make Blake the scapegoat? Please :roll:

Bigfella

Coach
I think scoring two points in the second half cost us the game, not failing to take the one.
In any case, the option we came up with was one of our better 5th tackle plays of the game.

I think jay jay may be on to something. Blake didn't play until very late in the piece and we didn't need him when he did come on. He should have come on earlier- PJ made about 4 errors in a 10 minute period. His kick to Patten on the full was a shocking option. I can sympathise with Suity's frustration that some of our most experienced guys seem to make some of our dumbest errors - Eric, PJ, Riddell, Tahu. and Ian have all made some doozies this year.

But our biggest problem is forward penetration. As long as we struggle to make the hard yards, people will be forced into making the miracle plays.

If Blake was going to come on as late as he did yesterday - we should have played an extra forward and given PJ 80.

I'm not even convinced the 1 point was going to be enough with 7 to go.

We only scored 2 in the second half and against the dogs that ain't enough.

Some say the Decision was negative, and that it was written that we should go for the Field Goal. Maybe you were all thinking that at the time, But I was looking at the Scoreboard and thinking 10 minutes out. Only a Try can put this one away.

Lets say we did go and get the Field Goal. What then, Does Hampstead still show some Shocking inconsistency and Penalise us anywhere in the Opposition 40. El Masri Slots the Goal and the Dogs win by 1. The Field Goal in the last 10 minutes in my opinion is the wrong option. Go for the 4 or 6 and get the ball back. Take El Masri and your Tiring defence out of the game. It was a good call, and if it wasn't for the Knock on, I think we would have scored.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jodeci said:
There were other crucial moments in the game.

Why isn't anyone blasting Ben for that stupid penalty that not only got the dogs out of their red zone but also got them field position and kicked the field goal.

off course there were, and I think you'll find that people are calling for Eric and Bens head to be on the chopping block, in fact last week everyone blamed Finchy ignored his good defensive effort and left Eric alone, who imo was just as bad.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
off course there were, and I think you'll find that people are calling for Eric and Bens head to be on the chopping block, in fact last week everyone blamed Finchy ignored his good defensive effort and left Eric alone, who imo was just as bad.

i believe there was a thread about eric last week as well ;-)

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Yes, Blake should've known better. BUT, he shouldn't have been placed in that position in the first place. He is NOT a dummy half (nor a lock, where I think he may have been playing for his first few minutes on the field), let alone a first grade dummy half against a fired up Bulldogs in a close match.

If Blake is being shot down that he should've known better, then I'm proposing using Hagan as a human shield (in this particular case), as he definitely should've known better. Green shouldn't be in the #14 in the first place. Start him in the halves and leave him there, or don't play him at all. Even having named him in the #14, Hagan could have used him better off the bench. Throwing him in earlier would've either made an impact for us, or at least left us with a fresher PJ to come on at the back end of the game with more experience. Even then, he could've been used better. Ie. given that he was thrown it at the stage he came into the match, he should've put Finch into dummy half (if he was named in the side due to his experience, then bloody well use it) and had Green in the #6 for variation.

carson

Juniors
Green did make a mistake and according to the post match interview cayless had told them to go for a field goal. These things happen and Blake will learn.

My question is why wasn't there a penalty for Grothe being tackled in mid air? Can't see how the bulldog winger was doing anything but waiting for grothe to catch the ball then tackle him. Why wasn't it a penalty? Mind you it is a rule that never gets enforced in tight situations!

forward pass

Coach
Finch was in postion to kick the FG but asked for one more hit up. That was when Cordoba played the ball incorrectly. Game set and Match !

I will say one thing about Finch. I still think he offers us a hell of a lot more than Morris ever did. Can anyone recall Morris setting up a try and scoring one in 4 seasons like Finch did? And tbh I think his defence is outstanding!

eel01s

Bench
eloquentEEL said:
Yes, Blake should've known better. BUT, he shouldn't have been placed in that position in the first place. He is NOT a dummy half (nor a lock, where I think he may have been playing for his first few minutes on the field), let alone a first grade dummy half against a fired up Bulldogs in a close match.

If Blake is being shot down that he should've known better, then I'm proposing using Hagan as a human shield (in this particular case), as he definitely should've known better. Green shouldn't be in the #14 in the first place. Start him in the halves and leave him there, or don't play him at all. Even having named him in the #14, Hagan could have used him better off the bench. Throwing him in earlier would've either made an impact for us, or at least left us with a fresher PJ to come on at the back end of the game with more experience. Even then, he could've been used better. Ie. given that he was thrown it at the stage he came into the match, he should've put Finch into dummy half (if he was named in the side due to his experience, then bloody well use it) and had Green in the #6 for variation.

I agree 100%. We need to stop playing guys out of position. However Blake should have known what was going on, especially as Cayless is reported to have told the team to take the shot at field goal.

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
Finch was in postion to kick the FG but asked for one more hit up. That was when Cordoba played the ball incorrectly. Game set and Match !

I will say one thing about Finch. I still think he offers us a hell of a lot more than Morris ever did. Can anyone recall Morris setting up a try and scoring one in 4 seasons like Finch did? And tbh I think his defence is outstanding!

consistancy in his all round game is the only thing we ask of him, hopefully that's not far away.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Tim Smith was trying to direct Fui to take the hit up but Green either didn't realise or tried to be the hero. If he was going to go short side the kick into the in goal would have been better.

forward pass

Coach
eelavation said:
consistancy in his all round game is the only thing we ask of him, hopefully that's not far away.

You wont get it!

Finch has ALWAYS been a very inconsistent player. He will follow a good game up with 4 bad ones. Why will that change now that he is with us??

That is the reason he has always been a much maligned player - because he is so inconsistent.

He is playing for us the EXACT way I knew he would. Some good - some bad ! We all need to get used to it !

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
You wont get it!

Finch has ALWAYS been a very inconsistent player. He will follow a good game up with 4 bad ones. Why will that change now that he is with us??

That is the reason he has always been a much maligned player - because he is so inconsistent.

He is playing for us the EXACT way I knew he would. Some good - some bad ! We all need to get used to it !

same could be said for about 10 of our players..

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
oneguy said:
? by "He" I'm assuming you mean Blake Green?

So because 'he' didn't have a great game today - you want to promote him to the starting side?

:lol:

Look, I like Blake - he's got a lot of potential. In previous games he's played well. Against the Bulldogs, he got found out a bit. He now knows what 1st Grade NRL is about. He'll learn from that.

i meant PJ

Utey

Coach
forward pass said:
You wont get it!

He will have a blinder next week ;-)

Expectation at the Roosters killed any chance of consistancy. I thought the coaching he was receiving and the swapping and shuffling he experieced was also to blame.

Freak2

Juniors
I must of been watching a different game!!

If you really must have someone to blame.............

here it is............................................

Michael Hagan!!

We lost the game when Green come on for Wagon and not PJ who was gone IMO.

Hagan had Cayless / Wagon / Hindmarsh all on the bench at the one time with us leading by 1 try.

Arguably our best 3 defenders!!

As soon as Mason went in PJ was hooked.

PJ is not an 80 minute player. Never has been never will be. Blake should have been on after 25-30 minutes and back off with 25 to go. Not the last 15-20 minutes of the game!