What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blokes off conract for next year.

mxlegend99

Referee
skeepe said:
Raiders off contract after 2007:

Vili Faingaa
Craig Frawley
Ryan Hinchcliffe
Steve McLean
Junior Sau
Jason Williams

Yep, that's it. 6 players, only 2 of them with first grade experience (or 7, Dobson may not have signed the extension to 2010 I keep hearing about). McLean, Hinchcliffe and Sau are close to must-keeps, the rest meh not concerned. None of them will take up much cap space in any event.
You sure? Those guys would be high on the list for other clubs to sign....

kooriguy

Juniors
hopefully roosters take rooney off our hands.. i mean he runs like he has a bad case of mud butt. needless to say i will be angry if management give him anywhere near the money he is on now, has done sfa for 2 yrs now.

perverse

Referee
Mut said:
Forwards:
Backs:
Tim Smith (Eels), Will go to Brian Smiths new club Johns retirement to play with Mullen
Eric Grothe (Eels), Will stay on
Timana Tahu (Eels), Will go home to Knights with Johns cap money available
Brett Kimmorley (Sharks), Roosters, obvious choice
Brent Tate (Broncos), Rugby
Ben Hornby (Dragons) will stay
we'll take tahu, eels can keep smith though.

Johns Magic

Referee
BrisVegas said:
Here is an updated list of players off contract at the Brisbane Broncos at the end of the '07 season. [Source: Sunday Mail]

Petro Civoniceva......[$320k]
Justin Hodges...........[$300k]
Brent Tate...............[$300k]
Shaun Berrigan........[$280k]
Sam Thaiday............[$200k]
Dane Carlaw............[$180k]
Greg Eastwood.........[$150k]
Brad Thorn..............[$150k]
Darius Boyd.............[$120k]
Steve Michaels.........[$120k]

That is $2.1 million, over 50% of the clubs cap space unaccounted for beyond this season.

Priority signings should be Petro Civoniceva and Justin Hodges.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tate head off to union or Berrigan take a big contract in the Super League.

Sam Thaiday should be signed after a contract bump.

Carlaw could be handy to keep around for a few more years while the club bloods some more youngsters as long as he is on a comparable contract.

Brad Thorn is 32 and may be looking for a big contract overseas. If he can be signed up for another year he should be.

Greg Eastwood is one of the clubs most promising youngsters and should have his contract extended. He will likely be a mainstay New Zealand Rep within a few seasons and should be signed up before his price is inflated.

Darius Boyd and Steve Michaels are both Gold Coast juniors. Provided they are not looking at signing with the Titans I think there is a high chance they will be signed up again. Michaels is my pick of the two, but Boyd has spoken of his intention to re-sign this week after the loyalty shown by Bennett to play him in 27 games last year.

Where are those figures from?

Johns Magic

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Sunday Mail as Brisvegas stated at the end of the 1st line of his post.

He said the list of off-contract players was from the SM, not necessarily the figures.

I'm very surprised that the SM would give out those details.

Raider_69

Post Whore
mxlegend99 said:
You sure? Those guys would be high on the list for other clubs to sign....

Hinchcliffe, Sau and McLean should get some interest from other clubs, but they wont set us back much at all, Sau and McLean should be PL contracts next season (unless Sau kicks on like i hope he does). Hinchcliffe may look elsewhere for an oppertunity if we lock down withers in at hooker

BrisVegas

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
He said the list of off-contract players was from the SM, not necessarily the figures.

I'm very surprised that the SM would give out those details.

The figures were quoted from the Sunday Mail.

It's possible the Sunday Mail has access to these figures either through a) The News Ltd connection, or b) It's public information due to the Brisbane broncos being a publically listed company. Either way it's not of any real concern.

thommo4pm

Coach
BrisVegas said:
Here is an updated list of players off contract at the Brisbane Broncos at the end of the '07 season. [Source: Sunday Mail]

Petro Civoniceva......[$320k]
Justin Hodges...........[$300k]
Brent Tate...............[$300k]
Shaun Berrigan........[$280k]
Sam Thaiday............[$200k]
Dane Carlaw............[$180k]
Greg Eastwood.........[$150k]
Brad Thorn..............[$150k]
Darius Boyd.............[$120k]
Steve Michaels.........[$120k]

That is $2.1 million, over 50% of the clubs cap space unaccounted for beyond this season.

If those figures are accurate with regard to their salary's, how on earth are Brisbane under the cap?
Lockyer would be their highest paid player, on at least $350-400K per season. Takes them to $2.5M from 11 players.
Are we lead to believe the remaining players take up just over $1M, when you have the likes of Hunt, Carroll, Ennis, Mcguire, among others in the remaining players.

Johns Magic

Referee
BrisVegas said:
The figures were quoted from the Sunday Mail.

It's possible the Sunday Mail has access to these figures either through a) The News Ltd connection, or b) It's public information due to the Brisbane broncos being a publically listed company. Either way it's not of any real concern.

Sure mate, was just checking.

Mr Saab

Referee
thommo4pm said:
If those figures are accurate with regard to their salary's, how on earth are Brisbane under the cap?
Lockyer would be their highest paid player, on at least $350-400K per season. Takes them to $2.5M from 11 players.
Are we lead to believe the remaining players take up just over $1M, when you have the likes of Hunt, Carroll, Ennis, Mcguire, among others in the remaining players.

Lockyer would be on at least 400-500k.
Hunt i think is on 200k.
Mcguire has left the club
Ennis....???
Carroll...???

Cap is 3.75 million. Plus there is third party payments and the like.

D

Deleted member 10972

kooriguy said:
hopefully roosters take rooney off our hands.. i mean he runs like he has a bad case of mud butt. needless to say i will be angry if management give him anywhere near the money he is on now, has done sfa for 2 yrs now.

Roosters have plenty of wingers, i think the issue is that 2 of our centres (Sa, Monaghan) are off contract, 2 of our hookers (Wing, L'Estrange) are off contract, 4 of our props (Beattie, Tonga, Nuuausala, Brown) are off contract, & 2 of our halves (Lewis, Pearce) are off contract. Fitzgibbon will more than likely stay, & blokes like Meredith & Mellars are only in PL anyway, so i am unfussed about them. i'd like to see all those centres & halves stay, Stranger isn't really necessary though Wing is, & assuming we pick up O'Meley, we will only need two of those props to stay - Nuuausala is young & HAS to be one of them.

thommo4pm said:

imagine how they was under the cap last year!

mxlegend99

Referee
kooriguy said:
Why not wait till we see how he performs this year first?

He has worked hard in the off-season and could very well be in for a big year. Although i agree he is on way too much.

Kiwi

First Grade
thommo4pm said:

Those figures were estimates, not printed as fact, and I think if memory serves me correct, they were more what the CM thought it would take to keep them, or what their value was.

Danish

Referee
Moffo said:
would anyone buy fitzgibbon or wing? getting a bit long in the teeth for mine

Wing is 27 years old, how is that long in the tooth??

the only threat of losing wing is to Yawnion. He wont go to another NRL team.

Latest posts