What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blues Halves for 2013

6 and 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hardbaby

Coach
Agreed on Gallen. Great player but does he need to handle the ball every set? At least at the Sharks his role is changing next year so hopefully the quality not quantity approach is replicated at Origin level.

caylo

Bench
I agree with the comment that if creativity is what you want then move hayne to fullback, while Stewart was good all series he has lost a lot of pace and his kick returns were docile which are meant to be his strengths.

Pearce was average but so was Thurston and Cronk (esp cronk) for majority of the series, we did only loss by one point and probably should have won the first game considering we were winning possession and meters.

It would be hasty to move away from Pearce to go with an untested halfback who has 25 games and Reynolds has shown nothing more then a good long kicking game, he has the luxury of playing with Sutton, Luke and Inglis to create points.

Farah and Carney have to be picked and the halfback position is between Walace and Pearce in my opinion because they are the only two with enough experience (and I don't rate Pearce at all).

If NSW are worried about creativity then Hayne at fullback with Morris and Uate on the wings, J.Morris and Jennings in the centres and there is a backline for the next 5 years locked in.

timka4

Bench
Agreed, I felt Bird and Gallen overplayed their hand a little bit in game 2 and 3. Gallen's ball playing is subpar in the rep arena, and Bird I thought restricted alot of Jenning's involvement in the game.

Gallen imo needs to move back to prop, and just do what he does best, run and tackle. While I think Bird needs to play more middle of the field like lock and help spread the ball out, not run it on the edge and take the ball from the left edge.

farmeister

Juniors
I think Brett Stewart's contribution this year has been much under-rated. The big bonus to Stewart's game is that he consistently turns half-chances into tries. In a tight Origin match, where you're lucky to get any chances at all, that's absolute gold.

Stewart scored 3 tries this series. 2 of those tries were from classic fullback support play (one where he backed up Carney's line break, and one where he raced through to score off the grubber). As much as I'm a fan of Hayne and Dugan, neither of those players would have scored either of those tries.

Maybe you could argue that Hayne's better kick returns and his ability to create his own chances would outweigh Stewart's contributions.

But it's a big risk dropping a guy who scored 3 tries in an Origin series and barely made a mistake defensively.

Big Pete

Referee
Okay, lay it out on the table. Who do you want to see form the halves pairing - and let's do this under the impression that every player is in form and worthy of a spot.

I know there is already a team thread, but I believe this is a matter of particular interest and requires focus.

List of available players...(going through EVERY possible option)
Todd Carney (incumbent)
Mitchell Pearce (incumbent)
Peter Wallace
Terry Campese
Josh McCrone
Sam Williams
Mitch Cornish
Jack Wighton
Michael Picker
Josh Reynolds
Trent Hodkinson
Kris Keating
Jeff Robson
Wade Graham
Chad Townsend
Jake Walsh
Penani Manumalealii
Aidan Sezer
Albert Kelly
Beau Henry
Dane Chisolm
Jason Seage
Brett Finch
Jarrod Mullen
Kurt Gidley
Tyrone Roberts
Ryan Stig
Lachlan Coote
Luke Walsh
Blake Austin
Ethan Cook
Jamie Soward
Josh Drinkwater
Todd Ryan
John Sutton
Adam Reynolds
Dylan Walker
James Maloney
Daniel Mortimer
Harry Siejka
Curtis Sironen
Tim Moltzen
Braith Anasta
Jacob Miller
Luke Brooks
Mitchell Moses
Firechild's son

A kingdom for a half!

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Could try the Broncos signature play and have a backrow (let's say Greg Bird) pass it to a charging Wallace for a paltry hit-up.

mongoose

Coach
Pearce & Carney will get selected due to lack of better options.

Carney deserves another series but I really question his mental toughness. You can see when he's down on confidence and ideas, he just starts throwing inside ball after inside ball and never taking the line on.

Hopefully someone like A.Reynolds or even Williams or Sezer puts their hand up early on in the season so we dont have to go with Pearce again.

boonboon

Juniors
Carney and Campese on the everyone is fiot and inform.

I think however which everone of the young tigers halves wins out over the next 3 or 4 years will be our next winning pairing - Probably Brooks and Moses or Sironen

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Campo will be lucky to be 5-6 games back from 2yrs on the sideline come game 1. Can't see him getting picked.