What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blues role to keep Anasta in league

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
ozboy said:
If he wants to go kicking balls into touch for the rest of his life, then so be it, he is no big loss for RL.

Has arguably been the most overated player in the NRL over the past few years, until being overtaken by Craig Fitzgibbon this year, and has only started to show some sort of form, which isn't that flash hot either, come contract negotiation time.

Willie Mason should be 100 times higher on the Bulldogs agenda than Anasta.

What a big mistake it was to allow Travis Norton and Johnathan Thurston to join the Cowboys, and keeping Anasta at the Dogs.

Norton was a good player for the Dogs but injury prone - something the Cowboys are realising. Make no mistake, the Dogs knew how good Thurston was which was why we fought hard to keep him from going to Souths a couple of years back. At the end of the day Thurston's ability saw him command big dollars and we already have a successful halves combo so Jonno went north were he's doing great and good luck to him - i think he could challenge Prince for the QLD #7.

Personally I think the big keys for us are/were retaining Mason/Williams then Anasta if we can do that then we can keep winning premierships.

_Johnsy

Referee
I am sick and tired of players using yawnion for leverage when it comes to their contracts, now as an attempt to get in rep teams. IMO he would have definately been on the bench, Now I'd say piss him off and let him go to the ywanfest. It really does show the calibre of the man, or should I say boy. Piss off braith we dont need you.

ibeme

First Grade
This is hardly an ultimatum. All he's doing is pointing out the obvious by saying that the opportunity to play SOO increases league's appeal. If he felt that opportunity no longer existed for him, then he has less to aim for in league. It's a completely valid statement. He's not saying, "Let me play SOO or else".

_Johnsy

Referee
ibeme said:
All he's doing is pointing out the obvious by saying that the opportunity to play SOO increases league's appeal.

To who is the appeal increased? Braith... if so his heart is not in playing league. If its not his subtle way of delivering an ultimatum I dont know what it is.

ibeme

First Grade
If he called a press conference or something and made these statements without any prompting, then I think we could say that it was some kind of ultimatum.

If, as I suspect, he's merely answered a question asked of him along the lines of "Would a Blues jumper make you want to stay in league?" then I think he's simply answered a question honestly.

Cammo

Bench
It's like saying that if in your current job there was no chance of promotion but in a different job there was, which one would be more appealing.

I think it's about time players actually told the truth to fans about what their plans could be.

miketyson

Juniors
Pensacola Q.C said:
Knight82 said:
I'd rate Hill, Barrett, Gidley(Yes biest but well I am a knight), Smith, Dykes, and Campell before him easily.

He has improved this season though I no longer put him in the cat category merely uninvolved category.

Hill - very good player, injury prone but ability wise probably on a par with Anasta. Braith has that fiery, competitive winning attitude that separates him from Hill and hits harder in defence.

Barrett - he's never on the field much and even when he has been, he hasn't done a whole lot.

Gidley - :lol:

Dykes - simply not as good as Anasta. Everyone knows it. Remember all his success at Parramatta?

Smith - doing well at 33. He has not been as devastating as Anasta though.

Campbell - great player. Lack of size still makes it tough for him defensively despite good technique and guts. Probably the best attacking 5/8 outside of Lockyer.

And for those people whinging about Anasta negotiating with yawnyawn...well he's a target of theirs and iot would be silly not to explore all his options. If you were Anasta would you sign a 230K per year deal to stay with the Bulldogs when you could get close to double that with yawnyawn or significantly more by waiting for June 30?

On form he deserves the NSW #6 anyway.

Agree with most of that except for hill who has been doing for years what ansta has done in the last 6 weeks and Barrett who has been a standout at every level of the game , Looking at anasta you would say that he has failed when given a chance at rep level.

Albinomonkey

Juniors
Sounds to me like he's just trying to "bribe" them into giving him the Blues jersey. Pfft.. I hope they couldn't care less if he goes to union - I don't.

Kiwi

First Grade
Sounds very much like a player saying.....pick me or i'll take my ball and leave

ByRd

First Grade
Anasta has been one of the dogs best this year & has been in career best form. On form he is a chance for origin, if not in the 6, then maybe the 13???

Kid

Juniors
IMO Anasta has finally started to show the ability to control a game. He is in great form this year. However, i think everyone is missing the point, it's actually Union that should be telling them to piss off, they only wanted to hear from him if he was genuine which clearly he isn't. (not that i care)

rugged

Juniors
"Oh no, we'll never replace Rogers, Sailor, Tuqiri"...

It's taken QLD a while to replace them at origin level. Maybe we'll be OK this year at last.

Maybe the fact that Anasta is exploring his options elsewhere will be enough to convince the selectors not to waste an origin spot on him. :p

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You guys really are slightly sad. Anasta and Patten have to be the two best performers for what has been a shit year for the Dogs so far. But recognising his own good form, he's being called an egomaniac.

FFS, if they're not down on themselves they're an egomaniac. make up your f**king minds, it's getting old.

aqua_duck

Coach
Anasta has been in good form this year but Luke COvell is in good form this year as well. Anasta shouldn't command a place in the origin team based on 6 games when he's been out of form since 2001. The guy almost blew it for the dogs in the GF. Look if he can maintain this form until years end then I'd definately have him on the roo tour, but for him to expect a nsw jersey at this stage is abit hows it going. BTW I'd rate Hill over Anasta, and as for Barrett getting injured, well if memory serves me correct Anasta seems to have the same problem around finals time.

ibeme

First Grade
Where does he say that he expects a blues jersey?

People are putting words into his mouth. All he said was that the opportunity to play SOO made league a more attractive option.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Perhaps a NSW S.O.O. number 6 jersey will be the "sweetener" from NSW coach Ricky Stuart chasing a five-eight for 2006 ;-)

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Everyone but 'Dogs supporters can see what he's doing. He's being subtle but he's still saying "Give me my Blues jersey back or I'll go to Union". He says that Origin would make it a more attractive option? That's still saying that he's going to take his ball and leave if not given a go. If he doesn't want to stay and the only thing that will keep him here is Origin, then I'll gladly say piss off Anasta.

gregstar

Referee
Broncodroid said:
Perhaps a NSW S.O.O. number 6 jersey will be the "sweetener" from NSW coach Ricky Stuart chasing a five-eight for 2006 ;-)
oh so cynical! ;-)