What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BMoz - 99 not out

bottle

Coach
The better Morris is on the verge of a century of tries. Hopefully he smashes the barrier this weekend.

Apparently this will be the second time a father/son combo has scored a hundred tries each.
The first was Bill and Brett Mullins. However when BMoz gets his century it will be the first time that a father/son ton has been scored at the same club.

What a great achievement, and it just underpins the familial nature of the club and its greats.

Go get 'em Brett.

P.S. Josh has 86. He could well achieve the ton himself this year. What a proud dad Slippery Snr must be.

bottle

Coach
How many years does Brett have in him?
He could leave Kingy's record in his wake if all goes well for him.
Superb stuff.

Minh

First Grade
Now with decent halves and centres he might just get there- break the record.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nathan Blacklock may have broken it if not for an interrupted career.

Some stats...

Johnny King
12 seasons for us
191 games
143 tries
Average = .75 tries per game

Brett Morris
8 seasons to date
153 games
99 tries
Average = .65 tries per game

B Morris is a chance to break John King's record. At aged 27 he still has some time on side. He would need to play another 70 games and if he remains true to the average, he'll post 45 more tries and break the record. It looks pretty tight to me, but 3 or 4 good seasons should do it. Injuries may be the only barrier.

Nevertheless, to break the record Brett will need to play more games than John, which is a credit to King and a reason why the record has stood for so long.

FTR, father Steve Morris
8 seasons
174 games
102 tries
Average = .59 tries per game

EDIT:
Nathan Blacklock
137 games
120 tries
Average = .88 tries per game

Last edited:

tumbidragon

First Grade
So much gunnage right there Willow.

In regards to the Morris bro's cracking a ton, maybe we could coax the lesser Morris back home and they could all share that wonderful record under the same v

BennyV

Referee
Personally, I hope Morris doesn't get it this weekend, purely because I can't make it to the Sharks game.

Ideally, I'd love him to intercept a Ben Barba pass in the dying minutes of the game vs Broncos and score a length of the field try to win the game and bring up the hundred...would be magic!

TheRev

First Grade
How many years does Brett have in him?
He could leave Kingy's record in his wake if all goes well for him.
Superb stuff.

Thats the thing though, if he's gotten some quality ball these past few seasons he would surely have another 15+ already..

Hopefully we can continue our form... Widdop remains uninjured... and Morris sees plenty more ball this season.

dino2170

Juniors
i dont want to be a bearer of bad tidings but what if we lost both nightengal and morris who do we have up to first grade standard to replace them

Minh

First Grade
i dont want to be a bearer of bad tidings but what if we lost both nightengal and morris who do we have up to first grade standard to replace them

Mata 'Utia, Quinlan, Stanley, Runciman...these guys can make the adjustments. Then you have Beale and also Farrell who can make the shift if needed.

kit66

Bench

Runciman, Quinlan, Mata'utia, Yaw Kiti Glymin or Thompson and Stanley to the centres and Beale and Farrell on the wings or any number of combinations. Our depth this year is very good.

Minh

First Grade
So much gunnage right there Willow.

In regards to the Morris bro's cracking a ton, maybe we could coax the lesser Morris back home and they could all share that wonderful record under the same v

"The lesser Morris":lol::lol::lol:

giboz71

First Grade
Runciman, Quinlan, Mata'utia, Yaw Kiti Glymin or Thompson and Stanley to the centres and Beale and Farrell on the wings or any number of combinations. Our depth this year is very good.

Was thinking the same thing. There's actually good versatility in the squad. It's only hooker where we struggle, especially if we lose Garvey. Although Witt could fill in I suppose.

Of course, an extra big prop would be handy.

dino2170

Juniors
Im very confused as to why we brought farrel, hes not very fast and defensively he is all over the shop. ANOTHER ONE OF PRICES BRILLIANT SIGNINGS. Over the years saints always have a quick centre and a defensive centre. i dont know what to call farell. he went missing in the last game. i bet in coming matches the opposition will exploit his side.

Minh

First Grade
He went alright last year at Souths, actually he was a little better than alright. The only blemish I thought was his last game for them against Manly in the prelim final. Give him some time, if he fails we have options.

GT0007

Juniors
Im very confused as to why we brought farrel, hes not very fast and defensively he is all over the shop. ANOTHER ONE OF PRICES BRILLIANT SIGNINGS. Over the years saints always have a quick centre and a defensive centre. i dont know what to call farell. he went missing in the last game. i bet in coming matches the opposition will exploit his side.

I don't think he's has much opportunity and needs more time.

TheRev

First Grade
Farrell was probably cheapish, a bit of a punt / depth-signing like most of our purchases.. I didnt like him at souths, and personally I wish they'd spent a bit more and gone someone higher-class instead, because I have mentioned before I see classy centres as what prevents us from scoring points (yes yes I know we started well with points).

But you also need to consider that between Runciman, Beale (international), MataUtai, Farrell and potentially Kyle Stanley, we have a lot of 'maybe centres' in the squad, and Price is assumably hoping 2 of them stand out from the pack.. the same approach they went with in the Forwards.. and perhaps some relatively early success with Cooper being a surprise.

Basically this has been Doust/Price's approach for a few years now, I believe that they dont like taking gambles on big dollar players, the risk if they dont perform or get injured is high... hence they scatter their bets and hope.. and combined with the organic growth principles that "sort of" works, until they clicked last year that they simply had to spend more for quality.. and hence Dugan/Widdop/Thompson.. and thank god we did.. I just wish they had made purchases like this proactively, instead of letting the club descend so hard for 2 straight seasons.

Last edited: