What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bmoz is gone

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Who is in charge of this rapidly deteriorating mess?
Good question. The CEO, the Recruitment Manager, the Leagues Club President, the Financial Controller, the Chairman, half the board and sometimes the coach gets heard... and some will point to Sean O'Connor as holding some sway.

Personally I'd give the staff in the club bistro a go at running the place. You never know, they could turn things around.

Shulman

Juniors
Dogs will have 4 current NSW origin players in their backline. Not sure if that's ever happened before

BennyV

Referee
Souths and Roosters have a heap of youngsters in their squad as well not bought players like the Dogs. Big difference.

I just can't understand how the Dogs are below the cap and if so why not all other 15 clubs challenge them or at least get details of what methods they use to be able to afford so many players. I am sure the other clubs would rather buy players than spend a heap of money on developing juniors for them.

The rules around TPA were changed this year so that there is no limit on them. Effectively, clubs can pay players as much as they want through TPA as long as there is no direct link between that third party and the club. The smarter slubs are exploiting it. We arent.

The Nick

Bench
The rules around TPA were changed this year so that there is no limit on them. Effectively, clubs can pay players as much as they want through TPA as long as there is no direct link between that third party and the club. The smarter slubs are exploiting it. We arent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of TPA's is that they can't be guaranteed, otherwise they count under the salary cap (isn't this why Gasnier walked out on us originally, due to failed TPA agreements?). So I don't know how these "smarter" clubs are utilising them effectively as bargaining tools to recruit players if these payments can't be guaranteed? Obviously it's a rort. "Hey sign with us kid - we might be able to get you an extra $250k per annum... Although we can't guarantee it" *wink wink*

bottle

Coach
Of course it's a rort.
The thing being that the well connected and smartly run clubs know how to work it. We don't.
This is the biggest fundamental failing.
It's death of the Salary Cap by stealth, and we aren't playing the game well at all.

rasaint

Juniors
I am as disappointed as all on the forum at this news. Brett is still at his best at age 28 and a strong ball runner and blistering speed. He will go well at fullback. Remember Matt Cooper was at his best at age 31 in 2010 his best year IMO. So the dogs have hit the sweet spot still for a top class Dragons legend.

However it is what it is. I don't buy into the Dogs fans line saying that our backline is cheap as chips other than Josh. Lafai is definitely a $450k player, hodgekinson $350 to $ 400k as would be Reynolds. All good money players in addition to the big forwards headed by James Graham on a reported $ 650k to $700 k.

It seems that the Sponsorship payments outside the cap are the key. Good luck to the sides which are able to use this avenue cleverly. I believe that would have a big bearing on the way Brett has been gained.

Boy it hurts. I hope that young Aiken and Fonua Blake get a go. Particularly Aiken, he has something and only 6 months younger than Souths gun young centre. BTY Benji is a good purchase and will continue to perform well. I hope Josh Dugan provides value for $700 k. He seemed more like a good $350k player to me last year.

BennyV

Referee
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of TPA's is that they can't be guaranteed, otherwise they count under the salary cap (isn't this why Gasnier walked out on us originally, due to failed TPA agreements?). So I don't know how these "smarter" clubs are utilising them effectively as bargaining tools to recruit players if these payments can't be guaranteed? Obviously it's a rort. "Hey sign with us kid - we might be able to get you an extra $250k per annum... Although we can't guarantee it" *wink wink*

Call it a rort, exploitation or whatever you want, but its legal as long as these deals cant be connected directly to the club. With Dogs, its mainly their leagues club...the dogs sign the player, the leagues club comes along and says they want to sponsor, theres no official connection. And they arent 'guaranteed' on paper, hence the Fifita saga...he wanted guaranteed money.

The smart clubs do it. The rest get left behind. Its a blight on the game and defeats the purpose of the salary cap. The blame lays solely at the feet of NRL management and I'd say Mr Greenburg conveniently pushed the idea...

rainman44

Bench
Its not about being smarter its the private owed clubs and the rich clubs that can pay what they want. Dave Smith along with his brain trust Greenberg are ruining what Gallop did and even though we need to pay the players more, there should be limits as this third party stuff thats unlimited will only see 5 sides competing for the comp every year and yes the same sides.

rainman44

Bench
Call it a rort, exploitation or whatever you want, but its legal as long as these deals cant be connected directly to the club. With Dogs, its mainly their leagues club...the dogs sign the player, the leagues club comes along and says they want to sponsor, theres no official connection. And they arent 'guaranteed' on paper, hence the Fifita saga...he wanted guaranteed money.

The smart clubs do it. The rest get left behind. Its a blight on the game and defeats the purpose of the salary cap. The blame lays solely at the feet of NRL management and I'd say Mr Greenburg conveniently pushed the idea...
You nailed it

rainman44

Bench
What the dogs are doing though which we cant prove until its leaked, they can for example go to a real estate owner and transfer $300k into the business and tell them they can put it into the account of a player every month, its that easy. When ever a club has money they have strong business connections.

Mr Red

First Grade
Did you see his farewell message? Are you saying Brett is a liar?

I think it's called not wanting to burn any bridges, or not wanting to air the dirty laundry rather than being a liar.

It's like leaving your job because you hate your boss, in your resignation letter you state the old "looking for a new challenge or opportunity " as your reason for leaving , not publicly say your boss is a fool...

Minh

First Grade
Its not about being smarter its the private owed clubs and the rich clubs that can pay what they want. Dave Smith along with his brain trust Greenberg are ruining what Gallop did and even though we need to pay the players more, there should be limits as this third party stuff thats unlimited will only see 5 sides competing for the comp every year and yes the same sides.

100%, it's no longer a fair competition and if it keeps going like this I bet a lot of fans will walk away.

The loss of Morris is a monumental f*#k up.

Despite playing on the wing, Dragons received value for money, and then some. He was also the face of the club, and a favourite with kids. How do you put a price on that, the kids loving a player and being drawn to the club. My boy supports the Rabbits because of Inglis. I know, I've failed.

Talk that we shouldn't spend so much on a winger is nonsense. We've lost him because the club has paid overs on other recruits.

Nothing but poor management. And the appointment of another rookie coach does nothing to alleviate our recruitment difficulties, being to sign players on fair money.

I really hope the size of membership shrinks by half. It's the only way the muppets on the board will be forced into making the necessary changes in head office.

Straight Shooter

hardbaby

Coach
The thing about BMoz is that he was the one player in countless games that looked likely to score. When your team is playing badly, your forwards are getting towelled and your halves have no direction, BMoz always looked likely. How do you put a value on that small piece of hope?

getsmarty

Immortal
The thing about BMoz is that he was the one player in countless games that looked likely to score. When your team is playing badly, your forwards are getting towelled and your halves have no direction, BMoz always looked likely. How do you put a value on that small piece of hope?

+ The metres he makes out of dummy half when our team was under pressure.

possm

Coach

I have always had the view that players should be contracted to the ARLC and rented to the Clubs. In this way all Clubs would have the same rent limit, players cost to any Club would be the same and the ARLC could pay the players market value thus keeping them in the ARL if they so whished.

If this rule was in place, we would keep most players that we want to keep however, maybe SBW, Hayne and Burgess would still move to other codes as they were after more than just $$$.

There is a loop hole in the system and the richer Clubs are exploiting this to gain an unfair advantage. This loop hole needs to be closed.