What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Elections

darkbloom

Juniors
You know what Abacus, if I still lived in Penrith I would have a crack but geography defeats me. It's hard to do when you are based in SE Asia. I also suspect that only locals who know the right people will get a chance and doubt whether any businessman has a chance when they aren't connected to local Penrith businesses. I bet I wouldn't get so much as a handful of votes compared to mr Cheesecake. Networking is everything in league, how else does Corey Payne become a CEO with nil experience, or Matt Gidley for that matter? Qualifications and experience matter very little in the incestuous world of league.

Nowadays, I only get to games when I visit Australia, but I watch every game through NRL watch and Setanta previously. I miss going to matches, I used to love sitting up in the Western Grandstand and tucking into a pie this time of year as the cold creeps in. This year I might need pies and hard liquor to help me get through the games. We are just awful this year. The great thing about sport though, there is always next year.

Unseating a single current member of the Board is nigh on impossible unless you are well connected and well-known. If a Lou Zivanovic ran - perish the thought - he would have a good chance. It is precisely why the Board operates by having someone stand down, then they are able to fill that position with another person that "fits in".

That is why the Board like a closed shop. The approach has the advantage of stability but the disadvantage of stagnation - or it opens itself to negative behaviours, even corruption.

If you want to have a hope of changing the Board you need to go for the entire Board - or you have to have a split in the Board where the two sides run opposing tickets.

So - you have to recruit a team of 7 and best if some of those had a high and respected profile. More importantly each of the 7 should know a lot of members they can reach and convince to vote for the group. If you have 7 members who can each convince 100 different people to vote their way that would give 700 votes each and it would be enough. Doesn't sound much but I can tell you it is a big call.

To achieve this you need the candidates to have the contacts but you also need very clear and strong reasons for wanting change. The following won't wash with anyone - The Chairman is a a dope, the coach is a zombie, the team is losing.

No you will need something more substantial like the members assets are being diminished or wasted, the future is being sold out, the losses are unsustainable - and you need to be able to back up your assertions with facts. This way you may be able to get some publicity for the campaign.

Fangs

Coach
Brian and Dave making a big splash in the papers. Preparing their defenses I guess.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Brian and Dave making a big splash in the papers. Preparing their defenses I guess.

They know an election is approaching so they need to sell it as a rebuild that had to happen, we are on the right track etc.

darkbloom

Juniors
They know an election is approaching so they need to sell it as a rebuild that had to happen, we are on the right track etc.

If an election is approaching has anyone started putting together an alternative board. Does anyone even know much hard work that is?

tripster

Juniors
If an election is approaching has anyone started putting together an alternative board. Does anyone even know much hard work that is?

It would involve finding the right candidates, but I think, at least at first tilt, we would only need 4, so that they have a carrying majority. Ideally you’d clean out the lot but that might not be possible first time round with the limited amount of time available.

As to getting a rival board or even director elected, I think people are underestimating the power of social media for things like this these days.

In the past it was incredibly difficult to organise enough members to vote against the incumbents. You’d need to spend real money and time.

These days things like Twitter and even this forum allow you to organise hundreds and potentially even thousands of people who would make the effort of voting in favour of change.

darkbloom

Juniors
I have no doubt you could get enough votes... Problem is getting the candiates
I admire your confidence - you may be right but it is much harder than you think.

On the "4 candidates is enough" proposition. Take care with that because the incumbents will work as a block of 7 - and as 7 their potential reach is 75% greater than a block of 4. Add to that the impramatur the Brandy gives to the incumbents a weight that is hard to buck.

Yes, have a crack. If you decide to have a crack I would offer this advice (apart from what I've said elsewhere):

- go in boots and all, make it a serious crack.
- be prepared for disappointment and willing to have a second crack, 2 years later.

If you you have a serious belief that the club's governance is fkd, you'll be prepared for a long battle to make it right.

If you are responding to a run of losses on the field and a poor recruitment of coach decision then a single tilt will see you out - in fact you'll be worn out before it even gets serious.

darkbloom

Juniors
I'd be very very cautious about have yoo many ex-players on the Board. And why would they want to put themselves through what is quite an onerous and thankless position.

They might have a passion for what happens on the field but that is not - or should not - be the criteria for a Board member of a $150m plus enterprise.

In saying that I do think Luke Priddis would be an ideal candidate.

Last edited:
I'd be very very cautious about have yoo many ex-players on the Board. And why would they want to put themselves through what is quite an onerous and thankless position.

They might have a passion for what happens on the field but that is not - or should not - be the criteria for a Board member of a $150m plus enterprise.

In saying that I do think Luke Priddis would be an ideal candidate.

I think a couple of ex players would be a good number. You need someone on there that knows footy, if for no other reason than to avoid decisions like picking Cleary over Bennett.

darkbloom

Juniors
I think a couple of ex players would be a good number. You need someone on there that knows footy, if for no other reason than to avoid decisions like picking Cleary over Bennett.
Funny that, it was on Brandy's recommendation that we got Elliot. Point is that no-one - not a soul is immune from error when it comes to any type of football recruitment - or any type of recruitment for that matter.

tripster

Juniors
Funny that, it was on Brandy's recommendation that we got Elliot. Point is that no-one - not a soul is immune from error when it comes to any type of football recruitment - or any type of recruitment for that matter.

I think I also remember hearing that Elliott was called into a meeting with the Board for the purpose of sacking him, and somehow managed to spout enough spin that he then left the meeting with a contract extension.

age.s

First Grade
I think I also remember hearing that Elliott was called into a meeting with the Board for the purpose of sacking him, and somehow managed to spout enough spin that he then left the meeting with a contract extension.

I can understand Elliott being hired tbh. He'd had decent results at Canberra, clearly interviews pretty well and I'm not sure who else was available at the time.

I can't understand him surviving a spoon and 74-12.

darkbloom

Juniors

Not sure there was an extension but yes I also recall that well.

Panfa

Juniors
The board elections cant come around quick enough get rid of them all and bring in a new board these clowns obviously dont have the best interests of the fans and community at heart jobs for the boys they are a disgrace.

forby

Juniors
Who is going to stand for election? Has anybody have a team put together yet? There is lots of he should stand and let’s vote them out, lots of angst but I can’t see any real action.

Bob

Juniors
Who is going to stand for election? Has anybody have a team put together yet? There is lots of he should stand and let’s vote them out, lots of angst but I can’t see any real action.
Neither can I

Abacus

Juniors
Thread has been active a week. You and @Bob realise it takes longer than that to put a ticket together right?

Meanwhile you're inferring others are impatient for wanting change after 10 weeks of poor performances. Ah, the irony.