What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bob Bentley CEO

Gronk

Staff member
From the bottom line to the Eels' front line

Adrian Proszenko

February 12, 2012

ipad-art-wide-bob-bentley-420x0.jpg
Gun for hire … new Parramatta chief executive Bob Bentley. Photo: Jon Reid

IN HIS teenage years, Bob Bentley conducted business with a gun under his desk. ''It was in the days where they trained you to shoot people,'' Bentley said of his first job as a teller at the old Rural Bank. ''If you got held up, you had a gun under your counter.
''I was only about 18 or 19, it was crazy.''
Fortunately, Bentley never had to draw following a withdrawal.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Having survived and thrived in his stint in the banking sector, Bentley is now the hired gun as Parramatta's new chief executive.
The 52-year-old will retain his previous post, as the boss of the leagues club, giving him the same control enjoyed by the self-proclaimed ''emperor of Parramatta'', Denis Fitzgerald.
''I'm not the emperor, I'm not the king. I'm not any of those titles,'' Bentley said. ''I don't have an ego, my background will tell you it's not something I aspire to.''
Bentley's background will also tell you that he has enjoyed success wherever he has gone. He worked in financial institutions for the first half of his career, becoming one of the youngest senior managers at several retail and merchant banks.
The Blue Mountains resident also held executive positions at Ernst & Young and, in what could prove handy in the league world, has dabbled in politics at local government level. Significantly, he has improved the bottom line of the leagues club and will turn his attention to the football club.
''Officially they're auditing that at the moment but the figure is likely to be close to $10 million [in profit for the leagues club],'' he said. ''After football grants, that's probably going to be $5 [million] to $5.5 million. Last year it was $3.3 million … it's moving in the right direction.''
With the exception of Brisbane, every NRL club runs at a loss. However, Bentley predicts the Eels will be in the black ''within 18 to 24 months''.
In further positive news, a standoff with main sponsor Pirtek has also been resolved following the resignation of the company's director, Glenn Duncan, last year. ''They've indicated they're 100 per cent behind us for the next two years,'' Bentley said.
The biggest challenge Bentley faces is breaking a premiership drought that has stretched into a 27th year. To that end, the club has set up an academy and development programs to identify, nurture and retain its best juniors.
''We want to become a development club, not a recruitment club,'' Bentley said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-front-line-20120211-1sy9o.html#ixzz1mIIhXe2F

oldmancraigy

Coach
Should it matter?

Yeh it does.

He's offered Burt, Ben Smith and Matt Keating $800k extensions for 4 years - clever ploy so that we're maxxed out on our salary cap and the Tiges can swoop in and plunder all the blokes who can actually play footy.

hasman

Juniors
Yeh it does.

He's offered Burt, Ben Smith and Matt Keating $800k extensions for 4 years - clever ploy so that we're maxxed out on our salary cap and the Tiges can swoop in and plunder all the blokes who can actually play footy.

Bob B isn't in charge of recruitment or re-signing players its up to SK and PN. BOB B Just signs the contracts to be valid. Bob is doing a great job.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Um! Omg! Are some of you actually taking what murf says seriously??

So the guy supported another club prior to his involvement with us, Fmd!!! I'm sure there's some real issues out there we can talk about?

SDM

First Grade
BoB B isn't incharge of Recruitment or Re-signing players its up to SK and PN. BOB B Jst signs the contracts to be Vaild. Bob Is doing a great job at moment.

Thanks Roy, the good oil straight from the chairman's mouth.

mickdo

Coach
Funny, I seem to recall most people saying we should have advertised the position widely, and gotten the 'best person for the job'. Just as long as they were an Eels supporter eh? Hypocrisy at its finest.

Gronk

Staff member
Um! Omg! Are some of you actually taking what murf says seriously??

So the guy supported another club prior to his involvement with us, Fmd!!! I'm sure there's some real issues out there we can talk about?

Bod Bentley's bentley. Hehe

bentley1.jpg

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
Yeh it does.

Hindmarsh went for the dogs growing up even though most of his family went for parra. Turned out ok for us.

Wasn't there another article as well about Mr Bentley looking to extend SK's contract for another 2 - 3 years past the current contract?

Latest posts