What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bonus of expanding the league

Perth Red

Post Whore
With more teams there is more chance of NRL top players staying in the NRL. With 16 teams you have say 32 of the top players earning enough not go to RU or SL, with 18 you have 36 etc

Would Rogers be coming back if the Titans weren't around? Would Campbell of gone to SL, Would Barrett be still in NRL if there was a CC or Perth team for him to play for? The more teams the more marque players stay in our game.

greenos

Juniors
And the crapper the quality becomes because you need 17 players to fill a team. Not two superstars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many decent players are playing reserve garde itching for a chance (ala Smith at Parra this year) and how many Aussies and Kiwis are plying their trade in SL?

stitch6004

Juniors
I think we should expand but should do it slower this time and central coast should be the next team admitted that area really need's a team.I know the warl want a team in perth i think they wanted a team here by the end of the decade and the sa rugby league want a one in adelaide i can't see either having a team within the next decade i think the nrl should test these markets first when they are eventually given the go ahead the two options will be to start from scratch or a team would be relocated.but we should'nt set up a new franchise at the expence of teams in the heartlands.

BrisVegas

Juniors
stitch6004 said:
I think we should expand but should do it slower this time and central coast should be the next team admitted that area really need's a team.I know the warl want a team in perth i think they wanted a team here by the end of the decade and the sa rugby league want a one in adelaide i can't see either having a team within the next decade i think the nrl should test these markets first when they are eventually given the go ahead the two options will be to start from scratch or a team would be relocated.but we should'nt set up a new franchise at the expence of teams in the heartlands.

The only way a team will be playing full time out of the Central Coast is the relocation of a Sydney based side. League is already the no.1 game there TV ratings wise, and the region has no-where near the corporate support or exposure for sponsers of places such as Wellington or Perth.

When the NRL accepts proposals for new sides in 2010 the first thing they will ask themselves is "Which proposals are going to increase our financial situation?" The NRL's highest source of income is TV rights, "Another NSW side" is not the answer to this question. Eventually a Sydney side will be under financial pressure from being located in such a competitive market and the money on offer from the NRL for relocation and the huge untapped juniors base will become an opportunity too rich to pass up. From 2007 a CC team no longer has to be called the Bears or play in their strip, so the issue will sort itself out over time.

The NRL has a tight grip on it's East Coast heartland with the inclusion of the Titans. The only thing needed is a second Brisbane/SE-QLD team to have a game in Brisbane every week and create an inter-city rivalry (should be looking at this in about 10 years time once the Titans are entrenched). If you think the AFL will put a team on the Central Coast you are mad, it would be like the NRL basing a team out of Geelong. SE-QLD has a greater argument for a new heartland team than the Central Coast does.

Misanthrope

Staff member
In a perfect world we'd see Adelaide, Perth, and a second Brisbane team in the next ten to twenty years. To make it even, perhaps Wellington or even a PNG side at some point.

freeridermx

Juniors
its all good to say png it would be great but how will they pay the players? travel , and its pretty much a 3 world country can people afford to go and pay would the club would need them to pay.
i`d love to see it but dont think it will happen, maybe the qld cup side which would be funded by the nrl or something would be a good start.

S2H

Juniors
There is no way they will expand into PNG in the next 20 years. The economic and political conditions there have deteriated over the last 20 years.

Yes they would get good crowds but they would also need armed guards at the game. No corporate support. Hard to get there.

And what player would want to take their family over there (or live there themselves). Its is a third world country where if you have money you need an armed guard to get around.

Perth would be the logical expansion choice. Good corporate support. A new ground being built and a small junior base which it can build on.

magpie_man

Juniors
at the end of the day, if a sydney team re-locates to the central coast, it will be because they need the financial incentives, and:

bulldogs - big leagues club
eels - big leagues club
panthers - big leagues club
roosters - politis/packer
souths - holmes a court/crowe
manly - delmege
dragons - WIN

which only leaves the tigers and sharks.
i don't think the nrl would want to see the tigers move away from the campbelltown area and the sharks are quite financially strong aren't they? don't they own toyota park and have a pretty good leagues club?

in 2010 i think we'll see the wellington orcas and perth reds admitted into the competition. personally, i'd prefer to see the central coast bears put in before the orcas, but it's not gonna happen.

JK

One of the private teams could have a few troubles and be forced to move?

New teams:
Perth
Wellington

Relocation:
CC
2nd Brissie

Come back in 20 years once that is done and put to bed.

Copa

Bench
Don't set the salary cap at a level that accomodates the financialy weakest clubs..

The cap should be set at a level that accmodates most, but not al clubs.

That'll encourage a few to look for greener pastures..

Front-Rower

First Grade
Magpie_Man why would the wests tigers consider moving when they have 3 leagues clubs?

While we are here once again talking about a national rugby league, I wonder if anybody actually understands that this an organisation by name and not nature.

Honestly, lets go and put a team in perth maybe one in adelaide, PNG, hobart, another one in NZ and south-eastern QLD, and watch the game die a slow death. Seriously doesn't anybody understand this is business and not some side show ally competition.

You just can't throw money at something and make it work. You have to be smart and strategically build the franchise. Not just donate $50 million to it and hope for the best, because you would soon be out of business. Ala Adelaide Rams, Western Reds, South Queensland Crushers.

You just don't do something for the sake of it and because the organisation is called the National Rugby League.

vikingstorm

Juniors
Perth Red said:
With more teams there is more chance of NRL top players staying in the NRL. With 16 teams you have say 32 of the top players earning enough not go to RU or SL, with 18 you have 36 etc

Would Rogers be coming back if the Titans weren't around? Would Campbell of gone to SL, Would Barrett be still in NRL if there was a CC or Perth team for him to play for? The more teams the more marque players stay in our game.

I would not worry too Much about this, but you are correct, the expansion to 16 TEAMS ALLOWS ANOTHER 30 OR SO PLAYERS TO EARN A LIVING. More than that it increases our profile as a game

Allowing Quality players to go the the British Super League also allows the Australian game to give its young players a real opportunity to develop.

I would argue that your game is stronger than ever because of these reasons.

Union in Australia is massively Over Hyped. Infact it is a "pale Shadow" of what League is, and you should be shouting about the strengths of League far more than you do.