What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought not bred

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think Finch came there pretty young though, he played Erindale College, but he's definately a Newcastle junior. Played in the same club as Luke Burt.

Burt also came to Parra at a young age, I think he was 16 when he was brought down.

skeepe

Immortal
I think Finch came there pretty young though, he played Erindale College, but he's definately a Newcastle junior. Played in the same club as Luke Burt.

Burt also came to Parra at a young age, I think he was 16 when he was brought down.

Given the definition of what constitutes a junior, I would think someone who was in the Raiders system at the age of 15 qualifies as having been developed by the club.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I've got man love for your big ranga back rower Dan Harrison B4L.

Central Coast boy? Definitely a mad Dragons fan as a pup. I'd love for him to come play for us.
Harrison is great. Captained the NYC boys to the finals in 2008 and did a tremendous job. He was outstanding. But he did his knee last year and is getting back into it this year. Hopefully he gets some FG games under his belt. He's off contract this year, too. But with the amount of guys you have coming off contract I doubt you'll sign anyone.

The Colonel

Immortal
1. Gidley - Knights
2. McManus - Knights
3. Junior Sau - Raiders?
4. Macdougall - Roosters i think? which probably means souths (lol)
5. Vuna - Warriors
6. Mullen - Knights
7. Dureau - Knights
8. Cross - Raiders
9. De Gois - Tigers
10. Taufua - Newcastle Rugby Union - Knights have been developing him for years though.
11. Simpson - Knights
12. Taia - Eels?
13. Hilder - Sharks

14. Fa'aoso - Panthers?
15. Paterson - Knights
16. Tuimavave - Warriors
17. Houston - Dragons
18. Uate - Knights
19. Rogers - Panthers?
20. Tolar - Knights
21. Tovo - Mascot Jets (souths territory?)
22. Ndaira - Dragons?
23. Ciraldo - Sharks
24. Lulia - Dragons
25. Mata'utia - Knights
26. Edwards - Knights
27. Karawana - Knights

i think that's the majority of players who are in with a shot at first grade with the knights this year. i may have forgotten 1 or 2, and i'm sure i've got a few junior clubs wrong.. but it's a good base for the knights list.

Marvin Karawana was signed by Newcastle from the Bulldogs and they signed him from New Zealand.

Adam MacDougall is a Cronulla Junior.

Big Pete

Referee
By junior, I mean the club the player was first contracted to. Eg. Justin Hodges and Sam Thaiday are both Broncos juniors despite being born and raised in Townsville.

As for Glenn, the Titans were affiliated with Burleigh at the time we signed him. Although his story is odd, when we signed him he'd only just recovered from a serious back injury that had kept him from the game for 2 years.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Given the definition of what constitutes a junior, I would think someone who was in the Raiders system at the age of 15 qualifies as having been developed by the club.

Thats an interesting point, I mean take O'Donnell and O'Meley.

Both are from the country (O'Donnell South Coast and O'Meley Central Coast), but came to their NRL clubs at a young age 15-16. Both considered a junior at those clubs cause they were developed there and both eligible for City.

Same could be said for Matt Orford.

Big Pete

Referee
After some enlightenment, I've changed my mind. Juniors are recognised by their first senior contract.

Dutchy

Immortal
Thats an interesting point, I mean take O'Donnell and O'Meley.

Both are from the country (O'Donnell South Coast and O'Meley Central Coast), but came to their NRL clubs at a young age 15-16. Both considered a junior at those clubs cause they were developed there and both eligible for City.

Same could be said for Matt Orford.

I have always had the belief that there is two different types of juniors.

Local, who come through the whole junior system of a specific club and come out the other end a first grader. Eg - Watmough.

And CLUB juniors. Stewart brothers are considered by me to be Dragons locals, but did most of their development (especially Glenn) in the Manly junior ranks. Manly club juniors.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Ben Barba, signed from Mackay to play Jersey Flegg in 2007. Bulldogs junior? I class him as one as he's come through the ranks and made it to FG at the one club. Even though his true junior football from a very young age was played in Mackay.

I think that's how a junior needs to be classed. It's too much to go into such great detail about how they aren't a junior of the club because they played under 11's footy in Penrith, not Queensland and all the rest of it.

If a player is signed by a club and it's their first club and they played lower grades there, then they are that clubs junior. Simple as that.

thorson1987

Coach
Of our probable starting side

Luke Burt (Newcastle)
Joel Reddy (Cronulla)
Timana Tahu (Newcastle)
Justin Poore (Illawarra)
Shane Shackleton (Cronulla?)
Fui Fui Moi Moi (Warriors)

I'm not 100% on Robson, I know he played for Parramatta before Manly and I think he's a local junior but I'm not totally sure. There's always contention over Grothe, too, Wests like to claim him but for all intents and purposes we developed him. Other than that, I think everyone else in the top 17 is either a local junior or brought in from elsewhere way back in the lower grades and developed as a junior at Parramatta...

Your right. Grothe played for a campbelltown side, but i dont think he ever played matts for Wests. He prob played U/13's to 15's for Wests but i wouldnt call them Juniors, they are just the rep side that played a couple of games during school holidays.

Delboy

First Grade
Luke Burt played Harold Matthews and Ball for Parra, never played reps for Newie.

Joel only played reps at Parra

Would suggest both developed as parra juniors

richies

Juniors
When people say "you bought players blah blah" I don't understand why it's such a bad thing.. Yeah, great, a club has brought well and are on the road to success because of it. WTG.

And as for the term junior, how is it suppose to be classified? It's pretty confusing.

well normally a player will leave a club for more money or a fulltime or top 17 spot or 1 he wants to play in.

eg
hannett--- very good money, similar to webce and petro
stagg//lock and more money
and probably ennis

so therefore not leaving as much for the other players eg jnrs

I would say a junior is classified as from harolds cup
as thats when the jnr reps start!!!
anyhow thats my opinion

Loudstrat

Coach
Under the old 13 import rule, an import was someone who did not play junior football for a team in the junior area funded and run by the senior club. Peter Sterling for instance was never a Parra junior, even though he played for Fairfield Patrician Brothers - because he joined Fairfield Pats when he was 17 after Parra brought him up from Wagga.

The problem is that clubs like the Broncos came on top of senior clubs in Brisbane. Petero Civoniceva may be classed as a broncos junior, but by the 13 import rule - where the defenition of "junior" came from - he's a Redcliffe junior. Juniors - players who played their junior footy within a club's junior district - were exempt from the 13 import rule. And that rule sprang from the old resident rule - where a player had to grow up in that clubs junior district.

The 13 import rule was brought in for two reasons. Obstensively it stopped players all moving to one area like Manly with it's nice beaches so get a gig with the Sea Eagles. It did this by allowing 13 of it's 39 (or so) players in their 3 grades to live elsewhere.

The second reason was to stop existing corruption of the residential rule. I can think of 3 examples:

• Harry Caples, who was an international in the 1920's, lived in Souths area and played for the Bunnies. When St George came in, hius house was in the new Saints area, so he had to move clubs
  • Frank Hyde lived at The Rocks, once part of Newtown's area. The NSWRFL changed the boundaries, so he had to play for Balmain
  • Johnny Raper lived at Revesby and was a Canterbury junior, but Newtown officials registered a bodgey address for him and graded him.
I guess it's fair to say that Brisbane based players who came up through the juniors of Brisbane clubs and were graded at the Broncos are now called Bronco juniors. The problem exists where players are graded at clubs with an afilliation and not a geographical similarity to the area. Inglis, for instance, entered his first NRL club from Brisbane (Brisbane Norths), and is therefore called a Storm junior. However he played senior football in the Knights system at Hunter Sports High. Technically - if he is a junior of Melbourne, how can he be a Queenslander?

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
And Greg Inglis only ever played Rugby League in QLD because of his contract with the Storm. A definite grey area of the game.

Latest posts