What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fittler calls for Manly to merge with North Sydney Bears to make 'behemoth' club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point that it was a hostile takeover and as such failed as for all intents and purposes they've basically murdered off the Illawarra portion of the 'merger' thus defeating the whole purpose of a merger in the first place...

For the Dragons merging with the Steelers was a means to an end, a stepping stone if you will, and kudos for them as it did work, but they never intended to 'merge' with the Steelers only to cannibalise them for their own survival, and as such as far as a merger goes it's a massive failure as just like pretty much every other merger in sporting history that's been 'successful' it's been 'successful' because one side of the partnership has successfully murdered the other and not cause they have successfully merged to create a new entity.

Given the nrl bears are gone and never coming back surely they have the most to gain? To be a part, even if it’s a minor part, of a northern Sydney nrl club or remain a nswrl leagues club suburban entity? Id have thought the former would be a more preferential choice. Given Manley’s lack of money they migh end up one day in charge anyway ala wests in the West’s Tigers merger.

Big question would be do you brand the new merged club as one, both or neither of the two co-owners?
Maybe better to call them northern Sydney somethings tather than NS Sea eagles playing in red and black or northern Sydney bears paying in maroon.

Also gives the better option of the new club going it alone if they fall out again!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Given the nrl bears are gone and never coming back surely they have the most to gain? To be a part, even if it’s a minor part, of a northern Sydney nrl club or remain a nswrl leagues club suburban entity? Id have thought the former would be a more preferential choice. Given Manley’s lack of money they migh end up one day in charge anyway ala wests in the West’s Tigers merger.

From the Bears point of view I'm sure a merger with Manly now would be great, it'd basically be a role reversal of last time they merged, they'd be the 'rich' club coming into save the other club that's going broke, they'd probably be able to muscle Manly out of the club just like Manly did to them last time as well...

But though a new merger might be great for the Bears (and not only would I personally love to see them in the top tier again, but on some level I'd love to see the poetic justice of them doing to Manly what Manly did to them), what's great for the Bears isn't necessarily what would be best for the NRL, the NS region, or indeed the sport it's self, and we've got to keep that in mind.

Big question would be do you brand the new merged club as one, both or neither of the two co-owners?
Maybe better to call them northern Sydney somethings tather than NS Sea eagles playing in red and black or northern Sydney bears paying in maroon.

Also gives the better option of the new club going it alone if they fall out again!

IF all other options were exhausted and two clubs were effectively forced into a merger then the way I'd do it is more like a traditional business merger instead of how sports clubs are traditionally merged.

So instead of a new business being started that both the old clubs own a percentage of but their other operations are still separate entities that the other side of the merger has no interest in, I'd merge all of both the merging clubs owners assets into one entity, so e.g. instead of NS leagues and the Penn family both being 50% owners in a new 'merged' NRL club, all of their RL related assets would be merged together under a new business that each relevant share holder owns a percentage of, so instead of NS leagues and the Penn family (and all the relevant Manly assets) owning a percentage of this merged entity NS leagues club (NS juniors, etc) and all the Manly assets (Manly, Manly juniors, etc) would become assets owned by the new merged entity, that way if things go south then everybody is on the sinking ship together, so they better work together or they are all equally f**ked.

And yes if I was going to merge clubs I would support a new brand over a 'merged' brand, as merging the brands just leads to problems and infighting, so yeah instead of the new club being called the North Sydney Sea Eagles and playing in red and black, they'd have a completely new brand and be (e.g.) the North Shore Nightmare and play in a dark smokey grey, with touches of bone white and a vibrant but dark purple, so there'd be no fighting over the brand and how much each club is represented in it as there'd be a new brand as a representation of the merger of the clubs creating one new entity.
I'd probably hold a competition where local fans submit an idea for a new brand that must not be a merger of the old brands or analogous to either of the old brands (so no e.g. Grizzlies, Sea Hawks, etc, either), then get a handful of local design artists to mock up each of the ideas and then have a public vote (where members of either of the old clubs get two votes maybe) for the best design, but now I'm rambling a bit (me rambling, never!) , but I'm sure you get that the point of the competition or something similar would be to take the brand out of the clubs hands and put it into the fans hands as much as possible.

Billythekid

First Grade
This is one of those things that won’t happen but I do wonder what the future holds for Manly. Brookvale is already well below the standard that should be required to home an NRL team and things are only getting worse. I can’t see any government wanting to throw any money towards that shit hole especially with how small their supporter base is.

They also will struggle moving anywhere else because their already miniscule fan base won’t travel so they’ll potentially have even worse crowds than they do now.

At some point something will have to give, I’m just not sure what that’ll be.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This is one of those things that won’t happen but I do wonder what the future holds for Manly. Brookvale is already well below the standard that should be required to home an NRL team and things are only getting worse. I can’t see any government wanting to throw any money towards that shit hole especially with how small their supporter base is.

They also will struggle moving anywhere else because their already miniscule fan base won’t travel so they’ll potentially have even worse crowds than they do now.

Adelaide Sea Eagles ;)

https://birdssa.asn.au/birddirectory/white-bellied-sea-eagle/

Pilot house

Juniors
Seriously, brad Fittler and matty johns are past the point of no return. Lost the plot.

If they think this is on the cards....

They’d be better sharing this with brads llamas.

Diesel

Referee

If Brookie is not up to NRL standard, why does the NRL allow them to play there?

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
If Brookie is not up to NRL standard, why does the NRL allow them to play there?

100% Agree!

The NRL has put up stipulations for what a new licence would need, ie. training facilities, an X,000 capacity stadium, transport, $X,000,000 in the bank, etc... but what about clubs that already hold licences? delapadated facilities are not only a risk to the players but the fans too. This isn't just in reference to Manly either as I'm sure there are a few other clubs that are in similar situations.

Pilot house

Juniors
Brookvake should be nuked.

The ground is ok, but their fans are “white trash”

The club that gave us hopoate and his finger.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Problem with NRL is too many clubs in Sydney yet far too many grounds to watch teams ( remember the 2 team West Tigers playing out of 4 venues 10 years ago doesn't help) and the f**kin Roosters should f**k off to CC and Crowe should move SS back to Eastern Seabed but hey you are still strong as English Rugby League is f**ked I think.

taipan

Referee
Problem with NRL is too many clubs in Sydney yet far too many grounds to watch teams ( remember the 2 team West Tigers playing out of 4 venues 10 years ago doesn't help) and the f**kin Roosters should f**k off to CC and Crowe should move SS back to Eastern Seabed but hey you are still strong as English Rugby League is f**ked I think.

Sheesh Teddy you want to move the Roosters to the "Eastern Seabed".The gimps have to breath now and again mate.Bloody hard to knock on or flick pass 100 fathoms below the surface.
Have another drink on me.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Sheesh Teddy you want to move the Roosters to the "Eastern Seabed".The gimps have to breath now and again mate.Bloody hard to knock on or flick pass 100 fathoms below the surface.
Have another drink on me.
I will thank you.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I agree with you but the roosters won’t be going anywhere now they are champions.

Central coast has a decent sized population similar to Townsville and maybe smaller than Newcastle with a great stadium perfect for a NRL franchise.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I agree with you but the roosters won’t be going anywhere now they are champions.

Central coast has a decent sized population similar to Townsville and maybe smaller than Newcastle with a great stadium perfect for a NRL franchise.
It's just sad that the owner of the Roosters doesn't realise they are a drain on the NRL and don't pull crowds.
Someone mentioned that any final series involving West Tigers, Bulldogs, Parramatta, Souths and St. Illawarra would get tons of support and there is Sydney's answer with the overcrowded market as I doubt 40000 would march if Eastern Suburbs were moved or kicked out but also the NRL needs a presence in North Sydney and Manly.

papabear

Juniors
Easts taking over manly and norths.

Norths without an NRL team run a bigger and more succesful junior comp then Easts.

Norths juniors is probably as strong as manlys with twice the competition from private schools and RU.

Easts are never going to do anything to help rugby league so having them involved in a junior competition is just insane.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
It's just sad that the owner of the Roosters doesn't realise they are a drain on the NRL and don't pull crowds.
Someone mentioned that any final series involving West Tigers, Bulldogs, Parramatta, Souths and St. Illawarra would get tons of support and there is Sydney's answer with the overcrowded market as I doubt 40000 would march if Eastern Suburbs were moved or kicked out but also the NRL needs a presence in North Sydney and Manly.
Aren’t the roosters considered the glamour team of Sydney in terms of having a very rich owner, attracting big sponsorship deal and all the media attention??

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Easts taking over manly and norths.

Norths without an NRL team run a bigger and more succesful junior comp then Easts.

Norths juniors is probably as strong as manlys with twice the competition from private schools and RU.

Easts are never going to do anything to help rugby league so having them involved in a junior competition is just insane.
Is this purely down to the location in Sydney of East’s??

Pilot house

Juniors
Not quite..

I encourage all christians, atheists and agnostics to indulge in this video.

Whence the world meets its fiery end in the hands of the expanding sun, I think it’s a few billion years away, this vision will be the only earthen relic for future krustoloidic aliens to study.

Other than this, Brookvale would make a great refugee centre. Bozo and Penn can walk around with bags of grain and fresh water for the new internees in tents. First plane back to war torn isslacabam will be booked out.

Even little Cuba was sending medical and food aid to New Orleans lol.

Last edited: