What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fittler calls for Manly to merge with North Sydney Bears to make 'behemoth' club.

The Great Dane

First Grade
BRAD Fittler joined Andrew Johns in calling for radical changes in the NRL which would reshape the game as we know it.

RUGBY league legends Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns have offered some out of the box thinking to revolutionise the NRL.

Speaking to the Wide World of Sports, NSW State of Origin coach Brad Fittler believes the Manly Sea Eagles should merge with the North Sydney Bears to form a “behemoth” of a club, while Andrew Johns shared a renewed call for a 12-team competition in which “only the strong survive”.

Fittler said the “time is right” for the merger between the clubs, which would cover an area including from the northern beaches up to the Central Coast.

Fittler said he thinks the Sea Eagles and Bears “would be crazy not to make that work”.

“Anywhere from the Harbour Bridge — take in the Central Coast — that would be such a powerful area and if they could come to some sense you could encapsulate Brookvale Oval, North Sydney Oval and Gosford and have a wonderful, strong club,” he said.

“You’ve got the big business of North Sydney, you’ve got the Peninsula, then you’ve got the people of the Central Coast, the numbers, it would be nearly a behemoth of a club if it had the right administration and the right people behind it,” Fittler said.

“Not only would it be good I think it’s a must for the NRL to look at and this is the time, the time is right now.”

The teams had previously merged as the Northern Eagles in 2002, a venture which lasted just three seasons with out tasting finals action.

But after a horror season which saw Manly finish 15th and endure a tumultuous time off the field, it may be the time for the return of a joint venture in northern Sydney.

Fittler’s solution fits with Andrew John’s solution to increase the salary cap but cut four teams from the NRL.

Johns originally floated the plan in early August but doubled down on the idea.

He said nine teams is too many in Sydney and advocated for a second team in Brisbane.

“I’ve got a theory that whatever the salary cap is now, say it’s $9 million; put it up to $12 million and then only the strong survive,” Johns said.

“I’ve said publicly I think we should have a 12-team competition, there’s too many teams in Sydney.

“So if that’s the way you put it up then only the strong survive. The ones that are administered strong, the ones with strong sponsorship, the ones that develop well, and then we get down eventually to 12 teams.

“(The current competition structure) suits the Broncos because they’ve got all that corporate support — that’s why we need another team in Brisbane. We need a derby in the major cities.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/b...b/news-story/6fc9fb8d6f197168e25759294c1e8e1d

Manly doesn't need to merge with the Bears to do any of that Freddy, the Bears are/should be a non-issue!

Johns is a f##king idiot as well, just goes to show that ex-players opinions aren't worth a damn 90% of the time...

Diesel

Referee
I could be wrong but I’m sure if seen a merged club, possibly the Northern Eagles... that went well

Diesel

Referee
They both have a point, but how it’s executed is important.

A super-club on the North Shore should be good for RL, there’s big business opportunities for sponsorship but the team needs a new stadium for this to work. You can’t have Manly playing at a Brookie or NSO.

I agree with Johns that there is too many Sydney teams but a 12-team comp is stupid. Have the North Shore Sea Eagles play some games on the CC, while the rest are in northern Sydney, move the Dragons to the ‘Gong for 10 games and all of a sudden Sydney isn’t oversaturated.

Teddyboy

First Grade
They both have a point, but how it’s executed is important.

A super-club on the North Shore should be good for RL, there’s big business opportunities for sponsorship but the team needs a new stadium for this to work. You can’t have Manly playing at a Brookie or NSO.

I agree with Johns that there is too many Sydney teams but a 12-team comp is stupid. Have the North Shore Sea Eagles play some games on the CC, while the rest are in northern Sydney, move the Dragons to the ‘Gong for 10 games and all of a sudden Sydney isn’t oversaturated.
No bit games at the CC just have a new team playing out of it or who ever owns it should sell the stadium for closure and in regards to Manly/North powerhouse then you are right have it in a new stadium in the middle of the North Shore and Northern Beaches Rugby League does need a presence in those areas.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brad smokes too many bongs and Joey seems to still be on the pingers. I wonder if he realises that a twelve team co p survival of the fittest would almost certainly see Newcastle gone?

He's my idea of a jersey for the merger

sLU66FaNbwnA3io3Iii4RVOBHjcNm2iCNkNeEGDIegEyozvBxukd2EmL4Fc1R9pshQf6NcZv9x621-Qan-awiK96j8J-_63mAl41LiEuoknqmYRHV1R04uRMVg=w430-h323-nc

King hit

Coach
Yeah the Northern Eagles were such a success. Still don’t understand what idiot thought putting arch enemies together would work.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Norths & Easts.... two very financially strong leagues clubs together. Wouldn't be surprised if Uncle Nick has seen the writing on the wall for Manly as a business and is ready to pick off carcass of the Sea Eagles... Roosters/Norths absorb Manly, become the Northern Roosters and encompass the eastern and northern beaches all the way to Gosford. Manly's licence is redistributed to a WA or Bris2 franchise.

Lol

flippikat

Bench
Norths & Easts.... two very financially strong leagues clubs together. Wouldn't be surprised if Uncle Nick has seen the writing on the wall for Manly as a business and is ready to pick off carcass of the Sea Eagles... Roosters/Norths absorb Manly, become the Northern Roosters and encompass the eastern and northern beaches all the way to Gosford. Manly's licence is redistributed to a WA or Bris2 franchise.

Lol

That's not entirely crazy.

Club disharmony, plus stretched finances, plus an aging home ground, plus mediocre form on the field is not a good combination for any club. With the the Roosters moving to a cricket ground (SCG) next year, I wonder if they would also consider a game of two at another cricket ground (North Sydney Oval) for a game or two as both a goodwill gesture to Norths & a thinly veiled warning shot to Manly?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Heart and soul of the North Sydney Bears Greg Florimo has weighed in on the proposal to re-merge Manly and the Bears.

New South Wales Origin coach Brad Fittler has suggested the Sea Eagles and Bears combine with the Central Coast region to form a “behemoth” club stretching north from the CBD all the way to Gosford and beyond.

Bears great-turned-CEO Florimo says another merger could in theory create more rugby league fans and players in the region.

“It’s hard to recruit, it’s hard to retain players, it’s hard to get kids to participate. So do we rationalise and put all our energies into this particular area and make sure we secure this space for the future? That’s probably a great idea and I think that’s what Freddy [Fittler] is trying to do,” Florimo told Macquarie Sports Radio‘s Cam Reddin.

“That would mean, if it is a super club, a behemoth, that may be something that the competition is perhaps heading in the direction of,” Florimo said.

Fittler’s suggestion came after fan support for Manly nose-dived in 2018. Manly’s average home turnout for this season was a measly 8,627, its lowest in 50 years, excluding the Northern Eagles years from 2000-2002.

All three districts combined would take in more than 1.5 million people, which Florimo says would be a “massive” population and land space to be represented by one team.

“There have been plenty of visions for football on the northern peninsula, the Central Coast and the northern suburbs… it’s not a new discussion by any means,” Florimo said.

“Rugby League is an Eastern Seaboard game. As much as we think about expansion, we have also got to consider our grassroots and our homeland,” he said. “Sometimes we look a little bit too far and we forget about what is in front of us”.

On suggestions Perth or Papua New Guinea could house the next NRL expansion club, Florimo warned against prioritising new markets ahead of the game’s heartland.

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/north-sydney-bears-ceo-open-to-new-merger-with-manly/

At this point the Bears and Florimo have gone beyond just embarrassing, and people say that PR is an ambulance chaser lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A solution that may work is a Bears and seaeagles in nsw Cup remain as sepeate identities and a new club takes the license, based at Gosford but with couple of games in manly/NS. Owned by both clubs and with equal represteantion on the board.

Manly are fcked, terrible ground that is not getting improved and a fan base that has fallen to 8500 attendees. Bears aren’t going great in their district by all accounts on here. Bring them together with a new “northern somethings” to be the direct pathways to nrl and let the seperate entities focus on jnr development and feeding the new super club.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A solution that may work is a Bears and seaeagles in nsw Cup remain as sepeate identities and a new club takes the license, based at Gosford but with couple of games in manly/NS. Owned by both clubs and with equal represteantion on the board.

Manly are fcked, terrible ground that is not getting improved and a fan base that has fallen to 8500 attendees. Bears aren’t going great in their district by all accounts on here. Bring them together with a new “northern somethings” to be the direct pathways to nrl and let the seperate entities focus on jnr development and feeding the new super club.

If the sea eagles fall over, better to use the chance to reduce the number of Sydney clubs and just task an existing club with the task of representing the North.

Roosters seem the prime candidates

flippikat

Bench
If the sea eagles fall over, better to use the chance to reduce the number of Sydney clubs and just task an existing club with the task of representing the North.

Roosters seem the prime candidates

East Coast Roosters (or "Easts" for short).

Based in Gosford, most home games in Gosford. 1 home game per year played at Brookvale or North Sydney Oval.

Via arrangements with rival Sydney clubs, offer 'Sydney Memberships' that include admission to away games against Sydney clubs, plus the heritage game at Brookie or NSO.

Have Eagles & Bears as feeder clubs in NSW Cup. One of those teams based in Gosford, the other at Brookie or NSO.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
East Coast Roosters (or "Easts" for short).

Based in Gosford, most home games in Gosford. 1 home game per year played at Brookvale or North Sydney Oval.

Via arrangements with rival Sydney clubs, offer 'Sydney Memberships' that include admission to away games against Sydney clubs, plus the heritage game at Brookie or NSO.

Have Eagles & Bears as feeder clubs in NSW Cup. One of those teams based in Gosford, the other at Brookie or NSO.

I dont know why they would need to play any games in Brooky or NSO...

A Steelers-Dragons style split between SFS and Gosford while claiming (and trying to engage) all fans in between is all they need to do.

Latest posts