What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fittler calls for Manly to merge with North Sydney Bears to make 'behemoth' club.

flippikat

Bench
I dont know why they would need to play any games in Brooky or NSO...

A Steelers-Dragons style split between SFS and Gosford while claiming (and trying to engage) all fans in between is all they need to do.

Ok, well maybe not a regular season game.. but perhaps a trial, like the Rabbitohs did with "return to Redfern".

The point remains, if neither Manly nor Norths is the solution for a "Super-regional" club to the north (equivalent to the Dragons to the south), then the Roosters is the only logical choice, imo. Certainly adds another dimension to their ANZAC Day clash, too!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Wow, you'd think they would have learned to be more wary of the Sea Eagles after last time.....

Gee RL has so many stupid people in it. RL is the only game once it has used up an area or money gives up on it and moves elsewhere. Thank god Souths didn't do that.

Manly had a bad year so what, next year could be a bumper season and they average 15,000 again.

The real issue is getting a decent stadium for Manly and playing their games at a time fans will go to games ie. not Thursday night.

Diesel

Referee
What would you call this club. The Pacific Highway Eagles?
Anything but Northern Eagles.

Keep the Sea Eagles name, as for the first part, I’m not sure if North Shore, North Sydney or Northern Sydney are acceptable options.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Gee RL has so many stupid people in it. RL is the only game once it has used up an area or money gives up on it and moves elsewhere. Thank god Souths didn't do that.

Manly had a bad year so what, next year could be a bumper season and they average 15,000 again.

The real issue is getting a decent stadium for Manly and playing their games at a time fans will go to games ie. not Thursday night.

Manly's problems have nothing to do with crowds, they're basically broke, their stadium is f**ked and it ain't getting replaced or fixed up anytime soon, they are parochial and almost always refuse to think outside of their little box, and anytime that they do think outside of their box they are forced back into that box by a team that hasn't been in the NRL for 20 years bitching and moaning that Manly is encroaching into 'their' area.
Basically they're being run like it's still the 1970s and they are f**ked if they keep going the way that they are going, and even if by chance they do manage to pull themselves out of the mire it's only a matter of time before they fall back into it.

Relocating the only club in NS out of NS is a bad idea, getting rid of Manly then giving NS to the Roosters seems pretty pointless to me (why get rid of Manly when they are salvageable and replace them with the Roosters who realistically haven't got a connection to the region like Manly does, it'd be unnecessary, it'd complicate everything, and it'd just present a whole host of new problems for the club to overcome) , and merging Manly and Easts is a dumb idea (cause mergers never work), but the Sea Eagles desperately need a complete overhaul of their business plan and their objectives and that overhaul has to include genuinely spreading out to engage all of the NS market, otherwise they're either doomed to always be a tiny fish in a big pond that could have been so much more, or they are stuffed once the Penn family moves on and nobody wants to bankroll them anymore...

TheFrog

Coach
Norths & Easts.... two very financially strong leagues clubs together. Wouldn't be surprised if Uncle Nick has seen the writing on the wall for Manly as a business and is ready to pick off carcass of the Sea Eagles... Roosters/Norths absorb Manly, become the Northern Roosters and encompass the eastern and northern beaches all the way to Gosford. Manly's licence is redistributed to a WA or Bris2 franchise.

Lol
And the Roosters get the Turbo Bros of course.

Big Salad

Juniors
It did fail miserably, but that was surely in part due to how successful Manly had been on the field during the SL war period and how close the merger happened to that period in general. The Wests Tigers aren't perfect and have their moments of friction, but have demonstrated it is possible.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It did fail miserably, but that was surely in part due to how successful Manly had been on the field during the SL war period and how close the merger happened to that period in general. The Wests Tigers aren't perfect and have their moments of friction, but have demonstrated it is possible.

Only cause for all intents and purposes one side of the merger is dead and has no power in the merger...

Same goes for St. Gorge-Illawarra except that the Dragons-Steelers merger was always more of a hostile takeover then a true merger.

Mergers never work as intended and always end up as one side of merger dominating the other and effectively consuming the other half to sustain themselves, and the only reason that it wasn't the Magpies that got completely consumed by the Tigers is cause Balmain completely ballsed up and sent themselves broke before they could completely finish killing off the Magpies control of the NRL team...

NRLMad

Juniors
If the sea eagles fall over, better to use the chance to reduce the number of Sydney clubs and just task an existing club with the task of representing the North.

Roosters seem the prime candidates
No way - You can’t give up on the top end of town. The North shore, North Sydney, over spit bridge to manly will be lost to AFL. I live in Mosman.

Re-merge norths with eagles best outcome. Super club, 20 teams add Perth n another NZ or Brisbane

NRLMad

Juniors
Only cause for all intents and purposes one side of the merger is dead and has no power in the merger...

Same goes for St. Gorge-Illawarra except that the Dragons-Steelers merger was always more of a hostile takeover then a true merger.

Mergers never work as intended and always end up as one side of merger dominating the other and effectively consuming the other half to sustain themselves, and the only reason that it wasn't the Magpies that got completely consumed by the Tigers is cause Balmain completely ballsed up and sent themselves broke before they could completely finish killing off the Magpies control of the NRL team...
Illawarra & Saints works. I followed saints, I don’t even think about it anymore.

YoHadrian

Juniors
No way - You can’t give up on the top end of town. The North shore, North Sydney, over spit bridge to manly will be lost to AFL. I live in Mosman.

Re-merge norths with eagles best outcome. Super club, 20 teams add Perth n another NZ or Brisbane

This is true, the South Melbourne Swans already seem to have a foothold amongst the jumper drapers, makes me sick. Anything that arrests the insidious creeping nature of this VFL aerial ping pong nonsense is fine by me.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Why wil it be lost to afl? Are they planning on putting a team in manly?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Illawarra & Saints works. I followed saints, I don’t even think about it anymore.

Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point that it was a hostile takeover and as such failed as for all intents and purposes they've basically murdered off the Illawarra portion of the 'merger' thus defeating the whole purpose of a merger in the first place...

For the Dragons merging with the Steelers was a means to an end, a stepping stone if you will, and kudos for them as it did work, but they never intended to 'merge' with the Steelers only to cannibalise them for their own survival, and as such as far as a merger goes it's a massive failure as just like pretty much every other merger in sporting history that's been 'successful' it's been 'successful' because one side of the partnership has successfully murdered the other and not cause they have successfully merged to create a new entity.

Putting grounds and teams in as many schools as possible. Funded by AFL.

Get the kids and the adults follow.

They've already done that in Canberra, they've periodically had multiple big pushes into local schools since the 90s (and probably before as well). They'll do the same in Manly and the rest of Northern Sydney with or without the Sea Eagles or any NRL club presence in Northern Sydney (frankly I'd be surprised if they don't already).
I know this is a novel idea but maybe if we spent less time worrying about what the AFL is doing and reacting to it, i.e. basically letting them dictate to us how we operate in this regard, and more time doing what is best for RL it wouldn't be as much of an issue, cause all the school kids would already have a Steeden in their hands cause the NRL would have already had their own big push into the schools!

As an aside there was a period down here about 5-6 years ago when the AFL and ACT gov were paying for new Aussie Rules posts to be put in to replace old sets at schools (and some public ovals as well), and as part of that they put some in to replace a handful of rugby and soccer posts on rectangular fields at schools around the town as well, so there were a handful of schools with soccer and rugby pitches that had Aussie Rules posts for a while (one was literally around the corner from where I live).
Most if not all of them are gone now as the posts have been changed back overtime, but it's a funny anecdote of some of the stuff that they do that you are so worried about...

Teddyboy

First Grade

Rugby League and dare I say Rugby Union need a solid presence in North Sydney and Manly be it pro/semi pro etc but maybe Manly play out of Rat Park and the Waratahs play half games at North Sydney but just don't give the in to Aussie Rules and Soccer please.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
And the Roosters get the Turbo Bros of course.

Hahaha I doubt the turbos would play for another Sydney club. They are Mona Vale/Manly through and through. I'd set them up as franchise players for a new outfit. Focus on them and the club being a family club. They are great role models and wouldn't want to lose them completey.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

My focus was more on the fact about Norths considering another go at a merge with Manly after they were dudded last time with the Northern Eagles debarcle. I believe "Once bitten, twice as shy" would apply.

Hawkins

Juniors
I hate Manly and this would weaken the club.

I say go for it, merge with the Sharks while your at it.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I hate Manly and this would weaken the club.

I say go for it, merge with the Sharks while your at it.

Personally I dislike Manly too and would love to see the Bears do to them what they did to the Bears in a scene of poetic justice.

The club is already on its administrative knees, and it's starting to show on the football field too.

If anything I say the Roosters could take over the region, they don't need to take over a 'North' moniker as Manly/North Sydney is still part of Sydney. Host a heritage game and maybe one other out of NSO as they now have the Bears affiliated with them, and a game or 2 up in Gosford. Abandon Brookie because it's falling apart, the remainder of games are then played at SCG/Allianz 2.0.

Latest posts