What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fittler Resigns

gordsy

Juniors
So Madge hey, not the worst choice but sad state of affairs when he is the best.
Hopefully someone else picks the team.

mozza91

Coach
Good selection. Bloke can obviously coach which immediately puts him a rung above Wavy Gravy.

His intensity will suit an Origin series and won’t be too much like it’s proven to be at club level.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not a fan of Madge as coach. Bloke had a solid start to his coaching career. But Souths slowly turned to average under him and he took the Tigers from 9th to wooden spooners. I don't think he would be the right coach for motivating a team and getting 2 wins out of 3 games with a short preparation for them.

We need a coach who has a vision for the side and picks a team to play that way. Even if it looks like an unconventional team at first. Slater made some questionable calls, but then you hear his reasoning for it and you straight away know the bloke has picked the right side and has a plan in place.

NSW haven't had that in.... well I can't remember the last time we had that. Brad Fittler just did shit that seemed completely random and his reasoning for it was random too. Even when he tried to be logical he f**ked it up. So from that perspective you would think Madge is doing to be better than that.

I can't see him throwing a hooker in at centre when he has a bloke like Cam Murray on the bench. Or leaving his best second rowers on the bench to start a game etc.

Reflector

Juniors
Listen here you twerps, those maroon merkins out there dont care about you and your blue shirts, they think you're f**kn weak, you go out there and fkn f**k f**king show them whos boss, right fkn now!!!!!
Is Madge going to deliver the pre-game speeches or is he going to arrange a special guest appearance from Guenther Steiner?

isaiah

Bench
Yeah, I can't see Bellamy revisiting the role. However if he did, I'd expect he'd be more successful than his last stint. Not just because of the quality of the opposition but because he has better players to work with.

It was always going to be difficult in the post-Joey era. Even so, they went onto lose Minichiello, Gasnier, Bird, Mason, B. Stewart, Wing etc. and their selections were all over the place. Players like Peter Wallace virtually came out of nowhere to nab a halfback jersey, players like Watmough were left out despite being the best second rower in the competition and it just seemed like there was a lot of bias in play.

That era got me thinking about what an ideal 17 would have looked like in 2008. What if everyone was available, what if they were in-form and this is what I came up with.

1. Brett Stewart 2. Anthony Minichiello 3. Mark Gasnier 4. Jamie Lyon 5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Braith Anasta 7. Matt Orford
8. Luke Bailey 9. Danny Buderus 10. Brent Kite 11. Anthony Watmough 12. Ryan Hoffman 13. Greg Bird

14. Craig Wing 15. Willie Mason 16. Paul Gallen 17. Luke Lewis

With Cooper, Monaghan, Gidley, Ryles, O'Meley, O'Donnell, Kimmorley etc. in the squad

It's an interesting era to look back on because the Blues had been so dominant just before. Was it bad luck? Bad preparation? On the coaches? Or on the players?
Plus Inglis if their hierarchy had a brain to share between them

isaiah

Bench
I reckon he'd be good with the right assistants. Man knows how to get his players up for a match. His us against the world attitude might work for Origin and be a funny opposition to QLDs underdogs routine.
Assistants? Do you anyone as clever as Josh Hannay?

Big Pete

Referee
The issue Freddy had was that he struggled to face adversity. As 2021 showed, when he was able to pick from a full strength field, he was able to mop the floor with the Maroons. However when he had to make compromises, he struggled and would often make strange selections that lacked any rhyme or reason.

If you watch a lot of Channel 9 content, you'll hear Brad say he doesn't pick his team until he has to. While there's some truth to it, I also think he has an ideal team in mind from the jump. In my view, if you asked Brad what the core of the team would have looked like before the season started, this would be it:

1. James Tedesco
2. Brian To'o
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Joseph Suaalii
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Payne Haas
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Liam Martin
12. Angus Crichton
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Junior Paulo
15. Cameron Murray
16. Jack Wighton

With 17 being left open for a form player or a promising up and comer who just needed an opportunity to take his game to the next level.

That's a quality side and the Maroons would have struggled to beat it, but there were so many issues and disruptions, the Blues couldn't name that team.

Firstly you had Suaalii announce his departure to Rugby and his form suffered as a result, so much so, he was never in the frame. Jake missed the opening two games through injury, Angus Crichton had more pressing matters with his mental health and Jack Wighton straight up retired. Even so, the Blues had enough weapons in their team, right up until Latrell Mitchell pulled the pin.

I'm curious to hear what actually happened with Latrell because from reports the injury should have only kept him out for a week or two. Yet, he ended up missing the entire series, was the injury more severe than what was reported or was Latrell being unprofessional?

There were other issues with the camp as well. If I recall correct, both Murray and Martin struggled to train and only had a couple of sessions which is why they took a back-seat etc.

Still, that doesn't excuse selections like Tevita Pangai Jr and Stefano Utoikamanu. Nor does it excuse the way Nicho Hynes was treated both on the field and off of it. It was those type of moves that really highlighted Freddy's weaknesses and showed the lack of foresight.

If there's any consolation, I think one of the reason why Bradman's debut was so successful is because of the Emerging Pathways system. That's what a successful system should look like - you bring these players through from U/16 and when an opportunity presents itself you back them and more often than not it's more successful than chucking in some random flavour of the month selection.

blue bags

First Grade
Madge. NSW. NZ kiwis . as issues.
What will happen if NZ kiwis are playing on same weekend as NSW blues vs QLD maroons
Madge is contracted to team's
Blue's and kiwis
🤔

Latest posts