What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Braith fits in Roosters cap???

bluesbreaker

Bench
Haha, Parra logic: Well, we poach all the talent we can, but the Roosters have been more successful at it, boo them!

bluesbreaker

Bench
Btw, I couldn't give a flying f**k about the Roosters' salary cap, or Parra poaching players, it's just funny to see you whining hypocrites in action.

LESStar58

Referee
m0j0 said:
You still think you're a chance of getting Orford?

I am quietly confident that we will. Why? Two words: Ben Ross. Orford claims he wants to stay. Then we signed Crocker. Now its very likely we'll get benny Ross and we have a marginally improved forward pack. If we can get Ross I think Orford will stay. He certainly would have made a decision by now if he wanted to go to Manly seeing as the deal was tabled a week ago!

Bottom line, same price tag from both Eagles and Storm for the same length of time. He'll pay behind a good forward pack wherever he decides to go. The only reason he'll go to Manly is to be closer to his family.

LESStar58

Referee
I'd like to know where harrison would play next year? Would he go to lock with Flannery moving into the second row?

m0j0

Bench
LESStar58 said:
Then we signed Crocker. Now its very likely we'll get benny Ross and we have a marginally improved forward pack.

By that quote, I take it you are confident that Crocker can turn things around next year and start playing real football. I hope for your sake he does. I liked Crocker's game last year but he's spent less time playing footy and more time just doing stupid stuff.

Maybe it's the "alledged" disharmony with his teammates at the Roosters that's affected his attitude this year and maybe a change of team (and state) will do wonders for his game and take him back to the form that got him representative selection in the first place (except when he plays the Roosters of course).

LESStar58

Referee
I must admit that I am concerned about Crocker especially after the weekend against Tigers. I think he has the ability to become a real impact player. I'm not saying hes the next Tallis like some people but the fact is he has played Origin and for Australia. Obviously he has friends in the team (Slater, Smith and *crosses fingers* Ross) bt i think he will excel under Craig Bellamy.

He just needs to control his temper....on your second point m0j0 I really hope you are right. $300,000 a season doesnt so alot of good sitting on the sidelines or in the grand stand.

Kiwi

First Grade
Renowned League Expert said:
The Roosters have lost more quality players to the salary cap, and let go more quality players, than any other club over the last four or five seasons.

Barnett
Lam
Bonetti
Mullins
Widders
Sing
Cusack
Heggarty
Solomona
Barnhill
Byrne
Andrew Walker
Fletcher
Fittler
Crocker
Green
Lomu
Hodges
Grothe

And that's just the obvious ones.

So don't tell me the cap isn't biting.

And the list of players signed is probably almost as long.

The funny thing is, I count atleast 8 of those players who were signed from other clubs.

Of that list, 4 retired, 2 left for the UK, 1 left for union, 2 we released ( might have been 3, couldn't remember if Lomu was released ). So thats atleast 6 off that list that could not be considered Salary Cap victims. I also would say Cusack and Byrne weren't either, they were not signed whilst the Roosters were signing other players from other clubs.

Nuffy

Bench
The salary cap is a convenient excuse for the Roosters to punt blokes whilst bringing in higher paid players.

As for signing Harrison and Anasta and losing a brace of players to accomodate them, olympic class bullsh*t.

Crocker was on a very low contract signed before he was a rep player, Firman has been paid out so his Roosters portion is still attributable to the cap, Ricketson was on a lowball contract signed as an afterthought due to Roosters fans kicking up a stink, Cayless was still on the contract he signed as a reserve grader from Parra. None of this adds up to a massive windfall of new money.

Plus the Roosters have upgraded Flannerys contract, Finch's, Tupou's and signed Harrison and looking at Anasta, Harrison and Anasta have to be a min 600K of new money

To add to a team that contains Wing, Fitzgibbon, Mini, Cross, Morley, Mona's, Roberts.

Then you have to factor in auto upgrades for the young blokes who make FG like Soward?

Even making an allowance for a discount to join a successful roster........it is a roster stacked with current origin and australian reps and top liners in every position.

It makes you wonder how the Roosters can spend 3.25M and assemble a team like that whilst other teams spend the same money and have no where near the same quality of roster.

It just seems too good to be true!

Kiwi

First Grade
Nuffy said:
The salary cap is a convenient excuse for the Roosters to punt blokes whilst bringing in higher paid players.

As for signing Harrison and Anasta and losing a brace of players to accomodate them, olympic class bullsh*t.

Crocker was on a very low contract signed before he was a rep player, Firman has been paid out so his Roosters portion is still attributable to the cap, Ricketson was on a lowball contract signed as an afterthought due to Roosters fans kicking up a stink, Cayless was still on the contract he signed as a reserve grader from Parra. None of this adds up to a massive windfall of new money.

Plus the Roosters have upgraded Flannerys contract, Finch's, Tupou's and signed Harrison and looking at Anasta, Harrison and Anasta have to be a min 600K of new money

To add to a team that contains Wing, Fitzgibbon, Mini, Cross, Morley, Mona's, Roberts.

Then you have to factor in auto upgrades for the young blokes who make FG like Soward?

Even making an allowance for a discount to join a successful roster........it is a roster stacked with current origin and australian reps and top liners in every position.

It makes you wonder how the Roosters can spend 3.25M and assemble a team like that whilst other teams spend the same money and have no where near the same quality of roster.

It just seems too good to be true!

Actually on Cayless.....He signed a new deal a few years ago. Fittler took a "pay cut" so the Roosters could give him a new 2 year deal.

Nuffy

Bench
Kiwi

You may be right, but lets say theres a 100k variation in the amount, still seems a pretty amazing roster compared to most other clubs who may have one or two stars and 3-4 topliners with the rest as solid FG'ers or up and comers.

I'm yet to see a plausible explaination on how the salary cap is actually distributing the talent.............the Roosters lose a Todd Bryne and pick up a Roberts AND Mona's.

Plus I will ask the same question of the Eels, they went on a spending spree last year of at least 1M. After spending that sort of money.............guess what, they can still sign everyone of their name players who are off contract as well as giving Hindmarsh a upgrade, now thats quite an achievement.

Kiwi

First Grade
Nuffy said:
Kiwi

You may be right, but lets say theres a 100k variation in the amount, still seems a pretty amazing roster compared to most other clubs who may have one or two stars and 3-4 topliners with the rest as solid FG'ers or up and comers.

I'm yet to see a plausible explaination on how the salary cap is actually distributing the talent.............the Roosters lose a Todd Bryne and pick up a Roberts AND Mona's.

Plus I will ask the same question of the Eels, they went on a spending spree last year of at least 1M. After spending that sort of money.............guess what, they can still sign everyone of their name players who are off contract as well as giving Hindmarsh a upgrade, now thats quite an achievement.

I Kinda agree, but when I look at that roster, it ain't all that flash. I think if the rooters lose Walker, Webb, Crocker, Ricketson, and Cayless and sign Harrison and Anasta, then I don't really see a problem. If they sign any more i'd be doing a double take and wondering what the f**k is going on.

Nuffy

Bench
The roster next year will include:

Harrison SOO
Anasta........assuming he signs SOO
Morley International
Cross Rep
Wing SOO / Aust
Mini SOO / Aust
Roberts Rep
Monas Rep
Finch
Topou
Fitzgibbon SOO / Aust
Flannery SOO

Have I missed any? Thats 7 current SOO reps in one team???????

Bumble

First Grade
Nuffy said:
The roster next year will include:

Harrison SOO
Anasta........assuming he signs SOO
Morley International
Cross Rep
Wing SOO / Aust
Mini SOO / Aust
Roberts Rep
Monas Rep
Finch
Topou
Fitzgibbon SOO / Aust
Flannery SOO

Have I missed any? Thats 7 current SOO reps in one team???????

Every member of their first grade starting 13 next year will have played rep football in the last 2 years.

OH, except Soliola.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Bumble said:
Every member of their first grade starting 13 next year will have played rep football in the last 2 years.

OH, except Soliola.

Tri-nations at the end of the year, he'll be there so make that the whole side. Has Monaghan played rep footy though?

Phillips

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
Tri-nations at the end of the year, he'll be there so make that the whole side. Has Monaghan played rep footy though?

only City/Country Origin

Moffo

Referee
its nothing more than another reason to hate the roosters for mine, thats about it

nqboy

First Grade
Renowned League Expert said:
No longer wanted, my arse. We would have liked to have kept 90% of them.

Who have we signed over the last 5 years?

2001 - Morley
2002 - Mullins, Cayless, Robinson, Hodges
2003 - Finch, Catic, Payton, Walker (mid season)
2004 - Lester

Now balance that against the players we have lost.

2005 - Monaghan, Roberts, Firman, Fa'aoso. And none of those came cheap. And then you had to upgrade Mini, Fitzy, Cayless and Tupou inter alia along the way. And you're probably still paying for Hodges to play for Brisbane.

That list of releases posted earlier is a joke. There's hardly a player in there that was on a decent wage at the time he was released.

nqboy said:
2005 - Monaghan, Roberts, Firman, Fa'aoso. And none of those came cheap. And then you had to upgrade Mini, Fitzy, Cayless and Tupou inter alia along the way. And you're probably still paying for Hodges to play for Brisbane.

That list of releases posted earlier is a joke. There's hardly a player in there that was on a decent wage at the time he was released.

I love these mysterious "upgrades" so popular to the kids at LU.

Your last statement is so ridiculous it doesn't deserve a response.