What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brand new NRL club formed, created for Sydney

What are your thoughts on the Gold Coast Bears?
  • North Sydney already own the Tweed Seagulls leagues club
  • Seagulls colours are white red and black
  • Burleigh Bears use the NS Bears old logo, Norths could merge with them and have the two GC Q Cup teams as feeders
  • Gives the GC a team with history that dates back to the dawn of the game in Australia
  • Gives the Bears their spot back in the NRL
  • GC Bears would draw more away fans in Sydney than the GC Titans would
I know it won't happen and the Titans are actually starting to find their feet as a brand but it is fun to have these hypothetical discussions.
I reckon it could work. Burleigh Bears are a big club and based close to Robina Stadium, so it makes sense. It gives the local RL scene representation. My only fear is the media would focus so much on the North Sydney connection that locals forget about Burleigh Bears and think it's just a transported Sydney club.

I wish Queensland's clubs used mascots that are culturally relevant to the state. Brands like Broncos, Cowboys and Titans are rip-offs of gridiron teams. Bears are also a gridiron team. The only good thing about "Titans" is it sort of fits in with the Gold Coast Vikings representative team that played in the old statewide league until 1995. My preference would be for Titans to work out some sort of deal with Valleys to become the Gold Coast Diehards. Royal blue with green and gold would be a great colour scheme that symbolises the region. The 'Diehards' brand fits in well with the Ironman surf competition that is popular among Gold Coasters.

Gold Coast Ironmen?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I reckon it could work. Burleigh Bears are a big club and based close to Robina Stadium, so it makes sense. It gives the local RL scene representation. My only fear is the media would focus so much on the North Sydney connection that locals forget about Burleigh Bears and think it's just a transported Sydney club.

I wish Queensland's clubs used mascots that are culturally relevant to the state. Brands like Broncos, Cowboys and Titans are rip-offs of gridiron teams. Bears are also a gridiron team. The only good thing about "Titans" is it sort of fits in with the Gold Coast Vikings representative team that played in the old statewide league until 1995. My preference would be for Titans to work out some sort of deal with Valleys to become the Gold Coast Diehards. Royal blue with green and gold would be a great colour scheme that symbolises the region. The 'Diehards' brand fits in well with the Ironman surf competition that is popular among Gold Coasters.

Gold Coast Ironmen?

The Ironmen is actually a really cool name idea for a Gold Coast team

MugaB

Coach
  • Burleigh Bears use the NS Bears old logo, Norths could merge with them and have the two GC Q Cup teams as feeders
  • Gives the GC a team with history that dates back to the dawn of the game in Australia
I know it won't happen and the Titans are actually starting to find their feet as a brand but it is fun to have these hypothetical discussions.
Won't happen they were already at loggerheads with each other a few years ago, when Norths tried to buy the GC titans Franchise, so they could become the Gold Coast Bears, Burleigh was about take legal avenues for the use of the Bears moniker in GC.
Either way won't happen now. Plus Burleigh are Maroon, not red, and itll just be another "Northern Eagles" type mess, id much prefer that Burleigh just get a promotion, if the titans would ever fold.
OR....
Either that or bring North Sydney Bears to the Tweed/Byron bay/Kingscliff area, as the "Northern River Bears" as long as they aren't affiliated with anything QLD, the bears could capitalise on that northern NSW Country area north of Newcastle's Catchments, and make the Titans catchment take more south Brisbane/Logan area and less Tweed/Northern NSW.

A pure Country NSW team that could play in a few locales, a few games in Tweed, Lismore, Kingscliff, Grafton then down to Coffs Harbour and be based in Byron Bay for about 6-8 home games, with a few trials at the smaller towns

Last edited:
Won't happen they were already at loggerheads with each other a few years ago, when Norths tried to buy the GC titans Franchise, so they could become the Gold Coast Bears, Burleigh was about take legal avenues for the use of the Bears moniker in GC.
Either way won't happen now. Plus Burleigh are Maroon, not red, and itll just be another "Northern Eagles" type mess, id much prefer that Burleigh just get a promotion, if the titans would ever fold.
OR....
Either that or bring North Sydney Bears to the Tweed/Byron bay/Kingscliff area, as the "Northern River Bears" as long as they aren't affiliated with anything QLD, the bears could capitalise on that northern NSW Country area north of Newcastle's Catchments, and make the Titans catchment take more south Brisbane/Logan area and less Tweed/Northern NSW.

A pure Country NSW team that could play in a few locales, a few games in Tweed, Lismore, Kingscliff, Grafton then down to Coffs Harbour and be based in Byron Bay for about 6-8 home games, with a few trials at the smaller towns
That's the sort of direction the NSW Cup needs to take. The area north of Newcastle isn't large enough to field a team in the NRL, but a team in the NSW Cup would be great for the local community and provide a solid pathway to NRL for local players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any new club is going to have to be able to generate around $28million in revenue. NRL covers $13mill so that leaves $15mill a year to raise. That's a lot of memberships, tickets, merch, sponsors and corporate box sales you need to be able to sell.

Unless the NRL dictates total expenditure of a club and brings it down to around $20mill, the idea of regional clubs is fanciful at best.

Styles clash

Juniors

Sideline the local Gold Coast identity so boomers and gen x in Sydney can feel nostalgic? Horrible idea.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
manly eagles to play in nsw cup, with the north Sydney bears
dragons, sharks, merge
eagles been in a lot of financial trouble before
same with dragons
sharks could lose there stadium to developers

Can't develop the stadium it's zoned recreational and Council will ensure it stays that way ,as well as the surrounding residents.

Nuke

Staff member
Manly Warringah were the seagulls?
Before The eagle ?
I understand this to be true. Probably one of those unofficial nicknames clubs had before making an official mascot. IE: 'Cantabs' and 'Berries' for Canterbury before they were the Bulldogs, ect.

blue bags

First Grade
I understand this to be true. Probably one of those unofficial nicknames clubs had before making an official mascot. IE: 'Cantabs' and 'Berries' for Canterbury before they were the Bulldogs, ect.
Newtown jet's. We're Newtown Blue bags
North Sydney Bears. Had a another mascot before using the new Bears mascot
Parramatta eels were going to change to the Parramatta RAMS
😉

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I miss the Magpies, Tigers, Bears and Steelers, despite being a Queenslander. I really miss the BRL, especially the Logan Scorpions.

When your favourite club goes bust it changes your views on the game. When I watch the Queensland Cup these days I feel sad and angry because the Scorpions aren't in it. I've adopted Wynnum as my new club, but I'll always be a Scorpions fan. I wish the club was brought back.
videotogif_2022.12.24_01.08.50.gif

Pippen94

First Grade

This is pretty much what should have happened in the 90's post SL war. Leave the old traditional clubs at their traditional grounds in the NSW Cup as a Shute Shield type comp. Let the traditionalists to go Brooky, North Sydney Oval, Leichardt, Kograh etc. Then create a Sydney City, Western Sydney, Northern Sydney and Southern Sydney franchise from scratch.

Then today we could have an NRL that looked like this:
North QLD Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Brisbane Firehawk Dolphin Bombers
Gold Coast Titans
Auckland Warriors
Christchurch Bulls
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Roos
North Sydney Lattes
Sydney City Manbuns
South Sydney Crowes (Rusty buys into the club and insists on it ;))
Western Sydney Bogans
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds

and a NSW Cup that looked like this:
Balmain Tigers
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Eastern Suburbs Roosters
Illawarra Cutters
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Newtown Jets
North Sydney Bears
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies

NSW cup would rate higher than that superleague lol

Pippen94

First Grade
I miss the Magpies, Tigers, Bears and Steelers, despite being a Queenslander. I really miss the BRL, especially the Logan Scorpions.

When your favourite club goes bust it changes your views on the game. When I watch the Queensland Cup these days I feel sad and angry because the Scorpions aren't in it. I've adopted Wynnum as my new club, but I'll always be a Scorpions fan. I wish the club was brought back.

Logan weren't even part of brl when it was top level i.e. before broncos existed

MugaB

Coach
Merger between nswrl & brl top clubs would've been most lucrative league
QRL and ARL you mean, in 1988 having the broncos and GC was a great stepping stone to what followed after with NQ, NZ etc, but instead of the SQ crushers, they shouldve bump up either of Easts, Redcliffe, Wynuum, Falcons,or Jets etc,
Either one of these would have been better than what transpired
...i know they are only starting to do it now, but it was a missed opportunity, even having Burleigh Bears instead of the Titans was a miss too
Having them would have added a maroon/black color combo (great for qld) and put to bed NS bears struggle to reach top flight (whilst still having a strong bear logo/brand present in the NRL)

Last edited:

Latest posts