What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breath on the neck

Meth

Staff member
We aren't a BAD defensive team.

We aren't?

You could've fooled me with all those missed tackles on the weekend.

v Tigers
Team 60 +
Moon 13 tackles, 5 missed tackles
Mateo 23 tackles, 7 missed tackles

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I'd drop the likes of Matulino or Lillyman for Ta'ai.

Or you could drop Moon and play Brown in the centres. That frees up a bench spot for Ta'ai.

Meth

Staff member
I'd drop the likes of Matulino or Lillyman for Ta'ai.

Or you could drop Moon and play Brown in the centres. That frees up a bench spot for Ta'ai.

Or push Ropati to the wing, and push Brown to that centre. Introduce Ta'ai

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I really don't get all this Luck hate??? It's not his fault that he gets passed the ball in the opposition 20m. It's not his fault that Mannering is a similar player and is the captain.

If you took Luck out of the team, our defense would fall apart.

Absolute complete 100% disagree.

Our defense may not be as strong, but to say it would fall apart is a slap in the face to every other player on the field who is capable of making tackles without Luck holding their hand.

There are 13 players on the field at any given time (or 14 in Souths case) and if they have the right attitude to defense then that can more than compensate for Luck not being there.

Rich102

Staff member
That was Packer.

Rapira strikes me as a mature, straight to the point kind of guy, and is certainly a leader with his playing style. No idea whether his personality is that way inclined though.

Problem with a prop as captain is that he is off the field half the game. Unless he is Steve Price.
Maybe Mannering will grow into it but I have been disappointed with his captaincy.

Rich102

Staff member
As I see it attacking strategies are coached into a team not left to individuals to make up as they go along. They should know in the opposition 20 who is going to take the ball & what they are going to do with it.
This is basic stuff and yet we can't do it.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Absolute complete 100% disagree.

Our defense may not be as strong, but to say it would fall apart is a slap in the face to every other player on the field who is capable of making tackles without Luck holding their hand.

There are 13 players on the field at any given time (or 14 in Souths case) and if they have the right attitude to defense then that can more than compensate for Luck not being there.

Then you're 100% wrong! Just like a strong link in a chain, or a keystone in an archway. If you remove that vital link, the whole thing falls apart. Luck is vital to our defensive effort.

The amount of hate towards Luck is mis-directed. It's our attack and attacking plays that need sorting out. I don't see how dropping our best defensive forward, is meant to remedy that. If anything, it puts even more pressure on our attacking game, because the opposition will be scoring more points, due to our inferior defense.

Rich102

Staff member
Luck takes on a huge amount of defensive work - and does it well. (Eels, 59 tackles 0 missed!)
This should leave room for two attacking players in the back three. Do we make use of this?
Mannering is defence orientated as well. That leaves 1. How hard is it for the opposition to know where the attack is coming from?:?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
lol disagree with someone so you just claim their wrong. You do realise that your own analogy strengthens my argument more than it does yours? A chain is more than one link, and Luck can't be every link.

Anyway, just like you've made up your mind I've made up mine so it's not really worth debating for the 100th time. As I've previously said anyway, there's no way anyone will know who's right or wrong until Luck is not there for an extended period of time.

Warmess

Juniors
Then you're 100% wrong! Just like a strong link in a chain, or a keystone in an archway. If you remove that vital link, the whole thing falls apart. Luck is vital to our defensive effort.

The amount of hate towards Luck is mis-directed. It's our attack and attacking plays that need sorting out. I don't see how dropping our best defensive forward, is meant to remedy that. If anything, it puts even more pressure on our attacking game, because the opposition will be scoring more points, due to our inferior defense.

Hey, if we had any form of attacking structure, I'd be all for keeping Luck. But we don't. We rely on individuals to get over the line, and that's something Luck will never do.

When he was out last year, I don't really remember our defense suddenly falling apart or us leaking sooo many more tries.

I'm fully aware he's Clearys toy boy so there's no chance of him being dropped, but in a Cleary coached side, he's one of the ones that should be gone.

IMO. :p

NZ Warrior

First Grade
lol disagree with someone so you just claim their wrong. You do realise that your own analogy strengthens my argument more than it does yours? A chain is more than one link, and Luck can't be every link.

Anyway, just like you've made up your mind I've made up mine so it's not really worth debating for the 100th time. As I've previously said anyway, there's no way anyone will know who's right or wrong until Luck is not there for an extended period of time.

Uummm, I never claimed Luck WAS the chain or the archway.

But anyway, if you're gonna walk away. I'm not going to waste my time further.

If you hate Luck that much, start a Haters' Society. That's what I'd do.

hitman82

Bench
We aren't?

You could've fooled me with all those missed tackles on the weekend.

v Tigers
Team 60 +
Moon 13 tackles, 5 missed tackles
Mateo 23 tackles, 7 missed tackles

Haha, you got me there.

I think everyone will agree last season we matured as a defensive team, and generally aren't noted for being poor in that respect.

Quite the opposite with attack - everyone knows "... to Manu" is 50% of our attack and the rest is fluke.

I'm thinking more in terms of points conceded for the first 2 games. it obviously wasn't the best, but we certainly didn't get thrashed.

My point is, replacing Luck with Ta'ai won't necessarily cost us games through having less defense. Other guys will pick up the slack. But it COULD win us games through the added size, aggression and ball-playing skill that a rampaging islander brings.

hitman82

Bench
...Did anyone see Mateo and Ta'ai playing together for Tonga?? They were awesome.

11.Mannering (boring tackle drone)
12.Ta'ai (crushing everyone who comes his way, while rampaging and throwing great passes)
13.Mateo (doing what he was bought to do, hopefully with runners alongside him...)

17.Brown or Lousi

=ruthless

JoeD

First Grade
I also think Luck should go however I think Moon is even worse. He's had one good game? Whets wrong with Berrigan in the centers?

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
You guys have know idea!

Luck, he just gets in the way all the time. He uses up to much first receiver/ playmaker ball. He stifles the play in the attacking zone.

Seymour, mud... nuf said

Moon, such a great centre in the trials, but doesn't translate to the real thing

Ivan Cleary, how many times do I have to tell everyone 'Get rid off him'

Luck, Moon, Seymour and Cleary GONE!

Hohaia and Packer to be dropped for a game, to many knock-on's

Lousi.....Sam thanks

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Uummm, I never claimed Luck WAS the chain or the archway.

But anyway, if you're gonna walk away. I'm not going to waste my time further.

If you hate Luck that much, start a Haters' Society. That's what I'd do.

If you weren't claiming that then you're analogy is even more redundant.

I don't hate Luck,. I've said countless times that when he came to the club he was needed and has done a great job, but at some point you have to make tough decisions to continue moving forward. This Warriors team isn't moving forward, it is going stale, and imo Luck is one of those cogs that need changing.

Meth

Staff member
You guys have know idea!

Luck, he just gets in the way all the time. He uses up to much first receiver/ playmaker ball. He stifles the play in the attacking zone.

Seymour, mud... nuf said

Moon, such a great centre in the trials, but doesn't translate to the real thing

Ivan Cleary, how many times do I have to tell everyone 'Get rid off him'

Luck, Moon, Seymour and Cleary GONE!

Hohaia and Packer to be dropped for a game, to many knock-on's

Lousi.....Sam thanks

Who are you talking to that 'us guys have know idea'? These ideas of yours don't seem to be radically different from the general consensus. Your idea on Luck is what at least 50% of the forum is saying. Nobody has been touting Moon's performances in the last two games, nor Seymour, nor Hohaia. Cleary isn't loved on here. Just where is your revelatory idea? Is it to introduce Sam Lousi? :lol:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
If you weren't claiming that then you're analogy is even more redundant.

I don't hate Luck,. I've said countless times that when he came to the club he was needed and has done a great job, but at some point you have to make tough decisions to continue moving forward. This Warriors team isn't moving forward, it is going stale, and imo Luck is one of those cogs that need changing.

Maybe I should use colourful pictures instead of analogies next time.

Look, if you don't start a Micheal Luck Haters' Society, I don't see any point in continuing this argument.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Who are you talking to that 'us guys have know idea'? These ideas of yours don't seem to be radically different from the general consensus. Your idea on Luck is what at least 50% of the forum is saying. Nobody has been touting Moon's performances in the last two games, nor Seymour, nor Hohaia. Cleary isn't loved on here. Just where is your revelatory idea? Is it to introduce Sam Lousi? :lol:

To be honest, I stopped reading after the "you guys have know idea" bit.

Latest posts